U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 AM

221 posts, read 718,216 times

Advertisements

When I lived in the south, things shut down when it snowed. It was like the gift of a holiday.

Is that true in Louisville? Or do things just keep going? Word on the weather channel is that Louisville doesn't have snow removal equipment to deal with snow like other cities. But I thought UPS would mean it stayed pretty clear. So what's the truth

How is snow removal in areas outside of Louisville? If one chose to live in say Mt. Washington, Oldham County, etc., how much trouble would one have getting into work downtown when it snows?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 10:06 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,221,794 times
yeah, it shuts down quite a bit but there are snow removal things. Here's a pic of my yard:

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-08-2008, 09:07 PM

That looks like quite a snow. How much did you get?

Is that normal?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
That looks like quite a snow. How much did you get?

Is that normal?
They say 11" but it doesn't seem like that much to me. No, it is NOT normal thank goodness! The last "big" snow we had was 4 years ago and before that, 1994.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:44 PM

7,031 posts, read 15,645,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
They say 11" but it doesn't seem like that much to me. No, it is NOT normal thank goodness! The last "big" snow we had was 4 years ago and before that, 1994.
Yes, we got close to the season average in one day

Old 03-09-2008, 02:58 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,739,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
When I lived in the south, things shut down when it snowed. It was like the gift of a holiday.

Is that true in Louisville? Or do things just keep going? Word on the weather channel is that Louisville doesn't have snow removal equipment to deal with snow like other cities. But I thought UPS would mean it stayed pretty clear. So what's the truth.

In 1994, UPS was shut down for nearly two days due to peoples inability to get to work in a 24" snow. It was terrible, we had the big snow, then we had near zero temps before the crews could do their work no matter how heroic.

UPS and the responsible governmental divisions had a "doomsday" understanding after that. Until this weekend, there had been nothing like it since. This time, with great pre-emptive efforts such as brine on the roads, contractors trucks with blades and salt boxes, plus above 24 degree temps we had a hiccup, but that was all.

The Weather Channel is absolutely wrong. Louisville area agencies handled the 14" as well as Cleveland this weekend.

How is snow removal in areas outside of Louisville? If one chose to live in say Mt. Washington, Oldham County, etc., how much trouble would one have getting into work downtown when it snows?

The Interstates get priority! As a matter of fact, odds are far greater that you will be delayed once or twice a month by accidents than once or twice a decade by snow.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks, tom. I often find the weather channel wrong about many things. But it's good to hear this info from folks on the ground there.

My daughter was stranded in Ohio and couldn't make it home for spring break, it was so bad. In fact, her mission trip plans were canceled, which is a shame. Except I get to see her next week now!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Yes, we got close to the season average in one day
I would love to know when the how many times we actually GOT the average LOL

Old 03-09-2008, 06:34 PM

Here's my yard today(notice the green):

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 PM

11,811 posts, read 23,829,695 times
Here is a video of 'my' backyard today and during the storm:

YouTube - Louisville, KY Winter Storm: March 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area