Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:50 PM
eok eok started this thread

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times

Advertisements

What is the area called, south of 264, west of 65, north of the Gene Snyder, and east of highway 31? That whole big area, from the airport, to the area around Iroquois Park, to the area around Waverly Park, etc.

Are the neighborhoods in that area mostly good or bad? I'm going through that area soon to get some gas and to explore a little. I noticed on Gasbuddy that the lowest gas prices in or around Louisville are in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 08:50 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
It is not the best neighborhood. Parts of it are okay and other parts not so much.

Do check out Iroquois Park though - love that park! I can see why you might be drawn to Waverly Hills around Halloween...It always makes those tv lists of Most Haunted Places in America. I had a friend go to spend the night there, and said it was super creepy.

My Mother lives off of Southern Parkway, and it is a pretty street for the most part, I think...but some of the areas around there....not so much.
I went to stay with my Mother when she was sick several years back, and my son called and told me not to go for my nightly walk (I like to take a walk around the neighborhood in the early evenings, because he checked it out online, and it was a hot bed of crime surrounding the area (according my son, and the info he garnished from online). I have tried to get my Mother to move, but to no avail......she has lived there for years, and refuses to budge anywhere else, and her place is really too big for her...oh, well she is stubborn and won't hear of it!

If I were to move back to Louisville, it wouldn't be my first choice of where to live, but like I said Iroquois Park is great, be sure to check the outlooks up top!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What is the area called, south of 264, west of 65, north of the Gene Snyder, and east of highway 31? That whole big area, from the airport, to the area around Iroquois Park, to the area around Waverly Park, etc.

Are the neighborhoods in that area mostly good or bad? I'm going through that area soon to get some gas and to explore a little. I noticed on Gasbuddy that the lowest gas prices in or around Louisville are in that area.
I'm also not sure on the formal name but that area around Waverly park has really nice homes until you reach Dixie hwy.

Area appears to Be called Parkwood. The areas around Noss high school and ST Anthony Church rd also are sought after areas.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
In general that area doesn't have any neighborhood name until you get back into the city limits east of Iroquois Park where it is called Southside and Auburndale. In general the hilly areas are upper middle class with lots of newer subdivisions. I consider everything off St Anthony Church Rd,3rd Street Rd, etc safe. North of the park is pretty rough and east of park is hit or miss.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:12 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
It's not the greatest. I used to live there on Bellevue. The area around Bellevue isn't too bad. It's a lot of blue collar, borderline white trash. Not a whole lot of crime. Some car break-ins but nothing ever happened to me or my roommates. I wast still uncomfortable walking out at night or leaving my windows open even while I was home. That specific area is Beechmont. I mean for the location and price of homes and apartments down there, it's a great neighborhood. There are plenty of worse neighborhoods, but also plenty of better ones. However, the areas surrounding it on basically all sides are pretty bad. Nothing like the West End, but much more dangerous and...idk how to say nicely...but trashier than the East End. Coming from West LA, growing up in the beach cities of Los Angeles, it was a huge culture shock to me seeing how dirty and trashy the streets were, the homes were not very well kept, the people did not seem to be to the most cultured, and I was always afraid of my car getting broken into since it was the only nice German car for a several block radius. TBH, I don't think I recalled ever even seeing another German car parked in the neighborhood.

When discussing where I used to live with people from the East End, they've compared it as the white version of the West End.

And before anyone says my post is hateful or anything. Yeah. I admit it. I'm not used to living around that environment. I never have. It's way out of my comfort level. I knew people from school moving there and had never even been to Louisville yet so I had no idea what to expect. I now live in St. Matthews after that 1 year lease was up. The one time I went back there to pick up mail, the curbs were covered in junk ranging from plain ol trash, to cardboard, to couches.

Would I go back there voluntarily? No. Would I feel like my life was in danger if I did? No. If it was all I could afford for rent or housing some day, it's not the worst place to be.

As for the name, the only real part I know is where I was. Beechmont. They have a Beechmont farmer's market and something else named that as well. That area itself is actually very nice. It's just pretty close to some pretty rough areas.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:01 AM

68 posts, read 72,179 times
I'd like to piggy back on this thread if it's OK...I am considering this city as a place to move my, (out of my home), music lessons studio. Is this an area I should avoid if I wanted to attract students? Would people be afraid to bring their kids to me? I looked on google earth at street level all around this area. I didn't think any of it looked bad at all. The vast majority of the houses looked well kept. I didn't see litter all over the place. It looks like an average neighborhood with older homes. It may boil down to a personal perspective thing like Jessemh431 discussed, but frankly, I'm confused. No disrespect intended.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanp35comcast View Post
I'd like to piggy back on this thread if it's OK...I am considering this city as a place to move my, (out of my home), music lessons studio. Is this an area I should avoid if I wanted to attract students? Would people be afraid to bring their kids to me? I looked on google earth at street level all around this area. I didn't think any of it looked bad at all. The vast majority of the houses looked well kept. I didn't see litter all over the place. It looks like an average neighborhood with older homes. It may boil down to a personal perspective thing like Jessemh431 discussed, but frankly, I'm confused. No disrespect intended.
Definitely not! There are a lot of children in the neighborhood and quite a few schools as well. I never felt truly *unsafe* it was more a comfort level for me. It's not the feeling of a neighborhood I'm used to. And I mean that in the least disrespectful way possible. It's hard to talk about a neighborhood where people live and not say only positive things about it. It has many positive attributes, just for me, the East End feels more like home and my comfort level. I would in no way be afraid for my life if I could no longer afford the East End and had to move back to that neighborhood, I just wouldn't voluntarily move there if I could stay in the East End. The better eating, drinking, shopping, etc. options (for me) are all out here and that was a big draw for me. Again, personal taste. You won't have to worry about people being shot on your street or anything. While a student from the East End may not come to your music lessons, there are plenty of children in the area itself.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
There are only a handful or areas in that quadrant that I'd be leery of going to. Mainly from Iroquois HS north (used to be a notorious public housing complex there, was just torn down. First 48 crime show had many episodes there ) and along Strawberry Ln near Americana Apartments. Otherwise it's just more blue collar, few out of area transplants, and quite socially conservative. The big thing is geographic isolation. Most shopping, health care, and entertainment options are in other parts of the city. That doesn't make it bad. Most of it is actually middle class, some hilly areas upper middle class.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are only a handful or areas in that quadrant that I'd be leery of going to. Mainly from Iroquois HS north (used to be a notorious public housing complex there, was just torn down. First 48 crime show had many episodes there ) and along Strawberry Ln near Americana Apartments. Otherwise it's just more blue collar, few out of area transplants, and quite socially conservative. The big thing is geographic isolation. Most shopping, health care, and entertainment options are in other parts of the city. That doesn't make it bad. Most of it is actually middle class, some hilly areas upper middle class.
Yeah I lived north of Iroquois HS on Bellevue. Wasn't bad, but wasn't great.

I couldn't stand the isolation there though. It was close to school, but far from EVERYTHING. The closest malls, theaters, Targets, Panera, etc. basically anything besides McD's, Taco Bell, and DQ were all at least 10 minutes away, sometimes 20. Coming from West LA where I can get literally anything I want within 5 minutes, St. Matthews has proved to be more my comfort level. However, my roommates were from more rural areas and didn't mind being so isolated.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Definitely not! There are a lot of children in the neighborhood and quite a few schools as well. I never felt truly *unsafe* it was more a comfort level for me. It's not the feeling of a neighborhood I'm used to. And I mean that in the least disrespectful way possible. It's hard to talk about a neighborhood where people live and not say only positive things about it. It has many positive attributes, just for me, the East End feels more like home and my comfort level. I would in no way be afraid for my life if I could no longer afford the East End and had to move back to that neighborhood, I just wouldn't voluntarily move there if I could stay in the East End. The better eating, drinking, shopping, etc. options (for me) are all out here and that was a big draw for me. Again, personal taste. You won't have to worry about people being shot on your street or anything. While a student from the East End may not come to your music lessons, there are plenty of children in the area itself.
I don't know much about the primary area being discussed, but as a musician who grew up in Louisville, the place to be if giving guitar lessons is somewhere in or around the Highlands. It's a very art/music-friendly area and you will be able to attract people from all over the city to your lessons when in that neighborhood. Not to say that you couldn't succeed elsewhere, but it would be my first choice for a hood by a longshot if giving lessons was my intent. It might cost a bit more, but there's that risk-> reward thing going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area