U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:06 PM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 429,222 times

Advertisements

i was wondering how the city is?
Crime
Safety
traffic
nitelife
I currently live in iowa and im planning on attending the university of louisville in the fall and i was wondering about those types of things to finalize my choice.?@
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 05:51 PM

92 posts, read 478,221 times
Louisville has a very low crime rate, and was named one of America's safest cities with a population over 500,000.

The UofL campus is located next to a neighborhood called Old Louisville. Google it. Tons of pictures and history of the area - America;s largest remaining Victorian neighborhood.

Nightlife - Louisville has a 4am closing time and it didn't get the name "Sodom of the Ohio Valley" for nothing. Check out Bardstown Road in the Highlands neighborhood. For a more chill atmosphere, try Frankfort Avenue in Clifton.
Downtown is also hopping with Fourht Street Live and a plethora of new music options along the East Main area. Let's just say you won't get bored with nightlife quickly in Louisville.

Traffic is a piece of cake as long as you aren't trying to drive on the bridges during rush hour. Otherwise, Louisville barely has traffic.

Good Luck...UofL is really going hrough a major renewal process, so it is an exciting time to be in that part of town.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:44 PM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 429,222 times
keep the posts coming and im also wondering about jobs in the area?

Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 AM

850 posts, read 3,014,626 times
The job marjet is tough. Even in the Medical field and Education - where you would believe openings are plentiful - jobs go unfilled, and I still have not found the exact reason.

I see ' too much experience', ' no degree', and many employers who demand degrees but are not willing to pay for the educational background. Same for experience - years of experience in many fields will often times land you in a salary range equal to that of a fast food chain, and often benefits are slim to none.

However - it truly depends on your field. IT positions are almost non-existant. Actually - plentiful but not being filled. Does that make sense? They are marketed, but usually are pulled and not filled.

My husband and I have been going through the job-go-round for several years now - Ford, a major employer in the area is down-sizing tremendously, and it seems to be trickling down through the economy.

As far as the University is concerned, it is one of the best in the nation, and you will be able to find work to sustain you - but it may be retail or fast-food. If you are simply looking to make it through your college years, then - as I have told my own sons, 21 and 17 - it is absolutely worth it. Just be prepared to move to where the jobs are when you graduate - or perhaps by then the market will have opened up.

Anything can happen, that is certain. Hope this helped!

Good Luck and Best Wishes,
Kimmieyky

Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,048,478 times
Louisville does not have low crime - it has high crime

It also has terrible air - the air quality is way below average.

Louisville has some wonderful things about it, but let's not go giving it attributes that it clearly does not have.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Neighbor...=Louisville,KY

Old 12-17-2006, 08:56 PM

^Do you have any facts to back up your claims?

Louisville was ranked 8th safest large city in America in 2006. While many people may not have any other city from which you can draw comparions, I have several.

After being raised in several California cities, living in Indianapolis this year when the city has had 140+ murders in a city that is only about 100,000 people larger in their city than Louisville, and now residing in Chicago, I can honestly say that Louisville has a cake walk when it comes to crime.

And again, don't trust my word on it. The people who compile the actual crime numbers agree with my asessment. Just look them up on the FBI website and do the calculations. Or look up the study that puts Louisville among the safest large cities.

Now is any amount of crime bad? Yes. However, Louisville is a very very safe large American city.

As for air pollution: it is a summertime problem. That being said, the city has been in attainment of EPA standards for the past several summers, hence why the city disbanded its VET testing program. The city is also tackling the air pollution problems casued by Rubbertown plants in the West End and Indiana is also suing Duke Energy to cut emissions from the HUGE Gallagher coal plant in New Albany.

This summer there were very few "Ozone Action Days" and none of them were ever severe in nature. The goal of the city is to never have another ozone action day again...but it is not an overnight thing. The city has made HUGE progress since the 80's when air quality was worst in the Southeast.

But don't worry, Louisville isn't some city ensconsed in smog daily...and even when we have "smog", it is nothing like a Los Angeles smog. It is an annoyance and a hazard for those with ailments, but the leaders are pretty commited to clean the citys air even further.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,048,478 times
I posted a link - those are statistics posted on several national real estate sites. Bad crime, bad air. As far as "the people who compile the crime numbers" agreeing with you....the statistics that you find on yahoo and other real estate sites are compiled by the FBI and compared to a national norm. I have no idea where your statistics are coming from - some organization with financial gain in mind maybe. You should really check your facts.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:40 PM

Really?

Even an elementary Google seach resulted in this website based on FBI statistics from 2003:

(broken link)

Since hyperlinks are disabled, I will give you the gist of what the website says so you don't have to copy and paste it into your webbar:

VIOLENT CRIME

Murder rate is 0.88 times the National Average (below average)
Forcible Rapes are 0.37 times the National Average (WAY below average)
Robberies are 1.07 times the National Average (slightly above average)
Aggrivated Assault is 0.74 times the National Average (well below average)

ALL VIOLENT crime is 0.87 times the National Average (nicely below average)

Property Crime is also 0.91 time the National Average (Also below average)

Or look up Morgan Quitno's report on America's Safest and Most Dangerous Cities. Louisville ranks 8th safest large city, and the Metropolitan Area ranks slightly below US average for crime.

You posted a "report" about ZIP code 40202 which was assigned a number based on a rubric. 40202 is not a bad area of town, although it is an older, blue collar part of town, so I would be more than willing to go out on a limb and say that there was a "problem" with propery crimes in that neighborhood.

When you can find me statistics that rate the entire city as above average and having "bad crme" let me know. Until then, picking and choosing a certain ZIP code with a population of less than 6,000 and saying it has a crime index of "7" doesn't mean a whole lot.

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2006 at 06:20 AM..

Old 12-18-2006, 12:50 AM

After doing some more searching I found date from 1960 to 2005 for the US average and all major US cities. Here are some basic findings:

The violent crime rate in the US is:

2005: 469.2 incidents per 100,000 people. This is the actual rate of VIOLENT crimes in the US as a whole

Violent crime is broken into several categories, some of which being:

MURDER: 5.6 per 100,000
FORCIBLE RAPE: 31.7 per 100,000
ROBBERY: 140.7 per 100,000
AGGRAVATED ASSUALT: 291.1 per 100,000

Now, in the Louisville-Jefferson County Metropolitan Statistical Area, here are the rates:

MURDER: 5.4 per 100,000
FORCIBLE RAPE: 25.7 per 100,000
ROBBERY: 179.5 per 100,000
AGGRAVATED ASSUALT: 202.1 per 100,000

Overall in 2005: 412.6 incidents per 100,000 people.

These numbers mirror the trends from 2003 which I posted above: Crime is lower overall, however, there is a slightly above average robbery rate.

Crime in the greater Louisville area is not only below national average, it is below most of our major regional competitor MSA's:

Cincinnati, OH MSA: 366.9 incidents per 100,000
Lexington, KY MSA: 403.5 incidents per 100,000

Louisville, KY MSA: 412.6 incidents per 100,000
Columbus, OH MSA: 441.5 incidetns per 100,000
St Louis, MO MSA: 544.4 incidents per 100,000
Indianapolis, IN MSA: 574.4 incidents per 100,000
Kansas City, MO MSA: 614.7 incidents per 100,000
Charlotte, NC MSA: 837.8 incidents per 100,000
Nashville, TN MSA: 894.1 incidents per 100,000 (wow!)
Memphis, TN MSA: 1,196.8 incidents per 100,000 (DOUBLE wow!)

News reports from the summer indicate there may have been a spike in robbreies again this year in Louisville, but to offset that, murders have been down substantially. So it really is an ebb and flow.

All I can say is thank God it isn't the 70's and 80's anymore. Crime rates were off the charts all over the US during that era.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 5,846 times
Default Louisville Crime Rates

The stats that you quoted are 2005 figures. According to a recent article reported by WAVE 3 TV Louisville, dated Sept 6, 2006, crime rates have jumped considerably with the exception of the Murder rate and forcible rape. Article below. As for the 8th best places to live, that is true, but that award was based on 2005 crime stats. We will have to wait and see where it ranks in 2007 based on 2006 figures. My bet is that it won't be 8th place.

FBI Report: Louisville Crime Rate Outpacing National Average
Sep 6, 2006 04:46 PM EDT
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=5021890
By James Zambroski

(LOUISVILLE) -- On the same day an undercover metro police officer had his unmarked SUV stolen from his driveway, the FBI issued a report that shows crime in Louisville is growing faster than the national rate. Although police say there are some positives in the report, a candidate for mayor calls it scandalous. WAVE 3 Investigator James Zambroski reports.

Too often when we think of crime, we think of the same old neighborhoods. But police told WAVE 3 there may be as many as 100 victims of Springhurst area burglary ring they broke up last week.

And it doesn't matter who you are or where you live, as one undercover officer learned when his unmarked police vehicle was stolen from his driveway not long after he moved to an upscale east end neighborhood to get away from crime.

Brad Carson says he can relate. "Last week, I had a lawn mower stolen out of my backyard during the day. I caught a young man in my backyard who was obviously looking for more."

A report from the FBI released Monday shows Louisville is bucking national trends when it comes to violent and property crimes. Violent crimes shot up 19 percent in the metro versus 2.5 percent nationally. Property crimes, including vehicle theft is up 5 percent here, although it's down 2 percent nationwide.
Lt. Col. Phillip Turner says simple precautions like keeping car doors locked could prevent auto theft.

Violent crimes include murder, rape, assault and robbery. Metro police say there is some good news in the report. "Our homicides were down," Turner said. "Our sex offenses were down."

Metro police say there were 70 murders in 2004, and that number dropped 16 percent to 59 murders in 2005. But metro councilman Kelly Downard, the Republican candidate for mayor, disputes that figure. "The FBI says 55, the police say 59, our records show 64. What do yours show? Mine said 66."

Downard says the discrepancy is "almost scandalous -- the numbers change everyday I see them. I mean, people are being murdered and the numbers just change. That's shameful."

Police commanders say their approach to crime fighting changes as statistics warrant. "That is our job."

Downard says our police force could be more effective if morale were to improve. "The morale in our police department is as low as I've ever seen it and I've known those people for many years."

Metro police say they've known about the FBI numbers since last December, although they weren't released to the public until Monday.

Based on the report, police tell us they've made adjustments in how they're attacking crime in the metro area. They point out that business robberies are down this year, but acknowledge that bank robberies are way up.

As for the number of murders, there does appear to be significant discrepancies in the latest report that we'll investigate further in the days ahead.

Online Reporter: James Zambroski
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area