Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 08:43 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,151,910 times

Advertisements

All right, my wife brings up her concern regarding the city-data's statistics regarding the sex offenders list. Below you will see the comparisons. I am curious if the Louisville area records differently than does the Lexingington area. Does anyone know where city-data gets it's data on this subject, or is this just wrong? This basically is saying that Louisville, or even a small enclave like Crestwood having a ratio higher than Los Angeles!! Not possible. That did shock me I have to admit. Now she worries about taking a day off without me and going too let's say, Cherokee park? I just can't believe she would have something to worry about, but looking at these stats showing something like 1 in 300 avg does seem extremely high? What gives? Look below at Lexington's stats, it say's 0! I just can't believe a city the size of Lexington would not have any sex offenders listed compared to 1 in 282 in Crestwood? Something just doesn't sound right. Is it maybe that a larger city like LA just doesn't stay on top of it's sex offenders, or is it maybe that the Louisville area is just more diligent about registering them? This may also apply to the other alarming murder and crime statistics too. Hope someone knows the truth.

As shown on city-data.......

According to our research there were 792 registered sex offenders living in Louisville, Kentucky in early 2007. The ratio of number of residents in Louisville to the number of sex offenders is 324 to 1.

According to our research there were 8 registered sex offenders living in Crestwood, Kentucky in early 2007. The ratio of number of residents in Crestwood to the number of sex offenders is 282 to 1.

According to our research there were NO registered sex offenders living in this city in early 2007. Lexington, Kentucky.

According to our research there were 3792 registered sex offenders living in Los Angeles, California in early 2007. The ratio of number of residents in Los Angeles to the number of sex offenders is 1015 to 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 PM

688 posts, read 3,028,763 times
Although I don't know any specific data about sex offenders, I have learned that city-data's data is not always the most reliable. Lexington does in fact obviously have registered sex offenders, so I have no idea where they came up with that.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 PM

7,064 posts, read 16,643,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
All right, my wife brings up her concern regarding the city-data's statistics regarding the sex offenders list. Below you will see the comparisons. I am curious if the Louisville area records differently than does the Lexingington area. Does anyone know where city-data gets it's data on this subject, or is this just wrong? This basically is saying that Louisville, or even a small enclave like Crestwood having a ratio higher than Los Angeles!! Not possible. That did shock me I have to admit. Now she worries about taking a day off without me and going too let's say, Cherokee park? I just can't believe she would have something to worry about, but looking at these stats showing something like 1 in 300 avg does seem extremely high? What gives? Look below at Lexington's stats, it say's 0! I just can't believe a city the size of Lexington would not have any sex offenders listed compared to 1 in 282 in Crestwood? Something just doesn't sound right. Is it maybe that a larger city like LA just doesn't stay on top of it's sex offenders, or is it maybe that the Louisville area is just more diligent about registering them? This may also apply to the other alarming murder and crime statistics too. Hope someone knows the truth.

As shown on city-data.......

According to our research there were 792 registered sex offenders living in Louisville, Kentucky in early 2007. The ratio of number of residents in Louisville to the number of sex offenders is 324 to 1.

According to our research there were 8 registered sex offenders living in Crestwood, Kentucky in early 2007. The ratio of number of residents in Crestwood to the number of sex offenders is 282 to 1.

According to our research there were NO registered sex offenders living in this city in early 2007. Lexington, Kentucky.

According to our research there were 3792 registered sex offenders living in Los Angeles, California in early 2007. The ratio of number of residents in Los Angeles to the number of sex offenders is 1015 to 1.
Do NOT trust any data from city-data. You need to look at the FBI or local government websites for crime stats. KY has a statewide sex offender registry, and with the whole state having 4 million people, it is easier to keep up on the stats than it is in a large metro like LA. Of course Louisville is infinitely safer than LA! Cherokee Park has tons of kids and is very safe!

Kentucky Sex Offender Registry

As an aisde, anytime you need information, simply type it into Google

The search "Kentucky sex offender registry" brought that site up instantly.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Thank you, I figured something was fishy! Good to hear.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:06 AM

Question Hmmm, still doesn't look good....[KY stats back up what city-data say's, what gives?]

Well I looked at those KY crime statistics regarding registered sex offenders, still doesn't look good. Here is what that says....

KY Registry Search Results :
Search Criteria for County: OLDHAM - 297 matches

According to wikpedia.org : Oldham County is a county located in the U.S. state of Kentucky. As of 2005, the population was 55,285.

Example comparison: Ventura County, CA: As of the 2000 census, the county had a population of 753,197. A more current California Department of Finance estimate places the population at 813,052.

Megan's law Sexual Offender Registery State of CA for Ventura County: 722 offenders

O.K. Something still doesn't jive. Yes, Ventura County does have more sexual offenders, but if you do the math, Oldham looks terrible in comparison percentage wise.

This equates to 1 in 1,126 residents in my current Ventura County are Registered Sexual Offenders. Compared to 1 in 186 residents of Oldham County!!!

There just has to be something different in the way this information is being gathered by both states, but I just can't figure it out. It does worry us, even though I know that Oldham County is a very safe place. These stats show a hidden underbelly that is scary.

If anyone knows the real scoop let us know! Will put my wife's mind at ease! Thank you!

Old 02-03-2008, 01:07 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,263,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Well I looked at those KY crime statistics regarding registered sex offenders, still doesn't look good. Here is what that says....

KY Registry Search Results :
Search Criteria for County: OLDHAM - 297 matches

According to wikpedia.org : Oldham County is a county located in the U.S. state of Kentucky. As of 2005, the population was 55,285.

Example comparison: Ventura County, CA: As of the 2000 census, the county had a population of 753,197. A more current California Department of Finance estimate places the population at 813,052.

Megan's law Sexual Offender Registery State of CA for Ventura County: 722 offenders

O.K. Something still doesn't jive. Yes, Ventura County does have more sexual offenders, but if you do the math, Oldham looks terrible in comparison percentage wise.

This equates to 1 in 1,126 residents in my current Ventura County are Registered Sexual Offenders. Compared to 1 in 186 residents of Oldham County!!!

There just has to be something different in the way this information is being gathered by both states, but I just can't figure it out. It does worry us, even though I know that Oldham County is a very safe place. These stats show a hidden underbelly that is scary.

If anyone knows the real scoop let us know! Will put my wife's mind at ease! Thank you!
There are four prisons that use Oldham County addresses. Most of the people on your list are incarcerated, but with an Oldham County address.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 PM

Ah Hah, now were talking. Now that completely makes sense! That is why the statistics are so skewed. Puts my wife's mind at ease. Knew something was amiss. Nice to know they are behind bars! I have no problem with that. My whole family is law enforcement [other than me], so I know the deal. Great to know. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,904 times
We are also curious about the sex offender statistics in KY. We are considering relocating and we also have school age children so it is a concern for us. All of the towns that we checked in the central area seemed to have a high percentage of sex offenders. Most of the towns in MA around where we live are 8,000 - 10,000:1. The towns we checked in KY with similar populations were anywhere from 100:1 to 500:1. Tomocox explained the prison, but what about the other towns?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,263,537 times
This is a totally unscientific response, but it is possible that Kentucky doesn't tolerate sex offensiveness and therefore have a more aggressive prosecution.

I know of one young man considered a sex offender because he was convicted of statuatory rape. He was a 17 yr old HS senior with a 15 yr old sophomore, but under KY law, he qualifies as a sex offender.

I don't know if this answers your question, but I hope it provides some relief. There is no place in our world today that I would consider perfectly safe. We must not tolerate any, but of all the places in the world to raise a child safely, I like the odds of most of Kentucky.

Last edited by tomocox; 03-09-2008 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area