U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 36,791 times

Advertisements

Hi I live in eastern louisville now but im moving to Liberty greens around clarksdale housing projects and I know their is a lot of homeless just want to know about crime their and if their is anything else I need to know before I move their thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 PM

11,147 posts, read 23,102,373 times
I don't really think Liberty Greens is a dangerous area. I would say it's comparable to Old Louisville with a few car break ins and maybe an armed robbery every once in a while. I don't remember any murders occurring in that area since Clarksdale was disbanded. You can get a "fake" car alarm flasher which greatly reduces car break ins for $5.

Based on the license plates and cars around the completed parts of LG, it seems like a lot of students and young professionals are moving into it. This project should have been done 30 years ago.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:58 PM

9 posts, read 36,791 times
The main thing im worried about is the homeless and my son is 14 and he always likes to walk around by him self and with all of the homeless people out I dont want him to get jumped or something

Old 02-24-2008, 05:22 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,551,790 times
Liberty Green is a Louisville Housing Authority reconstruction of the old Clarksdale project. I can only speak of Clarksdale and how "territorial" it was. As a matter of fact it was so territorial, I understand middle and high school students had territories on the school bus.

Will it actually be better? Let's all hope so.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:24 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,210,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Liberty Green is a Louisville Housing Authority reconstruction of the old Clarksdale project. I can only speak of Clarksdale and how "territorial" it was. As a matter of fact it was so territorial, I understand middle and high school students had territories on the school bus.

Will it actually be better? Let's all hope so.
Liberty Green is CERTAINLY much better. It already is. Clarksdale projects are long gone, having been razed years ago! The community will have subsidized rentals, and phase one of the homeownership phase starts this spring with Bill Weyland and City Properties constructing high end condo townhomes ranging in price from 100k-500k. This area is quite safe and meant to attract families not interested in the lofts or condo towers downtown:

LouisvilleKy.gov - 2007 - Mayor Launches Liberty Green Home Ownership

Old 02-26-2008, 10:13 AM

221 posts, read 709,212 times
Most homeless folks I know are not violent at all. Many are really very interesting characters. Caution should be advised for a curious 14-year-old, but the idea that crime follows homelessness is not that accurate. Unless there are drugs involved.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Historically, the area east of I-65/Louisville Medical Center and Beargrass Creek had been deteriorating. In part this was because of the Clarksdale housing complex; but as STX discussed, the new Liberty Green project is designed to wipe out the bad. It is my opinion that the jury is still out whether it will be a safe area or not. I agree with Windwalker, homelessness does not equal criminalness. With the huge improvements in downtown Louisville including Slugger Field, and the Medical Center expansions, this area should be improving. I just don't have faith enough to live there with my child yet.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:43 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,210,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Historically, the area east of I-65/Louisville Medical Center and Beargrass Creek had been deteriorating. In part this was because of the Clarksdale housing complex; but as STX discussed, the new Liberty Green project is designed to wipe out the bad. It is my opinion that the jury is still out whether it will be a safe area or not. I agree with Windwalker, homelessness does not equal criminalness. With the huge improvements in downtown Louisville including Slugger Field, and the Medical Center expansions, this area should be improving. I just don't have faith enough to live there with my child yet.
I bet if I showed you all the development down there, you would be shocked...I am highly doubtfull you know the East Main/ Market/Phoenix Hill neighborhood of 2008 as well as you think....there are literally hundreds of high end condos coming into that area. Don't let your past impression of Clarksdale sway your opinion, which we all know is clearly suburban/rural based since you are so loyal to Oldham (which is fine, to each their own). Now...the area east of 65 and SOUTH of Broadway and west of Logan is still a bit rough (not by big city standards but by Louisville standards I suppose). That area is still called Smoketown and dominated by the Shephard Square Projects.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 AM

STX, by now, you should know, you don't have to tell me what's happening. It's my job to know what's going on throughout the Louisville MSA. I am disappointed that you can't tell the difference between passion and objectivity. People ask questions because they want facts and objective opinion. The Courier-Journal and New York Times are examples of once great media firms where subjective instead of objective based opinion have lost not only great numbers of subscribers, but worse they have lost peoples' faith.

I stand behind my opinion about the area between I-65 and the Beargrass Creek. I hope that the area continues to improve as it has greatly done in the recent years, but I am not ready to advise anyone to move there with children.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 AM

11,147 posts, read 23,102,373 times
t.c., what do you mean by east of I-65/ Beargrass Creek? Are you including Smoketown and Shelby Park in that?

Butchertown is east of I-65, and is one of the city's safest neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area