Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:27 PM

279 posts, read 782,654 times

Advertisements

could you please stop allowing "censusdata" to spam various post with anti-tn, pro-KY propaganda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 04:28 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
If it makes you feel any better, he bashes the rest of KY (especially Lexington) and pumps up Louisville here on the KY board.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:38 PM

279 posts, read 782,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, he bashes the rest of KY (especially Lexington) and pumps up Louisville here on the KY board.
he does it 10x worse to TN, he has praised lexington in posts involving it, so thats quite interesting to know...

Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,023 times
So long as it isn't a flame, I don't know that him posting his honest opinion constitutes spam. And calling him a troll is a little harsh, in my opinion.

I don't always agree with him, but in my experience he always is able to back up his opinions with a logical argument or some good research links.

Last edited by Off Topic; 02-18-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
So long as it isn't a flame, I don't know that him posting his honest opinion constitutes spam. And calling him a troll is a little harsh, in my opinion.

I don't always agree with him, but in my experience he always is able to back up his opinions with a logical argument or some good research links.
Not always. He gives the illusion that he's got good research, but many times he's way off base, such as when he said Somerset borders Tennessee. He hijacks threads in the U.S. general forum to promote Louisville even when the thread has nothing at all to do with Louisville. He pops in the Tennessee forum from time to time to re-post the same study that shows how dangerous Tennessee cities are compared to Kentucky's cities (he did it 3 times the other day), and that is also a clear violation of the Terms of Service (multiple postings of the same thing). When one of his posts got buried, he bumped it up by typing "----------" which is another clear violation of the Terms of Service.

He's certainly entitled to his opinions, but he needs to follow the rules the same as everyone else. And I'm going to keep watching his posts to correct him the next time he twists statistics around in his favor.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Not always. He gives the illusion that he's got good research, but many times he's way off base, such as when he said Somerset borders Tennessee.
OK, so you're saying he's human and occasionally makes mistakes? I don't know what else to say but "welcome to the club." (Also, Sommerset is about 30 miles from the Tenn border, so was that statement really so far off?)

Quote:
He pops in the Tennessee forum from time to time to re-post the same study that shows how dangerous Tennessee cities are compared to Kentucky's cities (he did it 3 times the other day), and that is also a clear violation of the Terms of Service (multiple postings of the same thing).
Just curious - did he have stats to show that was true? If so, why is posting true information a problem? As to multiple posts, my gosh, if you banned everyone who ever did that, you'd have to throw out a lot of members!

Quote:
When one of his posts got buried, he bumped it up by typing "----------" which is another clear violation of the Terms of Service.
That is a clear violation and he should receive a warning.

Quote:
He's certainly entitled to his opinions, but he needs to follow the rules the same as everyone else. And I'm going to keep watching his posts to correct him the next time he twists statistics around in his favor.
Well, I don't know him at all and he probably doesn't need me to defend him, but twisting statistics is often in the eye of the beholder,imo. Any time I don't like what statistics say, I look at how they can be presented in a different way. And with statistics, you can almost always find a counter-argument or cast them in a different light. So I wonder if "twist" is the correct way to characterize them.

Anyway, he certainly appears to have hit a nerve. And since I love Louisville, it would admittedly hit a nerve with me if someone came to this forum and criticized Louisville. But my feeling is that maybe everyone is over-reacting a little.

Which, of course, is everyone's prerogative, so long as we do it in a respectful manner.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 AM

24 posts, read 117,663 times
Well I am new, but I have been looking through these posts on the KY Board and I find a lot of good information from the so-called troll. I think there is a difference between someone who is really a city-booster and someone who just goes around trying to spread misinformation. When someone has the data to back up their remarks, then it is obviously an honest opinion whether to everyone's taste or not. I find the posts helpful. My 2 cents.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
OK, so you're saying he's human and occasionally makes mistakes? I don't know what else to say but "welcome to the club." (Also, Sommerset is about 30 miles from the Tenn border, so was that statement really so far off?)
Yes. The discussion was about towns that border each other. Somerset is in a county that doesn't border Tennessee. He cleverly chose counties in Tennessee that border Kentucky but chose counties in Kentucky that don't border Tennessee to compare which ones are growing the fastest. If that were the only mistake he'd ever made, I wouldn't have cared so much. But in the general U.S. forum he's made some other outlandish statements like Rochester NY is a suburb of Buffalo NY.

Quote:
Just curious - did he have stats to show that was true? If so, why is posting true information a problem? As to multiple posts, my gosh, if you banned everyone who ever did that, you'd have to throw out a lot of members!
From the Terms of Service:

"Do not post the same message to multiple forums, this is cross-posting and multiple posts will be removed."

Yes, he had stats. That's not the issue. The issue is he made the same post in 3 different forums. His original post was kept, but his other ones were removed. He had made similar posts a few months ago, too, using the same stats.

That is a clear violation and he should receive a warning.

Quote:
Well, I don't know him at all and he probably doesn't need me to defend him, but twisting statistics is often in the eye of the beholder,imo. Any time I don't like what statistics say, I look at how they can be presented in a different way. And with statistics, you can almost always find a counter-argument or cast them in a different light. So I wonder if "twist" is the correct way to characterize them.

Anyway, he certainly appears to have hit a nerve. And since I love Louisville, it would admittedly hit a nerve with me if someone came to this forum and criticized Louisville. But my feeling is that maybe everyone is over-reacting a little.

Which, of course, is everyone's prerogative, so long as we do it in a respectful manner.
The Terms of Service also say to be respectful and to avoid inflammatory language. When he said that cities in Tennessee are nothing but "cesspools of criminals and drunks" that's crossing the line.

I would hope that this kind of behavior is not tolerated in Kentucky any more than it's tolerated in Tennessee.

The ONLY reason I have even come into the Kentucky forum was to see what else this person has been up to. He routinely jumps into the Tennessee forum to encourage people to move to Kentucky instead of Tennessee, even to remind people that Kentucky has fewer deaths from tornadoes than Tennessee. (I wonder why he didn't go to the Illinois forum to remind people that Kentucky has fewer deaths from on-campus shootings than Illinois.) He's certainly got the right to encourage people to move to Kentucky, and I have the right to make sure he's stating truths and following the rules.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:51 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Ok, I am sure some have waited for me to weigh in. So, Mr. Opinion here. CD uses statistics very well. Some are misapplied, but 95% of the time, the information is very sound and to the point. I am one who is often challenged in part because I see what the stats can't show, but that's ok too. We find the truth when there is challenge, it is just being able to accept what we don't like when the evidence makes the case. If you disagree with CD or anyone on this blog, have the guts to accept facts or counter with your own.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Ok, I am sure some have waited for me to weigh in. So, Mr. Opinion here. CD uses statistics very well. Some are misapplied, but 95% of the time, the information is very sound and to the point. I am one who is often challenged in part because I see what the stats can't show, but that's ok too. We find the truth when there is challenge, it is just being able to accept what we don't like when the evidence makes the case. If you disagree with CD or anyone on this blog, have the guts to accept facts or counter with your own.
You are exactly right. And that's what I've done. I'm hopeful that he'll also follow the rules from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: