U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:49 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,178,506 times

Advertisements

We are planning on retiring to the Louisville area later this year. We have made many visits and really like what we see, but we do have a couple of concerns.

I suffer terribly from allergies (we live in the dirtiest air in the nation - Los Angeles County) but I keep my allergies under control through prescription medications. I have read here and other places that the Louisville area is not good for allergy sufferers.

My best friend and her husband live in Prospect - they used to live here in So. California and were always healthy and had very mild allergies requiring occasional medication. Since moving to KY, they seem to be sick quite a bit - nagging coughs, wheezing, congestion. They are on regular allergy medication now.

I also read the post here on this forum about a pervasive flu problem.

I do have allergies but they are controlled through meds but we don't get the flu or colds - in fact, I can't remember the last time we were sick. This probably has something to do with a healthy diet and regular exercise - but also we are not in the house all the time in the winter - we take 3 to 5 mile walks every day - because of all the rain, our air quality has been very good this winter.

Is the perception of you long time residents that there is a lot of sickness, asthma and allergies in your area?

We don't want to move and find that we are always sick. Thanks very much for your thoughts on this issue. It is a big move for us and we don't want to make a mistake.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:34 PM

25 posts, read 72,011 times
Default Ohio Valley

The Ohio valley seems to have it's share of allergy symptoms. I would check ou the Metro Health Department to see if they can give you any statistics.

Louisville is a great place with a significant focus on the Arts. The cost of living is pretty good as well.

Hopefully the climate/environment works for you.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:42 PM

We really are sold on Louisville for many reasons - we know all the positives -the flu/colds/congestion and allergy issues are this one negative (which is pretty big actually) that we are concerned about.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 PM

688 posts, read 2,899,626 times
I think that allergies/sinus issues will be a factor to consider if you live in Louisville or probably anywhere along the Ohio Valley, as well as air quality concerns if you are asthmatic or have other resp. issues. Allergies can get bad here - millions of people live with it but it is something you will want to consider.

As far as infectious diseases, KY is currently in the middle of "widespread flu", but according to the CDC, so is every other state except Florida: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Weekly Report: U.S. Map, Influenza Summary Update- Week 49, 2007-2008 Season

One difference that you will find here vs SoCal, perhaps, is that the colder winter weather keeps people inside more. And, close proximity in public spaces with recirculated warm air is a nice breeding ground for germs. So, people are congregrating inside during the winter months and sharing their germs with each other more than in the summer. However, I haven't heard anything KY being any "sicker" than other states unless you count lifestyle or environmental factors, like lung cancer.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Thank you nlschr0 - good answer - I appreciate it.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM

70 posts, read 176,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We are planning on retiring to the Louisville area later this year. We have made many visits and really like what we see, but we do have a couple of concerns.

I suffer terribly from allergies (we live in the dirtiest air in the nation - Los Angeles County) but I keep my allergies under control through prescription medications. I have read here and other places that the Louisville area is not good for allergy sufferers.

My best friend and her husband live in Prospect - they used to live here in So. California and were always healthy and had very mild allergies requiring occasional medication. Since moving to KY, they seem to be sick quite a bit - nagging coughs, wheezing, congestion. They are on regular allergy medication now.

I also read the post here on this forum about a pervasive flu problem.

I do have allergies but they are controlled through meds but we don't get the flu or colds - in fact, I can't remember the last time we were sick. This probably has something to do with a healthy diet and regular exercise - but also we are not in the house all the time in the winter - we take 3 to 5 mile walks every day - because of all the rain, our air quality has been very good this winter.

Is the perception of you long time residents that there is a lot of sickness, asthma and allergies in your area?

We don't want to move and find that we are always sick. Thanks very much for your thoughts on this issue. It is a big move for us and we don't want to make a mistake.
Louisville's air quality index (AQI) rating is certainly better than LA's but remains in the 25 worst, albeit at the bottom of the list. And Louisville did manage to make it off the top 25 ozone pollution list this year. Had local officials not scrapped the Vehicle Emissions Testing (VET) program some years back, there's no doubt Louisville would be off the worst 25 list and falling back toward making it off the worst 50.

Allergies are a different story. Louisville is always at the top of worst cities for allergies lists, along with Austin, Orlando, Atlanta, etc. If you are able to manage your allergies through medication, you may be able to hang. But you might want to spend a Spring here and see how you feel.

I don't think Louisville is any sicker than anywhere else I've lived; however, there is one feature of Louisville weather -- particularly in the Fall and early Winter -- that many people who live here swear on a stack of bibles makes them sick: variable temperatures. You do have days where it's 70 degrees followed by days when it's drops to the 30s and 40s. Then it might pick back up again. I know my body doesn't like it, but I don't necessarily know that it makes me sick.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 AM

221 posts, read 712,380 times
Very helpful responses. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,323,063 times
Louisville's air pollution will get a TON better when Rubbertown's largest factory closes in March. It alone accounts for 40% of the city's emissions
Rubbertown DuPont plant closing is set

Old 02-26-2008, 06:43 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,614,367 times
Yeah, Happy days are here... Rubbertown closes (for those who don't know, its in far western Louisville) air gets better and hundreds lose jobs... Interesting chemistry isn't it.. Oh, yes hundreds lose jobs because of the trickle down effect.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM

70 posts, read 176,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yeah, Happy days are here... Rubbertown closes (for those who don't know, its in far western Louisville) air gets better and hundreds lose jobs... Interesting chemistry isn't it.. Oh, yes hundreds lose jobs because of the trickle down effect.
And hundreds of upscale residents like our friend from California decide to move to Louisville in part because the air quality is better.

Censusdata's point about Rubbertown is germane to your concerns about allergies, since particulates are a big factor in weighing down the pollen that is released into Louisville's air. We live in a valley, and the pollen that is released clears out of our air slower than it might otherwise. If the air is "heavier," for lack of a better word, due to particulates and ozone pollution, the pollen is less able to clear out.

Less pollution should improve the allergy situation, and Louisville, despite some of our neighbors whose economic minds are still mired in the Industrial Revolution, is slowly but steadily coming along in improving its air quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area