Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,727 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to Louisville, KY shortly and I have read through some previous posts and done some research online in regards to the school system. It seems Oldham County is where we should focus our home search to end up in a good school district. Is there a specific elementary school and neighborhood anyone would recommend in this school district? We will be moving mid-school year so I am looking for a good transition and welcoming school/neighborhood. Any insight I can pass on to our realtor to help narrow our search down would be greatly appreciated. We are moving from the East Coast.
Thank you in advance for any insight anyone can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 06:44 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alombard1 View Post
My family and I will be moving to Louisville, KY shortly and I have read through some previous posts and done some research online in regards to the school system. It seems Oldham County is where we should focus our home search to end up in a good school district. Is there a specific elementary school and neighborhood anyone would recommend in this school district? We will be moving mid-school year so I am looking for a good transition and welcoming school/neighborhood. Any insight I can pass on to our realtor to help narrow our search down would be greatly appreciated. We are moving from the East Coast.
Thank you in advance for any insight anyone can offer.
If you are going public, yes, that is the safest bet. Anywhere in Oldham is fine, it really does not matter. I personally like Prospect to Goshen, and also Crestwood.

In Jefferson County, Anchorage is the only other school district. The home must be zoned for Anchorage school, so check on that, but that is an awesome school.

Depending on where uou work, you need to look at Floyds Knobs, IN. You will get about twice the house for the same money, and the schools are as good or better than Oldham. Also much cheaper taxes.

That said, my kids are in JCPS and I am very happy. It is very diverse and there are great schools as well as awful schools as it is one of the top 25 largest districts in the entire country.

On JCPS website they have a school finder whereby you can type in a potential address and they give you the resides school. The majority of folks get their resides school as long as you play by the rules. Call JCPS directly...do not believe internet hearsay. I personally love the Highlands and St Matthews!

Old 09-21-2016, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,727 times
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You provided me with some great information and I greatly appreciate it.
Do you feel the private school route in Louisville is more popular?
We have narrowed our search down to Anchorage and Oldham County and will be moving mid-school year so we are trying to pick a welcoming family oriented neighborhood and school system.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alombard1 View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You provided me with some great information and I greatly appreciate it.
Do you feel the private school route in Louisville is more popular?
We have narrowed our search down to Anchorage and Oldham County and will be moving mid-school year so we are trying to pick a welcoming family oriented neighborhood and school system.
Private school is popular mainly in Jefferson County, yes (outside Anchorage)

That said, JCPS is one of the largest school districts in the USA! It has some of the best schools in the USA...also some of the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area