Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
That’s strictly an opinion.

Factually, Louisville is much cheaper, less traffic, great economy, more overall commercial growth (or at least equal) and substantially better weather.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wefor...tional-average

This isn’t the forum for comparisons though.

Louisville has the 11th highest per capita gay population. There are two annual pride parades, gay hotel, gay neighborhood, and gay periodicals. One of my best friends is gay and we enjoy the drag at Play, the best gay dancebar between Chicago and Atlanta.

Most the people I find who really dislike Louisville simply are disengaged. Many cultural amenities they ignore and are focused on home “which is better.”. I had that attitude when I lived there the first time around many years ago. Louisville today is rocking!
I have a more specialized career field, so the Upper Midwest often has more opportunities in terms of positions, so I'll likely consider moving there in within a couple of years or less. "Good weather" is very subjective. I much prefer colder temperatures and snow and can't stand heat and humidity, but many prefer the opposite.
Louisville does indeed punch above its weight in terms of food scene, amenities, music scene, and great urban neighborhoods. The metro does indeed have a large LGBT population, I know a sizable number from where I work. Louisville is certainly strategically located in a central location to all cities in the eastern US, so that is an advantage as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 10:16 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have a more specialized career field, so the Upper Midwest often has more opportunities in terms of positions, so I'll likely consider moving there in within a couple of years or less. "Good weather" is very subjective. I much prefer colder temperatures and snow and can't stand heat and humidity, but many prefer the opposite.
Louisville does indeed punch above its weight in terms of food scene, amenities, music scene, and great urban neighborhoods. The metro does indeed have a large LGBT population, I know a sizable number from where I work. Louisville is certainly strategically located in a central location to all cities in the eastern US, so that is an advantage as well.
Got you. Louisville does have an increasingly broad economy, but it is heavily focused on healthcare, logistics, manufacturing, and now, borubon, food, and tourism which are a major boon.

Many are not aware, but Louisville has a very hot and emerging IT and Maker scene. No, its not even the best in the Ohio Valley, but its rapid growth are surprising.

If you are already focused on moving, Granite, you are not experiencing Louisville like you should. I used to hate it here when I moved with my dad many many moons ago. Frankly, it was an inferior city then. Now, this place is rocking. Just look at all the cranes and construction! I encourage you to do something different in 2018....get on meetup.com and join a group. Go to the Ballet. Get a season pass to Actors.

Shop only at local boutiques such as Butchertown Market. Embrace Bourbon, walk weekly on the Big Four, and do the Holiday House tour in Old Louisville. There is just so much to do here, but some people get stuck in the same rut....get on do502.com....you can go to a unique festival every weekend! Laissez les bons temps rouler kind of vibe here is unique to Louisville and New Orleans! Derby is only the best known example, but there is so much more. Many long time locals, those who had never left, should have lived elsewhere to realize what a gem of a city it is.

It took many years of traveling and living in Louisville off and on to realize what a gem it was! It was like this big city amenity, but small enough to be your hometown. It's accesible enough to utilize the whole metro.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,452 times
I moved here in 2015 from San Francisco -- the Castro neighborhood! -- where I'd lived for 15 years. Louisville, especially the Highlands/Germantown/Crescent Hill/Nulu/Old Louisville areas are very gay-friendly. Here's one example:

Two years ago, City Hall sponsored a national contest promoting the city among LBGT folks. The winners got a fully paid wedding in the city. Mayor Greg Fischer introduced the lucky lesbian couple at the summertime gay pride event on Bardstown Road. And he went out of his way to point out that Louisville isn't the infamous Rowan County, Ky., where county clerk Kim Davis grabbed headlines for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Events like that are simply smart business. Louisville's economic development people know smart, young people -- which any city needs to grow the economy -- are attracted to diverse, tolerant areas. One way to do that is by embracing LGBT folks.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
I used to run a website called cincinnatimojo for a parent company called metromojo based in Louisville. Based on what I have seen from the time I spent there and the people I dealt with I was pleasantly surprised by how tolerant Louisville was compared to my area, they were light years ahead.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:07 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
After living here three years now one of the things I'm curious to learn more about is why/how Louisville became such an oasis for the LGBT folks. I have found it impressive is how organized the community is here, and how deep some of the pockets are that support it. The city that I came from had a decent gay population for it's size and was tolerant, but the community was nowhere near as organized.

One thing that seems evident is that the strong gay presence in the area is organic, and has been rooted here for some time. From all I can tell Louisville's scene is better than both Indy and Cinci based on the amount of visitors that come in for over night stays. One would expect them to have stronger gay communities given how much bigger of markets they are. Even out in the suburbs folks seem to be pretty ambivalent to "alternative lifestyles".

What is it in Louisville's culture/history that made it this way? It is counterintuitive(in a good way) to what one might think or expect when they consider Kentucky.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:04 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
After living here three years now one of the things I'm curious to learn more about is why/how Louisville became such an oasis for the LGBT folks. I have found it impressive is how organized the community is here, and how deep some of the pockets are that support it. The city that I came from had a decent gay population for it's size and was tolerant, but the community was nowhere near as organized.

One thing that seems evident is that the strong gay presence in the area is organic, and has been rooted here for some time. From all I can tell Louisville's scene is better than both Indy and Cinci based on the amount of visitors that come in for over night stays. One would expect them to have stronger gay communities given how much bigger of markets they are. Even out in the suburbs folks seem to be pretty ambivalent to "alternative lifestyles".

What is it in Louisville's culture/history that made it this way? It is counterintuitive(in a good way) to what one might think or expect when they consider Kentucky.
LGBT folks leave many of the smaller cities and rural areas in Kentucky as they are often not good places for anyone that is "different" at all, and usually move to either Louisville or Lexington regions if they stay in the state. So I'd likely say organic population and in-migration of people.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:53 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
LGBT folks leave many of the smaller cities and rural areas in Kentucky as they are often not good places for anyone that is "different" at all, and usually move to either Louisville or Lexington regions if they stay in the state. So I'd likely say organic population and in-migration of people.
That definitely plays a part, but that's not unique to Louisville by any means. Every population center, even of limited scale will draw social refugees from the hinterlands. There's something unique about Louisville that makes it feel more bohemian and eclectic than it's neighbors that are significantly larger. Whether I'm in the Highlands or in Karen country on the east end outside of the Snyder, the population at large tends to be much more tolerant than one might expect. That is unique to Louisville.

Old 07-22-2023, 06:47 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That definitely plays a part, but that's not unique to Louisville by any means. Every population center, even of limited scale will draw social refugees from the hinterlands. There's something unique about Louisville that makes it feel more bohemian and eclectic than it's neighbors that are significantly larger. Whether I'm in the Highlands or in Karen country on the east end outside of the Snyder, the population at large tends to be much more tolerant than one might expect. That is unique to Louisville.
I've never noticed what you're pointing out, before. I suppose how liberal the city can be plays some part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area