Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:56 PM

67 posts, read 213,860 times

Advertisements

why does one assume, that all kids in bad neighborhoods are thugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 05:49 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beadster View Post
I have a really crazy idea. Why don't people demand that the school system invest in all their schools equally, so all students no matter what part of the city they are in, are getting the same equal education.
You must understand, its not about equality, its about race and the power of a few Uncle Tom's keeping every one happy on the plantation.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
People are not more "dumb" when they are not in a diverse situation. For example comparing a city kid to a country kid. the 2 can get the same education, and do just as well in college. The issue is the country kid does not get exposed to a vareity of cultures and different thinking compared to the city kid. Why does that matter, because one day that kid has to grow up, and live in a world where there is a variety of cultures, and has to learn to deal with that, as an adult. That is why diversification has importance in education.
It is a fact, in hispanic, and black dominated neighborhoods, the dollars, and investment, and teaching etc is not the same as in upsale, white dominated neighborhoods. So here again, make the school districts invest equally in all their schools, and you won't have to bus kids around at all. Because parents will want to send their kids to those schools, and diversity will develop in those schools naturally.
After you have finished your Kool Aid, as the actress says, "Can we talk?"

I live in a community where on the surface in a macro scale, it would appear that we are racist. The facts, however, when one pulls back the cover, is that we are the most diverse culture in America. Individuals of all colors, all races, and all ethnicities live totally in harmony. Economically we do segregate our homes, but even then we attend church together, we shop together, we attend school together, we dine together, and we enjoy conversing with each other.

When a teacher is capable of only 50% classroom teaching efficiency due to discipline and administrative details, then we aren't getting our money's worth.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 AM

So you are suggesting, all problem teachers have are because of black and hispanic kids, because they have to sepnd their time more on discipliing them. But you aren't racist right... I bet you don't even have any non white friends. You will be around blacks and hispanics, but you won't deal with them. That is not diversity my friend. And your suggestion that about blacks in classrooms that they are all bad and all thugs, would be a huge stereotype and a bit racist.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:58 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Yeah, I understand the need for desegregation, but kids do need more stability that constantly redrawing school plans allows. My daughter has a friend who in the last 8 years has gone to 5 different schools. And the one she's in now is closing next year. Crazy! (Note: this is not in Louisville, but in a rust belt city in n.e.)
Where?

Old 08-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
This is the main reason why urban county school districts have low population growth.

I've know people in Lexington who moved every couple of years to keep their kids in the same school - that is a ridiculous system!

Vouchers are the answer for the middle and lower class, the rich can afford expensive private schools already.
Or charter schools......

Old 08-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I wish they would go back to neighborhood schools and I don't know about other neighborhoods, but mine is no longer lily white and hasn't been in a long time.We are just about equal black and white with some hispanic mixed in nowdays.
I as going to ask, how integrated are housing patterns in Jefferson County? If someone could should the balance in the housing patterns, then maybe they would go back to neighborhood schools.

In states like Wisconsin or Minnesota, which are good academically, they have open enrollment. Say, if a kid from Minneapolis's North Side wants to go to high school at Richfield High, a suburb south of Minneapolis, he or she can as long as there is room, they can get to the school and the money allocated to that student goes with him or her and in turn, the school they attend. It also was set up to bring about competition and to make struggling schools step their game up. Why can't Jefferson County do something like this? If you look at the demographics of school in the Twin Cities area, you will notice that the schools are still "diverse" and have high academic standards for the most part.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
So you are suggesting, all problem teachers have are because of black and hispanic kids, because they have to sepnd their time more on discipliing them. But you aren't racist right... I bet you don't even have any non white friends. You will be around blacks and hispanics, but you won't deal with them. That is not diversity my friend. And your suggestion that about blacks in classrooms that they are all bad and all thugs, would be a huge stereotype and a bit racist.
Yes, I am suggesting that the situation is exactly that, but rather than being racist, I think you should see me as one who knows that unless this behavior stops, racial tensions will never have a chance to heal. It is time to stop ***** footing around with the facts and the truths. It is time for the end of murder, 75% illegitimate birthrate, a near majority of young black men with a prison record, and a 50% high school drop out rate. Call me racist, but look at the facts, the black men and women who break out of the ghetto (however they do it), achieve either vocational or collegiate education, break the stereotypical ceilings and are positive contributors to society.

I wish I could share my genuine desire to see the fate of people improve. You can decide I am a racist, or you can decide that just maybe, just maybe I am not by any means.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yes, I am suggesting that the situation is exactly that, but rather than being racist, I think you should see me as one who knows that unless this behavior stops, racial tensions will never have a chance to heal. It is time to stop ***** footing around with the facts and the truths. It is time for the end of murder, 75% illegitimate birthrate, a near majority of young black men with a prison record, and a 50% high school drop out rate. Call me racist, but look at the facts, the black men and women who break out of the ghetto (however they do it), achieve either vocational or collegiate education, break the stereotypical ceilings and are positive contributors to society.

I wish I could share my genuine desire to see the fate of people improve. You can decide I am a racist, or you can decide that just maybe, just maybe I am not by any means.
Actually, some of those stats are false. Only 6% of Black males are in jail and most do not have a prison record.

The single parent rate has gone down and that doesn't mean that the child stays ina single parent home either. Considering the feelings towards marriage and how people cohabitate more now that before, that can skew those numbers. Also, considering that 40% of babies were born to single mothers recently, I think that is a national issue, not just a Black one, since not all of those can be from Black women.

When looking at crime, while the murder rate is higher and it's about the same amount of Black and White victims in a given year historically, which in turn, the rate for Blacks is going to be higher because there are 5-6 times more whites in the US. What people seem to "sleep" on is the fact that alcohol related and reckless vehicle fatalities actually kill 1 and a half times more people in a given year. So, where is the outrage and how one looks at crime is relative, as all communities have their crime to deal with. I believe the rate for Whites for such incidents are slightly higher than those of Whites too. So, let's put the crime race card into perspective too.

As for the 50% drop out rate, that is for some urban school districts and actually the percentage of blacks graduating from high school is in the 80's.

Here's some stuff you might like to look at:
YouTube - Are there More Black Men in Jail or In College ?

Black Demographics Education (has more info. too)

Old 08-08-2009, 03:51 PM

I am from Michigan, and just moved to the area. In the state of Michigan there is school of choice. I could take my child, and the amount of money the government gives for my child, and go to another school district, or I could put it towards a charter school etc. There is absolute free choice. Each school district has a quota on how many students it accepts from outside its district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area