Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times

Advertisements

When people go to work, where do they head - downtown, J'town, Shelby County, or elsewhere? Are the office complexes and manufacturing enterprises spread all throughout Jefferson and its surrounding counties or do most folks work downtown? Someone wrote in another post, "... when I worked downtown ...," and it got me to wondering where are the business districts?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 06:28 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
While others will likely have more statistically based numbers. I would guess that 1/2 of all executive offices are downtown. 15-20% along the Hurstbourne corridor between KY 22 (Brownsboro Rd) and 6 mile Lane, and the balance scattered around the Watterson X-way in a very general manner.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:13 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
While others will likely have more statistically based numbers. I would guess that 1/2 of all executive offices are downtown. 15-20% along the Hurstbourne corridor between KY 22 (Brownsboro Rd) and 6 mile Lane, and the balance scattered around the Watterson X-way in a very general manner.
That is a fairly good estimate for white collar jobs at least....i will post exact numbers at a later date. Now of course major blue collar and service job areas are located all over, and nearly 70% of the metro areas jobs remain in Jefferson County, the core county of the metro of course.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Louisville ranks 11th among the 50 largest metro areas in the nation for the percent of jobs located in Downtown. The only cities ranking higher are either very large or have state capitols in their downtown

http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf

Old 02-15-2008, 11:48 AM

Thanks to everyone!

I'm trying to get a feel for the flow of traffic. Where it is that everyone is headed to on Monday-Friday for work, maybe Saturday too. That way, a person isn't scheduling taking their car to Jiffy Lube during rush hour traffic in the direction everyone is going. Just trying to get a feel.

Stx: Also, trying to see what is causing the subdivision (Majestic Oaks, I think) in Shelby County to be so expensive, as in maybe there are LOTS of offices in that area. So, whenever you have time to post your figures, I'll take a look at those.

Tom: I'm going to mark the streets you called out on a map.

Census: Thanks for the link.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Thanks to everyone!

I'm trying to get a feel for the flow of traffic. Where it is that everyone is headed to on Monday-Friday for work, maybe Saturday too. That way, a person isn't scheduling taking their car to Jiffy Lube during rush hour traffic in the direction everyone is going. Just trying to get a feel.

Stx: Also, trying to see what is causing the subdivision (Majestic Oaks, I think) in Shelby County to be so expensive, as in maybe there are LOTS of offices in that area. So, whenever you have time to post your figures, I'll take a look at those.

The first rule of thumb of the Louisville MSA....virtually ALL the white collar jobs in the metro area in the core county which is Jefferson County/Louisville, which also contains 60% of the metro area's population, whereas the core county of most southern metros contain well less than half if not a third of the metro population. Louisville is also a very centralized city without tons of differengt business districts....it is quite dense and traffic flows into the city in the morning with the peak at 730 and out of the city at 5 with a peak at between 430-530. I-64 can get hairy but is almost always smooth sailing outside of I-265, where the population density is less but sprawl continues into Shelby County. Louisville's rush hour is not bad...it is literally never more than an hour, whereas rush "hour" in larger cities lasts 3-4 hours.

Shelby County has very few professional office complexes, and no multi story buildings. That said, this county is among the fastest growing in the nation in terms of percentage growth due to the very small population it had 10 years ago. Three are three main office markets: Downtown, St Matthews, and Hurstbourne. There are also some heavy concentrations in the NE part of the county on newly developing corridors. In suburban Oldham County, the office condo market is growing fast, but there are still really no super large office parks or office towers like you see in Jefferson County.

Perhaps censusdata has more info on this? He has done research with some good stats. Here is an article from last week talking about the strength of the downtown office market....

Choice office space filling up downtown

Old 02-15-2008, 04:41 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
There is also a large area of blue collar jobs from South of the airport, including Ford & UPS, all the way up the to the Portland neighborhood.

There are also a lot of warehouses in the Fairdale area extending into Bullitt County.

As for surrounding counties, Bullitt has a few factories, Shelby has a large one right off I-64 (I have family that commutes from Owen County to work there). I'm not aware of many factories in Oldham, and Spencer County has very few jobs at all.

This is very different from the Lexington area, where many surrounding and outlying counties have very large employers (like Toyota, the State Capitol, EKU, etc)

Maps on county to county commuting patterns are available here
Kentucky State Data Center

Old 02-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Many, many, many, many thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 03:06 AM

70 posts, read 188,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Thanks to everyone!

I can't speak to morning traffic but a good rule of thumb in the evening is stay away from Spaghetti Junction (downtown where I-64, I-65, and I-71 meet), I-65 south from downtown to I-264, I-264 East from I-65, I-64 East from I-264 and I-64 West from Hustrbourne Parkway, as well as Hurstbourne Parkway itself at around 5-7 pm, 4 pm on Fridays.

And resist the urge to book a flight from 5-7 pm unless extraordinary circumstances intervene.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmaraschino View Post
I can't speak to morning traffic but a good rule of thumb in the evening is stay away from Spaghetti Junction (downtown where I-64, I-65, and I-71 meet), I-65 south from downtown to I-264, I-264 East from I-65, I-64 East from I-264 and I-64 West from Hustrbourne Parkway, as well as Hurstbourne Parkway itself at around 5-7 pm, 4 pm on Fridays.

And resist the urge to book a flight from 5-7 pm unless extraordinary circumstances intervene.
Good to know! Thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area