U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,793 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I just found this forum the other day and have been reading the various posts. I live in Columbus Ohio and I am thinking about making a move in 2009...trying to narrow things down a bit. I am very interested in the Louisville area but have a few questions (and I realize there have been a ton of questions asked and answered already. )

1. I have 2 dogs and a "few" cats. I was reading about the new pet ordinance and that has frightened me a bit. Is that actually enforced? I have never seen anything like it, it is almost humorous - except for it could greatly affect my lifestyle. I plan on visiting in a few weeks and wanted to check out the sites for the weekend and bring the dogs. I found some dog parks in the area but they all say "permit required" - not sure what they mean. I emailed the dog park association...but no response. I would love to check out the local dog parks and get a feel for things.

2. I was wondering about the "feel" of things in the sense of personal development and career development among locals. What I am getting at: I am a "life coach" or "personal coach" (whatever term you want to use), Many people seek these services as they try to improve their lives and/or reach their goal, but I find some places are not into expanding their awareness and such and therefore that would not be a good fit for me. Is coaching something familiar to people in Louisville? Forgive me if I seem insulting, I am truly trying to get a handle on things and not paint a picture of ignorance or narrow mindedness of locals.

I guess that is it for now. I have lots of questions...but those are the two most pressing.

I truly appreicate the honest opinions and views that are expressed on this forum!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 PM

70 posts, read 178,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR2366 View Post
Hello everyone, I just found this forum the other day and have been reading the various posts. I live in Columbus Ohio and I am thinking about making a move in 2009...trying to narrow things down a bit. I am very interested in the Louisville area but have a few questions (and I realize there have been a ton of questions asked and answered already. )

1. I have 2 dogs and a "few" cats. I was reading about the new pet ordinance and that has frightened me a bit. Is that actually enforced? I have never seen anything like it, it is almost humorous - except for it could greatly affect my lifestyle. I plan on visiting in a few weeks and wanted to check out the sites for the weekend and bring the dogs. I found some dog parks in the area but they all say "permit required" - not sure what they mean. I emailed the dog park association...but no response. I would love to check out the local dog parks and get a feel for things.

2. I was wondering about the "feel" of things in the sense of personal development and career development among locals. What I am getting at: I am a "life coach" or "personal coach" (whatever term you want to use), Many people seek these services as they try to improve their lives and/or reach their goal, but I find some places are not into expanding their awareness and such and therefore that would not be a good fit for me. Is coaching something familiar to people in Louisville? Forgive me if I seem insulting, I am truly trying to get a handle on things and not paint a picture of ignorance or narrow mindedness of locals.

I guess that is it for now. I have lots of questions...but those are the two most pressing.

I truly appreicate the honest opinions and views that are expressed on this forum!
I don't know how to answer your second question, honestly. I don't see why Louisville would be any more or less amenable to the services you provide than anywhere else. This city is rather eclectic, so I would imagine so.

The dog ordinance came about because traditionally dogs ran free at the top of Cochran Hill in Cherokee Park, which along with Seneca Park is the city's most commonly used park (They're linked). Technically the city has always had an ordinance requiring dogs to remain on a leash, but that was more or less ignored on Dog Hill, as it was called.

I never noticed any problems with Dog Hill, but there were a number of people who complained about dogs wandering out into the Scenic Loop in front of bicyclists, cars, joggers, etc. and other people who I guess didn't like having dogs roll up on them while they were walking through the park, so the city built a dedicated dog run elsewhere in Cherokee Park as well as at 2 other parks around town. The fee is 25 bucks a year and 15 for a second dog, 5 for a third, and so on.

I've lived elsewhere in the US and rules regarding off-leash dogs are far more draconian than they are here. I think a lot of people freaked out because they were able to exercise a measure of freedom that was rescinded. Like I said, I never had a problem with the dogs on Dog Hill, in fact my wife and I always liked it. But, there are a million people in the city, so ...

You need to call the Dog Association; emailing city employees is useless. You'd have a better chance getting in touch with someone from the city by taking a message in a bottle and throwing it into the Ohio river. Out of town visitors are supposed to be able to take their dogs to the dog runs for free if they have proof of appropriate vaccination, etc. Here's the website with their #:

Welcome to the Louisville Dog Run Association Homepage

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 PM

528 posts, read 2,392,015 times
yes, the dog ordinance is being enforced and it is frightening the way is was written, but more importantly - the manner in which it was passed (really long story there). However, the Louisville Kennel Club , with support from the KY Sportsmans Assoc. has filed a lawsuit at the federal level, and they are hopeful it will be overturned.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,793 times
Thanks (both of you) for the replies. I have no problem with a dog being on a leash - I actually prefer it because I think it is safer for all involved (including dogs). My concern was related to parts of the ordinance regarding if your dog is found to be a nuisance (by anyone) twice within a few years ALL your animals will be removed. Loosely interpreted that means if a neighbor doesn't like that my dog barked when they walked by my house and reports it as a nuisance it is "on our record" which is silly. I would hate to live in fear that a few instances would mean losing all my pets and the right to own any for several years. I do not see the logic in that in any way! Also, I started to get the impression that this must have come about because of intolerance (perhaps). I was just totally floored when I read it posted on one of the forums.

Also...It was the dog run association that I emailed.....with no response. I will try again. Both dogs are up to date with vaccinations and have a county license so that will not be a problem.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:04 AM

70 posts, read 178,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR2366 View Post
Thanks (both of you) for the replies. I have no problem with a dog being on a leash - I actually prefer it because I think it is safer for all involved (including dogs). My concern was related to parts of the ordinance regarding if your dog is found to be a nuisance (by anyone) twice within a few years ALL your animals will be removed. Loosely interpreted that means if a neighbor doesn't like that my dog barked when they walked by my house and reports it as a nuisance it is "on our record" which is silly. I would hate to live in fear that a few instances would mean losing all my pets and the right to own any for several years. I do not see the logic in that in any way! Also, I started to get the impression that this must have come about because of intolerance (perhaps). I was just totally floored when I read it posted on one of the forums.

Also...It was the dog run association that I emailed.....with no response. I will try again. Both dogs are up to date with vaccinations and have a county license so that will not be a problem.
The nuisance portion relates to a different dog ordinance, one dealing with vicious breeds used for dog fighting. There were a couple of deaths in the West End where people were mauled by pit bulls whose owners had allowed them to roam the streets. Totally different issue. That ordinance itself is also being reviewed by the metro council.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area