Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:03 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LecherousLothario View Post
Yea, thing about me I like to say is, I'm blue in all manners, but politically and socially!! Haha.. In other words, I love progressive-minded towns in regards to infrastructure, healthy organic food availability, and environmental conciousness, but as for most college towns nowadays? Well let's just say The Uni is the main reason I wouldn't consider the otherwise very stately Lexington City Proper.

I am single, but being someone in my mid-thirties who tends to date older, I have no use or want for the college set. In fact I deeply abhor being forced to tolerate them when I'm out on the town for some cabernet, maybe a good tune, and some intelligent conversation with a randy older broad.

Anywho, love the discussion thus far, but serv, I'm a little confused as to what truly tickles your fancy, as earlier you said you'd take Beale over 4th, but now you'e aligned with Peter in saying L'ville blows my other four away.

I do have a strong inclination to believe many folks might opt for the Memphis scene over Louisville, wish they were here to chime in. Maybe I can ask over on the TN board and get some feedback about the safety down there by the Big Muddy to boot.

..Regarding the latter, I'm -quite- certain in this case there is no comparison between the two. L'ville as dangerous as MeM? Me thinks not. Nay, me knows not, heh.
Louisville is much safer, has s better economy, and growing faster than Memphis. Louisville has less sprawl. Based on size and culture, they are comparable, but Louisville is cleaner. No Memphis locals hang on Beale. Same with Louisville and 4th. Highlands blows Midtown Memphis to Smithereens. Memphis has no answer for the walkable young professional scene in heart of St Mathhews. Even Crescent Hilland Clifton are much nicer than Memphis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Hey all.

I wanted to inquire about the current state of pedestrian/residential safety in the immediate Downtown proper of Louisville.

As a long-time big city boy who eschews owning a vehicle, I'm taking a serious long look at Louisville as a new home.

I fully understand this topic can be researched, but what I'm seeking specifically is firsthand, present-tense anecdotal feedback from folks who either live there or work there and spend time walking around.

You all know just the type of "Downtowner" I'm referring to when I talk about safety. They skulk around, basically looking for a target, or instead post up at a bus stop on a corner dealing something or congregating with other denizens of similar ill-repute, loitering into the night and basically screwing with random passer-bys for no other reasonthat to stir some sh.. up.

Yes, of course this element exists in every city center of half a million or more, but my question is not if it's there, but rather how much of it from a subjective viewpoint permeates the inner-cityscape of Louisville.

I've lived both coasts (just can't physically stomach the yuppie, tony, elitist vibes from the big coastal metros any longer, not to mention the monstrous cost of living is a losing battle that can never be truly won), Mid-west(ZzZZ, just plain oatmeal bland), Florida(Step out of the shower, drenched in sweat within 120 seconds, prob is, for a sweater like myself, that's a scenario that plays out 8 months a year on the daily), MS(Liked it in many ways, may have stayed, but simply too severely economically depressed with no upswing in the forseeable future), TX (never was able to get used to being a minority in an American city; I'm a whitey fyi, add to that oppressive humidity and it's a no-go), WV as well (Do not ever step foot in Wheeling, WV, for any reason on earth whatsoever, trust me on this; it is a curs-ed forgotten land, Charleston was enjoyable enough though, and the people kind).

Come to think of it, I've been to most states for modest durations, but have yet to step foot in KY. It's culture, history and people are infinitely more appealing and interesting to me than Indiana's or Ohio's or any of the surrounding generic(just an opinion) locales, and my excitement is building to finally give it a go.

I'm truly grateful and humbly appreciate any feedback that is offered up. Thank you!
I don't think there is any city that can provide what you're looking for. You have to go to a bigger city to live without a car.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't think there is any city that can provide what you're looking for. You have to go to a bigger city to live without a car.
Not even!

There are only 5 or 6 cities you can live carless..NYC, Chi, SF, DC, Boston....and then everyone else! Next tier is Portland, Seattle, Philly. I lived in Philly carless and was a nightmare! Outside the first five cities, you need a car.

I'd rather live carless in s Louisville's highlands than carless in Phoenix, Vegas, even versus cities with some (crappy) transit, ie ATL.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:44 PM

10 posts, read 24,314 times
I can safely say living carless is not as difficult as most life-long drivers believe it to be.

If someone, anyone has trouble living carless in Philly (grew up 1hr away from Philly, have had dozen or so friends there living carless, all doing so effortlessly), with all due respect, the issue is with the individual, and not the metro they're residing in.

Most people.used to driving for many years will always lament about using transit, even in a city center. It's not really about the logistics for them, it's about personal preference and the creature comfort of a vehicle.

Here's a few cities not considered walkable by the vast majority that I've lived in sans a vehicle and did perfectly fine in, residing in them from a minimum of six months and a maximum of approx two years:

El Paso

Wichita

Bangor

Omaha

Fort Myers

Yes, Vegas is tricky without a car, but like any of the above, it's still manageable if you plan wisely and pick your home base with the utmost precision.

Anywhere we're a bit OT here. Let's stick to the safety aspect and also the nightlife energy of DT Louisville. Anyone at all out there prefer Beale St. over 4th Ave. in L'ville?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:38 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
Quote:
I can safely say living carless is not as difficult as most life-long drivers believe it to be.

If someone, anyone has trouble living carless in Philly (grew up 1hr away from Philly, have had dozen or so friends there living carless, all doing so effortlessly), with all due respect, the issue is with the individual, and not the metro they're residing in.

Most people.used to driving for many years will always lament about using transit, even in a city center. It's not really about the logistics for them, it's about personal preference and the creature comfort of a vehicle.

Here's a few cities not considered walkable by the vast majority that I've lived in sans a vehicle and did perfectly fine in, residing in them from a minimum of six months and a maximum of approx two years:

El Paso

Wichita

Bangor

Omaha

Fort Myers

Yes, Vegas is tricky without a car, but like any of the above, it's still manageable if you plan wisely and pick your home base with the utmost precision.

Anywhere we're a bit OT here. Let's stick to the safety aspect and also the nightlife energy of DT Louisville. Anyone at all out there prefer Beale St. over 4th Ave. in L'ville?
I never said that I'd take Beale over 4th because I've never been to Memphis. It's actually on my list of places to visit in the next few months. From what I've heard about Beale, I would think that it's livelier than 4th for all age groups all hours (kinda like Duval in Key West), whereas after a certain hour, 4th St basically becomes a youth haven, and that's only on Friday and Saturday. 4th isn't very lively during the week from my experience.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:

El Paso

Wichita

Bangor

Omaha

Fort Myers

4th St is NOT the main nightlife area of Louisville. Not even close. Louisville's nightlife resides in the neighbrhoods. Louisville is much more vibrant and layered than you think. You really just need to visit.

Even downtown proper, there is much more to nightlife than 4th St such as 8up, Meta, Whiskey Row, hotel lounges like Proof, and a whole other scene in Nulu with place such as Galaxie, Garage, Taj, etc. Restaurants like Decca have lounges attached (theirs is in the basement which becomes a bar in weekends)

Old Louisville has 3-4 bars happening on any given night. I recently discovered Old Louisville Brewing Company. Tavern and Granville is a huge party spot on Thursday for UofL students.

Bardstown Rd has dozen of bars, about half of them gay bars. The largest bar in this area is now Hopcat.

Butchertown has 3 or 4 great bars, and the largest gay mega club in the region (Play).

St Matthews is the main area for young professionals and for lack of better term "rich people." Think of the grown up sorority crowd. Several late night bars there, the most popular of which is probably Tin Roof.

Even Frankfort ave has gotten a scene with a couple bars (3 at least) of late and another opening in the Hilltop Theatre. The Hub is a very professional crowd especially Saturday late evenings.

As far as Beale vs 4th st.....honestly 4th St is more compact, covered, and better to drink when cooler/raining and when events are there such as conventions (this will be amplified when everything downtown reopens at the convention center late in 2018). Beale St is bigger because it is more linear but it is also more dangerous and honestly not a place locals go at all. If you spend more than a weekend in Memphis, you will see this. The trolley is kind of cute but honestly will not help you much as an urbanite.

Louisville is cleaner, safer, nicer, and has better neighborhoods than Memphis. For me, its not a comparison, but on paper, the cities are comparable I guess, especially from a size and clout standpoint. Louisville also has the pedestrian bridge to two charming, walkable cities in S. Indiana...Memphis has car bridges to dumpy, run down areas in Arkansas.

If you lived in those plains cities carless, you can live in Louisville EASILY carless. As I noted before, Tarc runs about every 15 minutes in the Highlands part of Bardstown Rd because there are about 4 different bus lines that use the street. I'd recommend living in Cherokee Triangle. Walk to Value Market grocery, Baxter Movie theatres, and every bar, restaurant, shop, and thrift or furniture store you can imagine....its all right there, even urban outfitters.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I never said that I'd take Beale over 4th because I've never been to Memphis. It's actually on my list of places to visit in the next few months. From what I've heard about Beale, I would think that it's livelier than 4th for all age groups all hours (kinda like Duval in Key West), whereas after a certain hour, 4th St basically becomes a youth haven, and that's only on Friday and Saturday. 4th isn't very lively during the week from my experience.
Servo.....4th St is more lively during the week than you think....it all depends on what convention is in town. Since I have property down there, I am there frequently. Just because no Louisville locals go there, does not mean it is not lively. Lots of pedestrian activity up and down 4th street unless there is no convention in town and the hotels are empty.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:31 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Servo.....4th St is more lively during the week than you think....it all depends on what convention is in town. Since I have property down there, I am there frequently. Just because no Louisville locals go there, does not mean it is not lively. Lots of pedestrian activity up and down 4th street unless there is no convention in town and the hotels are empty.
I also spend time downtown now - and the only time I've seen it really "busy" during the week was during the farm machinery show. With the convention center under construction it has probably tamed the crowds during the week - but I'm not really considering the dinner crowd as part of the pedestrian activity. I'm talking 930-midnight and beyond.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 24,314 times
Quote:

Ya know, I went back to the first page serv, and scrutinized the hell out of it to see just what you were referring to, re defending your position that you never said you'd take Beale over 4th. Turns out my good man, I was in err and had read census' post and somehow mentally attached your username to it. My mistake friend.

Peter, Serv, you both are veritable hotbeds of info re the city proper, and serve to counterpoint each other nicely for a truly 3-D perspective of just what this city has going on Mon thru Sun at night for nightlife.

As for transportation, I suppose my tantamount priority would be in getting out to the Whole Foods just east down 60 there by the Cheesecake Factory. If there was a route out to it from the Downtown proper, well, that'd be just fine. I'll have to check I guess, as having practical access to healthy clean food is central to making a decision on where I move next.

Nice to know 4th and the immediate area really isn't 'it' by any stretch when it comes to nightlife. I'd be lying if I said I smiled when hearing about the gay bars/scene, but just the same, am grateful they exist. I'm sure similar to Omaha, the venues tend to corral that specific demographic to their corresponding interests which also effectively serves to leave the straight guys like me unemcumbered when we specifically head out to meet the fairer sex.

It doesn't really seem Memphis boosts any other strips anywhere around the city center besides Beale. It's a consistent trend I find in my research that's indeed a bit disappoiting.

Louisville sounds much better than I had originally imagined, though it does seem a bit like two diff cities between the two of you, one an obvious booster, and the other a bit more non-commital.

Cherokee Triangle huh Pete? Have to look into it, thanks for the nudge.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I also spend time downtown now - and the only time I've seen it really "busy" during the week was during the farm machinery show. With the convention center under construction it has probably tamed the crowds during the week - but I'm not really considering the dinner crowd as part of the pedestrian activity. I'm talking 930-midnight and beyond.
Servo...what city has a jumping central business district at 10 pm on a Tuesday? I have been to downtown Boston, DC, and LA in the last year... unless near an event center, the bars are dead. Louisville is no different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area