Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:42 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Louisville is definitly the south, I'm under the impression that 99 percent of ppl in the USA would automatically associate it with the south. It's not like being part of the south is a sin lol.
Damn I've never heard of a non midwestern city claiming/desperately wanting to be associated with the midwest before.
There is a certain elistist section of Louisville that condescends the south and wants badly to be accepted by the north. It's sad really. The south is a decent place. Some people are just too arrogant to use the term "southern " such as the mayor of the town Louisville.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:47 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
The insecurities on this forum are rampant. I live in the Great Lakes region of the country, which is a part of the Midwest. That's just fine with me...I love it here.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Oh the black and the white and the lack of grey. Half of my friends in Louisville have accents/ half don't. What drives me nuts is the lack of common sense with these things. Louisville is very much in a geographical transition zone. If you're downtown Louisville you're in the south. If you're downtown New Albany you're in the Midwest? The only thing that separates them is 1/2 mile of river. It drives me nuts how people only seem to understand Indiana=Midwest. Kentucky=South. Evansville Indiana is geographically further south than Louisville, but if you called it southern on here, that would be fighting words to a few overly intense posters.

Louisville is a Southern city with Midwestern industries, Midwestern infrastructure, Midwestern decline and resurgence, and Midwestern suburbs( i.e. Clark/Floyd County Indiana). It also has southern charm, southern housing stock, and southern courtesy. It has BOTH Midwestern and Southern values. These aren't good or bad things, they simple are.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:48 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Don't all regions have transitional zones...some of which are argued about, and some of which are just accepted. For example, eastern Colorado is more like western Kansas than it is the rest of Colorado. The only way you can tell you're entering Colorado from Kansas, is a sign...otherwise, it looks exactly the same. It's the same with the arbitrary borders of many states, and regions. Pittsburgh posters argue that their city (close to the border of Ohio), exists in a different world. Louisville posters are southern and not southern, etc. The truth is, no one really cares (outside of that particular city or state), and it is what it is.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
So says the Mayor:

Confederate memorial to be removed from Univ. of Louisville | WCNC.com

I can assure you that this would not happen in any other city in the southeast US (to remove a confederate monument).

While Louisville is a hybrid Midwest and Southern city, this affirms what I have been saying, straight from the Mayor,

"In Louisville, we do not consider ourselves part of the south." Louisville definitely has some southern elements for sure, and it plays this up big time for derby and to sell bourbon and draw tourists, but that is not the true historic structure of the city.

While Louisville is not the true south, most of KY is. That said, KY is less southern than much of the true south. It was never in the Confederacy. Today, KY has 41 confederate monuments in public spaces....this pales compared to most true southern states:

Ala. ranks 7th for Confederate Monuments - Alabama News
New Orleans is.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:58 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Since Louisville is in a transition zone, it's technically both. Don't fight it. I actually think it's cool to be part of 2 regions

Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Don't all regions have transitional zones...some of which are argued about, and some of which are just accepted. For example, eastern Colorado is more like western Kansas than it is the rest of Colorado. The only way you can tell you're entering Colorado from Kansas, is a sign...otherwise, it looks exactly the same. It's the same with the arbitrary borders of many states, and regions. Pittsburgh posters argue that their city (close to the border of Ohio), exists in a different world. Louisville posters are southern and not southern, etc. The truth is, no one really cares (outside of that particular city or state), and it is what it is.
Yes but this is city-data, which means that people who have never been to Louisville, or the Midwest for that matter will have concrete opinions and argue till they die, no matter how ambiguous life really is. However for the average people who have actual lives, you are right they couldn't care less.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I don't care what the Mayor says. If he says that, he doesn't know his own city.
But some guy online knows it better?

Old 05-01-2016, 12:12 PM

448 posts, read 591,443 times
Well who says the mayors opinion matters more than other residents? I just always thought of it as a midwest city but I've never been there so idk.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:14 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Lousiville is definitely the South. Once you're in Kentucky, it's full-on South.

And New Orleans is removing all its Confederate monuments. I guess New Orleans isn't the South either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area