Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:35 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,961,123 times

Advertisements

There were two train stations in Louisville back in the 1950s, and I am not sure which was which. When my family would ride the train to visit my grandparents and other relatives in Arkansas, it was an all-day experience.

We'd first go from Lexington to Louisville to what I think was the smaller station, then take a taxicab to the other station (most likely Union Station) to catch the train to Memphis, which bypassed Nashville but went through Bowling Green and Milan, TN. There we'd catch a third train, but at the same Memphis Union Station, and it usually would back out of the station platform area for quite a distance, which was fun.

The trains had club cars and dining cars, with white linen napkins, a wide choice of both hot and cold dishes, and personal service. The ice in our water glasses would gently clink as we covered the miles...

There were no Pullmans on those day trains, but you could rent pillows with fresh white cotton pillowcases for twenty-five cents, put the seat back, and nap. My family always tried to get a double seat, so one could be reversed to face the other (with the assistance of the conductor). Then some of us could ride backwards, or put our feet up, or snooze with more room available.

I miss those wonderful days and wonderful trains...but cherish the memories.

Little Rock's Union Station now houses a children's museum. A smaller train station across downtown is now part of the Clinton Library. The picture of Louisville's Union Station looks familiar - I think it was from here that we caught the Memphis train (City of New Orleans??). But what and where was the other Louisville station?

Lexington's Union Station on Main Street is long gone, alas - it was a handsome building with large amber stained glass windows and a fountain in front., located next to what's now the Martin Luther King overpass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area