Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 911 times

Advertisements

My husband recently accepted a job offer to teach at a school in the Crescent Hill neighborhood of Lousiville. We will be making around $45,000 and have two children, whom we homeschool. We plan to rent for a year, and then hopefully purchase a house.

We are looking for a reasonable commute for my husband (<half an hour, but some wiggle room there). Most of all we want a nice neighborhood to live in--the obvious things like low crime rates and child-friendly, but we are also hoping to be in a place with a small-town or slightly rural feel--the sort of place where we could own enough land for a garden, a few chickens, maybe a goat--but still have neighbors. If possible, it would be nice to live at the end of a bus line so that my husband could bus in to work and we could own only one car. Affordability is important here as well.

I don't know how realistic any of this is; I've never been to Louisville, so I'm hoping some of you folks could help point us in the right direction. Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer88 View Post
My husband recently accepted a job offer to teach at a school in the Crescent Hill neighborhood of Lousiville. We will be making around $45,000 and have two children, whom we homeschool. We plan to rent for a year, and then hopefully purchase a house.

We are looking for a reasonable commute for my husband (<half an hour, but some wiggle room there). Most of all we want a nice neighborhood to live in--the obvious things like low crime rates and child-friendly, but we are also hoping to be in a place with a small-town or slightly rural feel--the sort of place where we could own enough land for a garden, a few chickens, maybe a goat--but still have neighbors. If possible, it would be nice to live at the end of a bus line so that my husband could bus in to work and we could own only one car. Affordability is important here as well.

I don't know how realistic any of this is; I've never been to Louisville, so I'm hoping some of you folks could help point us in the right direction. Thanks very much!
Louisville is very affordable, but on a $45K salary, with 2 kids and a spouse to support, that's never going to be the easiest thing to do.

The good thing about Louisville & Southern Indiana, within 30 minutes allows you almost all areas around/within Louisville.

As far as affordable areas where you can have a few farm animals & a garden, that's tough and still be on a bus line. I would highly recommend Southern Indiana (Sellersburg, Memphis, Floyds Knobs, Georgetown) if you want a little bit of land and still want good affordability. You'd still be within 30 minutes (give or take) but the bus line going accords the bridge would be almost non-existent.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 AM

115 posts, read 146,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer88 View Post

Yikes, I'd keep in mind that buses here are quite slow because they have a ridiculous amount of stops so anything involving a transfer is probably going to take over an hour one way which would make indiana unviable and basically anything else that isn't directly on the bus line, and also tarc is decent but I wouldn't trust it to get me to a job with a fixed starting time if I had a transfer. The buses don't really go to any of the small satellite towns and none of the cities in the snyder really have a small town or rural feel, at least anywhere near crescent hill. And the bus that goes along shelbyville road hits pretty much only areas where 45k is probably not going to buy a house for 4 people. So something has to bend here. Chickens are everywhere though and I think you can keep up to six. I'm not sure about goats I think you need an acre though. You might look at Lyndon or Clifton Heights (which is walkable to where he works probably; even Louisville's densest areas are not particularly dense so it's obviously not rural but not highly urban either), but anywhere within 30 minutes on a bus is going to be at the top end of your price range to unaffordable. The 19 bus also takes you pretty close to the northern part of Hikes Point where you may find something at the top of your price range.

If he were to drive I'd definitely say Indiana though.

Last edited by cubedeathk; 07-06-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-06-2017, 01:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Crescent Hill is an upper middle class area in near the most high end shopping areas. If you want rural / semi rural it depends on your budget. Outer fringes of Jefferson Co, Oldham, Shelby are nice but a bit pricey. Indiana side would be good if your budget if you want the same thing for less many but possibly with $2 a day commuter tolls for some new bridges.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Crescent Hill is an upper middle class area in near the most high end shopping areas. If you want rural / semi rural it depends on your budget. Outer fringes of Jefferson Co, Oldham, Shelby are nice but a bit pricey. Indiana side would be good if your budget if you want the same thing for less many but possibly with $2 a day commuter tolls for some new bridges.
Could also avoid tolls on the 64 bridge (Sherman Minton), and live in New Albany, Floyds Knobs or Georgetown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area