Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 AM

59 posts, read 139,856 times

Advertisements

good ridance. next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 AM

10 posts, read 13,002 times
And Southerners wonder why the stereotype persists still. Personally, I am looking for a job elsewhere so I can leave Louisville. If people not from Louisville aren't welcome, and they're not, I recommend they leave as well. Many of my friends, whom are from other states, already left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonvillenative View Post
good ridance. next

Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 AM

165 posts, read 307,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateWolf View Post
And Southerners wonder why the stereotype persists still. Personally, I am looking for a job elsewhere so I can leave Louisville. If people not from Louisville aren't welcome, and they're not, I recommend they leave as well. Many of my friends, whom are from other states, already left.

And most of my friends are from elsewhere, too, as I am. We all love it here and haven't felt unwelcome.

What's your point?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Give me a break. You are generalizing a metro area of 1.3 million that is emerging with one of the higher growth rates in the Midwest and has thousands of people moving there from all over the nation and world. To label Louisville as "southerners" who deserve stereotypes and serves to make you look bad. Seriously, get out and explore the city and figure stuff out.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:11 PM

27 posts, read 42,455 times
To get a revived thread back on track-

A couple interesting things ive noticed so far in my first couple of months here: I got more dirty looks with an Indiana license plate in Virginia than I do with a Virginia plate in Kentucky.

People assume your area code is 502. When telling somebody your out of area phone number, start by saying "area code ___"

Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,629,613 times
Quote:

Wow
If you cant get along with people here, it might not be a "them" problem.

Just a thought . . .

Old 07-16-2012, 04:40 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,521,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear29 View Post
To get a revived thread back on track-

A couple interesting things ive noticed so far in my first couple of months here: I got more dirty looks with an Indiana license plate in Virginia than I do with a Virginia plate in Kentucky.

People assume your area code is 502. When telling somebody your out of area phone number, start by saying "area code ___"
You may be able to thank BRAC for that. The BRACcies like myself who moved there in the past few years brought a lot of money into Kentucky and spurred a lot of projects and jobs. I'd bet they would be happy to welcome Virginians.

The area code thing is a true lesson. It got on my nerves.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 PM

10 posts, read 13,002 times
I considered that but, truthfully, Im not a UK or U of L fan, not big on basketball, etc and locals definitely made it clear that the interests and values I grew up with in MI aren't acceptable. Sorry but I'm not going to erase my past and upbringing for the comfort of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Wow
If you cant get along with people here, it might not be a "them" problem.

Just a thought . . .

Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 AM

165 posts, read 307,805 times
Unless you're in a major metropolitan area with several area codes, everybody, everywhere assumes you have the same one as them. It's not a Kentucky thing. I've lived in four other states and they all did it.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 PM

27 posts, read 42,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post
Unless you're in a major metropolitan area with several area codes, everybody, everywhere assumes you have the same one as them. It's not a Kentucky thing. I've lived in four other states and they all did it.
That's fair.

I grew up in San Diego (3 local area codes; lots of military and others with out of area numbers), went to Purdue (huge out of state/International population), then moved to the DC area (one of the most diverse/transient populations in the country), so my experiences are skewed from the norm I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area