U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 PM

11,093 posts, read 22,970,916 times

Advertisements

I've heard a lot of long time natives talk about how bad a place Louisville was to live in back then... that there was NO young professionals staying or coming here, air pollution was terrible, crime was rampant, and downtown was vacated after 6 pm except for homeless people. -- Is it all true?

Also, when did The Highlands, Old Louisville, and Frankfort Ave all start to revive and become what they are today?

There is an older that has lived in my apartment house since 1990 who says when he moved here St James Court (now one of the city's most prestigious addresses) was full of crack houses and prostitutes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,988,701 times
The waterfront of Louisville back in the early 1970's looked like a dump with old- looking warehouses and now today it has been cleared out and new office buildings and a new stadium has been constructed. The Galt House and Kingfish restaurant were the happening places back then and a few bars were within that area. If memory serves me correctly there began a renaissance in the mid 70's of new buildings being constructed and areas being cleaned up. The west end of downtown was the bad area of Louisville an area you wanted to avoid after a certain time of night. Believe me on that one,because I got lost with a girl that I had taken to the Masonic Lodge upon leaving from there I went the wrong way and she was scared and so was I of that area.

The pollution is bad in Louisville at times because it sits in the Ohio valley and Louisville being an industrial city if the wind isn't blowing the smog settles in from industrial smoke and traffic emissions and gets heavier end heavier. I remember living on Brownsboro Rd.near Frankfort Ave. and smelling this unusual odor from a factory that made pork products

I always felt like Louisville had the most beautiful and well kept up neighborhoods compared to any city that I have ever lived in. The downtown area has definitely made vast improvements since the 70's and will still keep going forward in to the future. I believe one big step was the consolidation of the city which cut down on the duplicity of taxes and redefined the area.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 PM

Can anyone comment on the crime back then or how Bardstown Rd was?

Based on what I've heard Old Louisville was a very dangerous neighborhood and Bardstown Rd was a very blue collar area

For the record, I had never really seen much of Louisville before 1999 and didn't move here until 2002

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,870,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
The waterfront of Louisville back in the early 1970's looked like a dump with old- looking warehouses and now today it has been cleared out and new office buildings and a new stadium has been constructed. The Galt House and Kingfish restaurant were the happening places back then and a few bars were within that area. If memory serves me correctly there began a renaissance in the mid 70's of new buildings being constructed and areas being cleaned up. The west end of downtown was the bad area of Louisville an area you wanted to avoid after a certain time of night. Believe me on that one,because I got lost with a girl that I had taken to the Masonic Lodge upon leaving from there I went the wrong way and she was scared and so was I of that area.

The pollution is bad in Louisville at times because it sits in the Ohio valley and Louisville being an industrial city if the wind isn't blowing the smog settles in from industrial smoke and traffic emissions and gets heavier end heavier. I remember living on Brownsboro Rd.near Frankfort Ave. and smelling this unusual odor from a factory that made pork products

I always felt like Louisville had the most beautiful and well kept up neighborhoods compared to any city that I have ever lived in. The downtown area has definitely made vast improvements since the 70's and will still keep going forward in to the future. I believe one big step was the consolidation of the city which cut down on the duplicity of taxes and redefined the area.
Was the factory the Mellwood plant? I also remember the Purina plant that stunk to high heaven also. We also had quite a few distillaries in the Shively area but I don't remember them stinking.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:43 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,529,842 times
I worked downtown in the 70's and while it was not a dump, it was light-years behind what is going on now. Almost no one lived downtown. I had a partner who bought a condo and we all thought he was nuts. Fourth Street was basically just a row of wig shops. The population was declining in the early 70's, although it started to increase a little by the mid and late 70's.

It just had a dingy look, imo. Here are some photos I'm fairly sure are from the 70's or close by.

http://www.filsonhistorical.org/news_grc%20bridge2.jpg (broken link)

http://nationaljewelerroyalfinev10l.logicalsolutions.net/Data/FileManager/1970.gif (broken link)

Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM

5,387 posts, read 11,417,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Can anyone comment on the crime back then or how Bardstown Rd was?

Based on what I've heard Old Louisville was a very dangerous neighborhood and Bardstown Rd was a very blue collar area

For the record, I had never really seen much of Louisville before 1999 and didn't move here until 2002
Census...from where did you move? You really seem to have a positive experience with Lville and I hope to find the same when I visit in May for relocation scouting.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Census...from where did you move? You really seem to have a positive experience with Lville and I hope to find the same when I visit in May for relocation scouting.
I moved here from Lexington KY after a graduated high school. I moved to Lexington from rural KY (Casey Co) when I was 11 and never really felt like I fit in there.

I just really like the vibe in Louisville - it's blue collar, laid back, and yet cultured and progressive all at the same time.

It's also the perfect size IMO- big enough to have a great night life, music scene, and park system, but is still affordable, friendly, and safe.

In 10 minutes you can go from artsy, liberal neighborhoods (like you would find in San Francisco) to areas that feel just like a rural Kentucky town, and again to immigrant areas w/ lots of ethnic store and restaurants.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:07 AM

5,387 posts, read 11,417,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I moved here from Lexington KY after a graduated high school. I moved to Lexington from rural KY (Casey Co) when I was 11 and never really felt like I fit in there.

I just really like the vibe in Louisville - it's blue collar, laid back, and yet cultured and progressive all at the same time.

It's also the perfect size IMO- big enough to have a great night life, music scene, and park system, but is still affordable, friendly, and safe.

In 10 minutes you can go from artsy, liberal neighborhoods (like you would find in San Francisco) to areas that feel just like a rural Kentucky town, and again to immigrant areas w/ lots of ethnic store and restaurants.
Sounds like a good balance. I'm a midwestern gal whose misplaced on the west coast right now. It's hard to find an artsy, diverse place that isn't pretentious and uppity. The egos of the people here are unreal. People can really make or break a place. When I lived in N Texas, it was hot, windy, dry, sparce, good-paying jobs weren't plentiful, but the people and my neighbors were gems and there was a pretty neat little art community. That really made all the difference.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,070,508 times
I agree with Census Data that the best thing about the Louisville area I believe is the cool downtown culture, the parks, mixed with the very nearby rural country small town atmosphere. Very unique these days. Best of both worlds in my opinion. This is coming from someone who lived in Napa, CA [Wine Capital of the USA] and worked in and enjoyed San Francisco nearby. But that was at least a 45 minute commute, and I am now similarily about the same distance from LA. But both of those cities have overgrown there space [SF] or have no character [LA], and the outer suburbs have now been way over-priced and have lost a lot of that closer family atmosphere that you get in rural KY.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:58 PM

7 posts, read 22,979 times
I was downtown a few times in the early 70s, and all that I remember was the ruin and decay of the once-beautiful old Victorian townhouses located on Third Street. Many of them were split into apartments or duplexes, and a few were beginning to be remodeled into what I suspect has become a really nice neighborhood. Am I correct about this?

The downtown was very dirty and forlorn with the waterfront being dedicated to industry only. I remember going there to the WHAS television studio once as a teenager in the late 60s, and the streets were ugly and dirty.

Yes, much about Louisville has changed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area