Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 01:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Louisville never seemed all that much smaller than Indianapolis, to me. About the only thing Indianapolis has that Louisville lacks is 2 of the big 4 professional sports. NBA and NFL. Louisville could very well support a NBA team. Kentucky Colonels and Indiana Pacers were both members of the ABA. They were each other's biggest rivals and they both led the league in attendance. Louisville seems to be growing so it's only a matter of time they get at least one of the 4 major league professional teams.
Completely agree with all that is said.

The only real difference between Louisville and Indy is Louisville has smaller suburbs and edge counties. City to city, they are very similar sized and feel. Indy has the nicer downtown, Louisville the nicer neighborhoods. Each are improving their weaknesses.

UofL's basketball and football teams serve the exact same function as the Pacers and Colts in Indy. Tickets are similar priced (especially with UofL's required basketball "donation"), and even the basketball arenas have a similar corporate entertaining feel. Just different sports products.

Why do people think Indy is bigger? The main reason is Hamilton Co. There is nothing in metro Louisville even close to this behemoth of an edge suburban county. This is both good and bad. I think 50 years down the road, Louisville will be the more compact, livable city as it does not have development and business centers 20 miles form downtown like Indy does. Hamilton County is the main reason Indy can support 2 pro sports teams, and it is also the reason many would group Indy a half or full tier above Louisville.

In fact, almost every suburban county in Indy is larger than its counterpart in Louisville. Towns like Plainfield, Avon, Greenwood...they really don't exist in metro Louisville. For me, that is a good thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 10:28 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
So tell me sir, where is it in the USA that is closer in size, architecture, and even culture to New Orleans than Louisville?
Old post I know, but Memphis, Mobile, Savannah, and Charleston are all contenders to some extent or another.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Old post I know, but Memphis, Mobile, Savannah, and Charleston are all contenders to some extent or another.
All but Memphis lose on size. Which makes a big difference.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Exactly.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
I've seen some references to crime on this thread. How bad is crime in the Louisville Highlands area? Are some parts of the Highlands considered safer than others?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yeah but that was one of three criteria he mentioned. New Orleans has no clone in the U.S. so there's no one city that matches it in size, architecture, and culture. But all the cities I mentioned compare on two out of the three characteristics.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
I've seen some references to crime on this thread. How bad is crime in the Louisville Highlands area? Are some parts of the Highlands considered safer than others?
Violent crime is rare, overall crime is pretty low for an urban neighborhood, mostly a few car break ins and a robbery now and then. There isn't much difference in crime throughout the Highlands, probably along East Broadway is the worst though.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Violent crime is rare, overall crime is pretty low for an urban neighborhood, mostly a few car break ins and a robbery now and then. There isn't much difference in crime throughout the Highlands, probably along East Broadway is the worst though.
Thanks. I saw some articles about occasional burglaries in the Highlands/Triangle area, and also some problems associated with a local methadone clinic, but it's hard to get a feel from such articles whether that translates into crime/quality of life issues for local residents.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
Thanks. I saw some articles about occasional burglaries in the Highlands/Triangle area, and also some problems associated with a local methadone clinic, but it's hard to get a feel from such articles whether that translates into crime/quality of life issues for local residents.
The highlands is 100% safe. It really is. Anywhere you are reading about crime...it's simply not an issue. crime can and does happen anywhere in America. The Highlands is as safe as any safe neighborhood in America.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah but that was one of three criteria he mentioned. New Orleans has no clone in the U.S. so there's no one city that matches it in size, architecture, and culture. But all the cities I mentioned compare on two out of the three characteristics.
Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The highlands is 100% safe. It really is. Anywhere you are reading about crime...it's simply not an issue. crime can and does happen anywhere in America. The Highlands is as safe as any safe neighborhood in America.
Is Old Louisville getting any better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area