U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM

204 posts, read 1,445,219 times

Advertisements

I've been skimming the boards for the past couple of weeks and am really interested in Louisville. I'm not cencerned about the taxes too much as I will be renting. I'm not too concerned with the radon issue circulating around the board or the types of salt they use when it snows. I just want a change from my current location. I want to know what you LOVE about Louisville. What is it about the city that outweighs anything that you consider a "negative" ? I'm looking forward to replies
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:26 PM

948 posts, read 4,240,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ray View Post
I've been skimming the boards for the past couple of weeks and am really interested in Louisville. I'm not cencerned about the taxes too much as I will be renting. I'm not too concerned with the radon issue circulating around the board or the types of salt they use when it snows. I just want a change from my current location. I want to know what you LOVE about Louisville. What is it about the city that outweighs anything that you consider a "negative" ? I'm looking forward to replies
Someone else asked a similar question in July 2007: //www.city-data.com/forum/louis...highlight=love, so I thought I would post the link. Hope this helps.

Last edited by virgo; 02-13-2008 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Content

Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,627,756 times
Terry... day in day out, my favorite Louisville asset is the friendly, caring, wonderful people who live here.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,382,979 times
Quote:
The neighborhoods, the people, the sense of community, and the strong community pride in being unique. Its not a cookie cutter city!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,566,353 times
The variety - friendly people - progressive leadership - the arts scene - the sports scene - great restaurants - the river front - central location - close access to beautiful rural areas.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 AM

11,307 posts, read 23,367,083 times
From another of my post...

I moved here from Lexington KY after a graduated high school. I moved to Lexington from rural KY (Casey Co) when I was 11 and never really felt like I fit in there.

I just really like the vibe in Louisville - it's blue collar, laid back, and yet cultured and progressive all at the same time.

It's also the perfect size IMO- big enough to have a great night life, music scene, and park system, but is still affordable, friendly, and safe.

In 10 minutes you can go from artsy, liberal neighborhoods (like you would find in San Francisco) to areas that feel just like a rural Kentucky town, and again to immigrant areas w/ lots of ethnic store and restaurants.

-- Louisville also has a large area of safe, historic neighborhoods directly adjacent to downtown. I don't know of many cities that have so many safe, affordable, and vibrant areas near downtown

Old 02-15-2008, 10:47 PM

16 posts, read 93,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
From another of my post...

I moved here from Lexington KY after a graduated high school. I moved to Lexington from rural KY (Casey Co) when I was 11 and never really felt like I fit in there.

I just really like the vibe in Louisville - it's blue collar, laid back, and yet cultured and progressive all at the same time.

It's also the perfect size IMO- big enough to have a great night life, music scene, and park system, but is still affordable, friendly, and safe.

In 10 minutes you can go from artsy, liberal neighborhoods (like you would find in San Francisco) to areas that feel just like a rural Kentucky town, and again to immigrant areas w/ lots of ethnic store and restaurants.

-- Louisville also has a large area of safe, historic neighborhoods directly adjacent to downtown. I don't know of many cities that have so many safe, affordable, and vibrant areas near downtown
having been in louisville 2x in my life i would say some of these similar things as census has added...every bit of what he said, minus the whole HS thing cos it doesn't apply ;-) is exactly why i want to move here. the whole EVERYTHING makes sense...minus the mold :-(

Last edited by mjbackus123; 02-15-2008 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 PM

3,772 posts, read 10,076,913 times
I'm with stx12499 on the neighborhoods,they are well kept up and you won't find the cookie-cutter neighborhoods that you do in other American cities. I love the trees when they are in bloom,there is nothing as beautiful as all of the colors of the leaves that are in abundance.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM

209 posts, read 690,576 times
Cities have souls. In the US it is perhaps New Orleans, even after Katrina, that has the biggest soul. San Francisco has soul. New York and Chicago have soul – I find Chicago’s bigger and more interesting, but that’s just me. Boston has soul. Houston, LA, Orlando… not so much.

Soul is a function of history and patina and imagination and conflict: A city with a big soul has tension: tension between upper and lower, between slow and fast, between drama and comedy. Cities with lesser souls either have balance – ah, we are in harmony, we have it right – or fragmentation. I moved back to Louisville from Rochester NY, a soul-thin city whose fragmentation into smug, separate suburban containers has made it less a city than a poorly-made collage.

I love Louisville because it is such a soulful place. It is a beautiful and odd blossom in thin soil. There is something about the hard-scrabble land of the rest of Kentucky that informs and enriches the culture of this hothouse town. When I was a kid (I’m old, dudes – 62), I was taken as part of my school’s activities to the Memorial Auditorium to see ‘Making Music Concerts’ by the Louisville Orchestra. The Louisville Fund then and for years insisted that Art mattered, not as recreation for the rich, but as enrichment for poor and rich. I went to the ballet; I went to see jazz (I saw the Modern Jazz Quartet when I was 14 at the Memorial Auditorium); I went to the Speed Art Museum. I lived in the South End, the son of a a secretary and a butcher from Irvine, Kentucky - the thin-soil home of soulful actor Harry Dean Stanton... but this city nourished me, despite it all.

That is tension. Tension is what a tightrope walker feels. One bad move could tilt you over the edge, but grace and skill keep you from falling. Balance doesn’t have the drama that tension has. Louisville’s grace and skill keep poor and rich, old and new, past and future, conservative and liberal, sophistication and gaucheness from tumbling one way or the other.

It’s a ragtag, self-deprecating, hard-won friendliness and humor that makes us who we are and gives us our big soul. Our soul has grittiness; it has aware, as the Japanese have it: an inner sense of beauty tempered by a sense of decay and irony. We know where we come from. We know we eat too much, drink too much, smoke too much, party too much… and yet, we know what transcendence smells like…

Last edited by louroclou; 02-20-2008 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 03:55 AM

70 posts, read 176,347 times
Quote:
The greatest thing about Louisville, bar none, without a shadow of a doubt, beyond question is the absolute profusion of first-rate restaurants for a city of only a million people. It's remarkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: