Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2016, 10:35 PM
 
7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Reputation: 3559

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
One thing I like about Louisville is that it is more condensed when you are talking about center city and suburbs as opposed to a DC area, Columbus, or my native Hampton Roads VA which are super spread out. Louisville offers a lot of big city amenities without a lot of the big city drawbacks and has a favorable COL provided you can find decent employment there.

I went to New Orleans over the summer and as far as LIVING there, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. The economy is even more limited than Louisville's and the crime is awful.
GREAT post...and we know well that you have things that you love and hate about Louisville. But it is this compact nature that makes Louisville such a gem, and its potential so great. Why? because these little "holes" in the urban vitality are filling in. Check out the rehabs and gentrification, block by block, in Paristown Pointe, Phoenix Hill, Irish Hill, on into Smoketown, and Shelby Park. Once these areas fill back in with life (because they already have the 19th century density and shotgun/row house bones, watch out for Louisville. This is when people will say man, here is the next Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 AM
 
21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Reputation: 36904
My only objection is that it's landlocked (the ocean is very far away), and the summer heat and humidity are -- to me -- almost unbearable. Also not enough snow in the winter. But I think it has more pluses than minuses. However, good luck with that "gentrficiation" unless you get the crime rate in check; record number of homicides last year and already this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 12:34 PM
 
8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Reputation: 6225
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
My only objection is that it's landlocked (the ocean is very far away), and the summer heat and humidity are -- to me -- almost unbearable. Also not enough snow in the winter. But I think it has more pluses than minuses. However, good luck with that "gentrficiation" unless you get the crime rate in check; record number of homicides last year and already this year.
Crime rates in many cities are increasing right now. This is not a Louisville problem. And basically all the murders happen in the West End or South End. The East End is like an entirely separate world.

I moved here from LA for school. I've also lived in San Francisco; Bologna, Italy; and Madrid, Spain. So I've live a lot of places to compare.

Quick answer: it doesn't compare to LA or NYC for someone who wants real big city living. But for medium sized cities and compared to neighbors and its peers, it offers a lot! Great food scene, quite a few unique neighborhoods not too far apart. Definitely one of the more urban/compact cities in the South. But the shopping, public transit, walkability, diversity, etc. of places like NYC or LA is lacking. It's also unfair to compare a city/metro of around 1 million to ones with several millions. But yes, compared to its peers, Louisville seems to have a lot more to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 01:10 PM
 
115 posts, read 146,454 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Crime rates in many cities are increasing right now. This is not a Louisville problem. And basically all the murders happen in the West End or South End. The East End is like an entirely separate world.

I moved here from LA for school. I've also lived in San Francisco; Bologna, Italy; and Madrid, Spain. So I've live a lot of places to compare.

Quick answer: it doesn't compare to LA or NYC for someone who wants real big city living. But for medium sized cities and compared to neighbors and its peers, it offers a lot! Great food scene, quite a few unique neighborhoods not too far apart. Definitely one of the more urban/compact cities in the South. But the shopping, public transit, walkability, diversity, etc. of places like NYC or LA is lacking. It's also unfair to compare a city/metro of around 1 million to ones with several millions. But yes, compared to its peers, Louisville seems to have a lot more to offer.
I don't really think the murders are something to worry about because like you say they do largely occur in the West and South End and are virtually never just random killings, but my parents live in J-Town, not the poshest area on the East side, but still fairly well off compared to a lot of the city, and there were two murders within a mile of where they lived. They weren't connected to drugs or anything like that and in both cases the victims knew the attacker, a husband killing an ex wife and a young man who had lived with a man who it was rumoured to have done some bad things to him (I don't know the details and I know the man who was killed was otherwise considered an upstanding citizen so make of that what you will). I'm fairly certain J-Town doesn't even usually average one murder a year so it was odd that this year it added two to the cities count while the rest of the city was also suffering from more murders, and there was even one not much further away in Fern Creek. But one year of increasing crime doesn't make a crime wave, and as many people have pointed out crime today is far lower than it has been, even with the increase this year. It just seems like there is some sort of Zeitgeist. It will be interesting to see what the murder rate is this year.


Edit: Actually just found the crime data for J-Town and between 2004 and 2013 there was only one murder, in 2007. https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Kentucky.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 01:22 PM
 
8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Reputation: 6225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
I don't really think the murders are something to worry about because like you say they do largely occur in the West and South End and are virtually never just random killings, but my parents live in J-Town, not the poshest area on the East side, but still fairly well off compared to a lot of the city, and there were two murders within a mile of where they lived. They weren't connected to drugs or anything like that and in both cases the victims knew the attacker, a husband killing an ex wife and a young man who had lived with a man who it was rumoured to have done some bad things to him (I don't know the details and I know the man who was killed was otherwise considered an upstanding citizen so make of that what you will). I'm fairly certain J-Town doesn't even usually average one murder a year so it was odd that this year it added two to the cities count while the rest of the city was also suffering from more murders, and there was even one not much further away in Fern Creek. But one year of increasing crime doesn't make a crime wave, and as many people have pointed out crime today is far lower than it has been, even with the increase this year. It just seems like there is some sort of Zeitgeist. It will be interesting to see what the murder rate is this year.


Edit: Actually just found the crime data for J-Town and between 2004 and 2013 there was only one murder, in 2007. https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Kentucky.html
Increasing crime in LA isn't keeping LA from gentrifying lol. But yeah because of the spike in heroin abuse in this part of the country, nearly every murder is gang/drug related or the person knew their murderer. I don't remember reading about any random murders. Seems like they almost all occurred in the West End or South End, and I hate to jump to conclusions based on location, but I assume it was over drugs when I hear it was out there. Louisville is not some NYC of the late 20th Century where random people were just murdered and robbed in the middle of the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 02:49 PM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 4,253,346 times
Reputation: 8520
Where exactly are the west end and south end? They're obviously west and south from downtown, but how far west and south, and how big are they? Are they small areas that are easy to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 03:20 PM
 
8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Reputation: 6225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Where exactly are the west end and south end? They're obviously west and south from downtown, but how far west and south, and how big are they? Are they small areas that are easy to avoid?
Basically, if you don't have to, don't go into any streets in the double digits west of downtown. Old Louisville can be dicey, but there are PLENTY of UofL students living there that it's not so bad. A general rule is that everything west of the 65 is not great. But the area around Iroquois Park is not bad at all. It's not as nice as the East End, but it's more like the East End than the West End neighborhoods like Russell. Shively, Pleasure Ridge Park, and Valley Station are often in the news for crime. The area near UofL, Churchill, and the airport is hit or miss almost block by block. I lived off Southern Pkwy south of the 264. It was more upper-lower class/lower-middle class than with some middle/upper middle class mixed in. But Southern Pkwy north of the 264 isn't as nice and going a few blocks too far east or west was not suggested.

Basically everything east of the 65 is nice though. Some areas immediately west of the 65 can be a little poor, but not exactly dangerous. And Bardstown Rd south of the 264 has some sketchy motels and apartment complexes. Besides that, nearly everything east of the 65 is nice. Shelby Park and Phoenix Hill used to be bad with projects and stuff like that, but the area is quickly changing .

East of the 65 are the neighborhoods people always mention. The Highlands. St. Matthews. Jeffersontown. Hurstbourne. NuLu. Crescent Hill. Clifton. Glenview. Propsect. Anchorage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 03:38 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
Reputation: 12187
The nicest parts of urban Louisville are isolated from the high crime areas. I've lived here on and off since 2002 and there has never been much crime in The Highlands, Crescent Hill, or anywhere in the East End. Downtown is not immune from crime problems because the poorest people live within walking distance. There almost no shopping in the worst areas, downtown is the only close place they can shop. I don't see all of Louisville gentrifying anyway because home prices are still affordable (so the poor aren't forced out in mass) and the worst areas have major environmental problems. The West End has little potential because of all the factory air pollution and it's in a flood plane. Just driving through on I-264 in the summer makes my throat burn. One thing I like about New Albany is getting the cleanest air in the urban core. Our winds usually come from rural Harrison Co rather than all the factories off the Ohio River from the West End to Valley Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 03:43 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
Reputation: 12187
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Where exactly are the west end and south end? They're obviously west and south from downtown, but how far west and south, and how big are they? Are they small areas that are easy to avoid?
West End - west of 9th St / 7th St Rd, north of Shively, to the river. Most years 75% of homicides occur here.


South End - everything from U of L to Shively southward west of I-65. Blue collar but not all bad. Worst areas are along and north of I-264.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 05:09 PM
 
115 posts, read 146,454 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The nicest parts of urban Louisville are isolated from the high crime areas. I've lived here on and off since 2002 and there has never been much crime in The Highlands, Crescent Hill, or anywhere in the East End. Downtown is not immune from crime problems because the poorest people live within walking distance. There almost no shopping in the worst areas, downtown is the only close place they can shop. I don't see all of Louisville gentrifying anyway because home prices are still affordable (so the poor aren't forced out in mass) and the worst areas have major environmental problems. The West End has little potential because of all the factory air pollution and it's in a flood plane. Just driving through on I-264 in the summer makes my throat burn. One thing I like about New Albany is getting the cleanest air in the urban core. Our winds usually come from rural Harrison Co rather than all the factories off the Ohio River from the West End to Valley Station.
it's not gentrification but tearing down Sheppard Square and Clarksdale and replacing them with the mix of market rate and subsidized housing certainly pushed a lot of people out and probably let Phoenix Hill and Nulu develop as they have and Shelby Park and probably one day Smoketown start to gentrify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top