Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:41 PM

59 posts, read 276,901 times

Advertisements

I was shocked to see...81 murders last year? I know Louisville is a BIG metro area, almost 700K? But 81 murders, that's high.

Although where I am had 14 I think and we are about 220K. 14 x 3 = 42...that's still twice as high sort of adjusted... Or is my math bad? Here, it was mainly drug people, the dregs I hate to say, doing the murders on one another w/one exception of a nut who killed a young lady for sheer perverted meanness.

Can you go about your bidness in L-ville? Use the bike paths, the parks in good sections, shop as late as 7 pm.? What I care is, can a person just go about and live in relative safety? Why is Lexington, which is not nearly as interesting as L-ville, showing less murders?

Around here, the worst thing about strangers walking up to you is them trying to go on and on about their church. Never had a beggar here, or anyone try to get my purse. etc.

I'm older than dirt! So I might be a nice target for someone!

I know, I am a scared old lady.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:08 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Default Mam, you feel our pain

Fact: Louisville should be embarrassed by its murder rate; however, IMO the black leadership (but not necessarily the very scared people living in the murder zones) won't demand, lead, or even allow the police and courts to bring peace and security to the poorest and most economically challenged areas of Louisville.

That being said, crime in most of Louisville is realitively low. I don't tolerate any, but then I moved from Louisville seven years ago just to get away from politics such as the current Democrat leadership of the city promotes.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:09 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
2007 was highly unusual with 81, and there are several reasons for that. Remember, that includes 3 instances of justifiable homicide, a domestic double murder suicide, and a college student leaving a new born in a bathroom. Normally our homicide rate is BY FAR the lowest in the region:

Homicide numbers in nearby cities:
Memphis 156
Indianapolis 125
Columbus OH 104
Nashville 75

So far this year there have only been 4, which is a rate for 48 for the year.

In 2006 there were only 55, and in 2005 there was only 59.

Even with the 81, Louisville still ranked as the 8th safest city in the US w/ 500k or more residents. City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Old 01-31-2008, 05:14 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Census, while I certainly endorse your outstanding ability with statistics, the absolute coldness they represent is horrible to me. (This reply is not a slam in anyway to Censusdata) It is however a slam on people who "tolerate" any crime, especially violent crime. Until our nation recognizes that it is passively supporting the death penalty without even a jury trial our murder rate will continue to explode as more thugs become jury, judge, & executioner themselves.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
So far this year there have only been 4, which is a rate for 48 for the year.

In 2006 there were only 55, and in 2005 there was only 59.

Even with the 81, Louisville still ranked as the 8th safest city in the US w/ 500k or more residents. City Crime Rankings by Population Group
As usual, great information from you.

2007 was an anomaly, thank goodness. Any is too much, but let's face it, we live in the real world.

The bottom line is that if your spouse doesn't shoot you and you aren't involved with drugs, you're pretty safe just about anywhere. And Louisville is very safe in comparison to almost any city of comparable size and make-up.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 AM

from O-T: "The bottom line is that if your spouse doesn't shoot you and you aren't involved with drugs..."

LOL. That's the kind of information that is helpful and that tells me that the crime is not exactly random, although I am sorry for the victims whoever they may be.

I just want to be able to go about my bidness. Where I live now, the crime rate is very, very low, but there is no interesting bidness to go about so that isn't helping much. L-ville's crime seems scary, because there seems to be very interesting bidness to go about there, and I don't want crime stopping me!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingCajun View Post
from O-T: "The bottom line is that if your spouse doesn't shoot you and you aren't involved with drugs..."
I need to find the web page that discussed that. Once you eliminate murders done by relatives and close friends, and then eliminate drug and gang activity, you really are not much at risk to be murdered. Not just in Louisville, but everywhere.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Here is 2008's murder map to date: courier-journal.com » Jefferson County homicide database

Old 01-31-2008, 12:36 PM

Here is one article from New York City, and it's an eye-opener:

New York City is on track to have fewer than 500 murders in 2007, by far the lowest amount in a 12-month period since reliable Police Department statistics became available in 1963.

But within the city’s official crime statistics is a perhaps even more striking figure: so far, with roughly half the killings analyzed, only 35 were found to be committed by strangers, a microscopic statistic in a city of 8.5 million. If that trend holds up, fewer than 100 murder victims in New York City this year would not have known the assailants who took their lives. The vast majority died in disputes with friends or acquaintances, with rival drug crew members or — to a far lesser degree — with boyfriends, girlfriends, parents and others.

Fewer New York Murders, and Even Fewer by Strangers - New York Times

Only 100 "stranger" killings in a city the size of NY is amazing. (Yes, that's still 100 too many, but out of 8.5 million?!?) I remember reading that this follows a national trend, and I see no reason why Louisville would not fit that pattern. So unless you have a spouse who is also your drug dealer, you are probably safe!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Ooops

I guess I should not have zeroed in on the murder rate.

What I was more concerned about was the idea of not being about to go about town without coming home and your house is vandalized, or something was stolen, or your porch swing was taken, or someone shot your dog. I have lived in places where you just could not live peacefully, even if TOTALLY PEACEFUL YOURSELF, because the bad element was always out and about making trouble. Sadly, that is the case in too many locales (not just cities) now. I don't know why the bad element is running loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area