Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 05:43 AM

16 posts, read 19,317 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Our family of 4 (plus 1 dog), is looking to relocate out of the DC Metro Area. We would be looking to live within 30 minutes of the city as my husband's work would be in the city. I stay home with my children but am a former elementary school teacher with 5 years experience. I've listed a few things about our lifestyle below.

We are a young family (late 20s/early 30s) with two young children (4.5 and 1.5 years old) and planning on adding to the bunch in the next few years.

We have a German Shepherd pup and would love a decent yard for him to run in and play fetch.

Our budget would be between $300,000 to $375,000 for our home and would prefer a single family home with at least 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2000 sq ft and preferably .5 acre or more. What areas would be best to get this type of home and a community feel with friendly young families (neighborhoods or suburbs).

We would also like to be near good schools and a neighborhood community where neighbors hang out with each other (not really what we get where we live). So suggestions for school districts or schools would be much appreciated.

We would love to find a church (non-denominational preferably) where we can build community with other young families as well. Any good suggestions are welcomed?

We are both pretty independent in our political views so conservative vs liberal isn't too much of an issue for us.

One big thing is we love the outdoors (hiking, camping, backpacking, etc), and I would love to hear what types of activities outdoorsy people do close to the area.

We also love food, wine and beer and trying new things when it comes to those three categories so suggestions on whether your city has that would be a plus.

I have 5 years experience teaching in Fairfax County and was wondering which school districts are better to teach in and which ones I would be able to get a job in. I have a PA and VA teacher license.

With all that said, we are looking to move to a place where we can raise our family well and enjoy life together and with others. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,433,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdwd2009 View Post
Hi all,

Our family of 4 (plus 1 dog), is looking to relocate out of the DC Metro Area. We would be looking to live within 30 minutes of the city as my husband's work would be in the city. I stay home with my children but am a former elementary school teacher with 5 years experience. I've listed a few things about our lifestyle below.

We are a young family (late 20s/early 30s) with two young children (4.5 and 1.5 years old) and planning on adding to the bunch in the next few years.

We have a German Shepherd pup and would love a decent yard for him to run in and play fetch.

Our budget would be between $300,000 to $375,000 for our home and would prefer a single family home with at least 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2000 sq ft and preferably .5 acre or more. What areas would be best to get this type of home and a community feel with friendly young families (neighborhoods or suburbs).

We would also like to be near good schools and a neighborhood community where neighbors hang out with each other (not really what we get where we live). So suggestions for school districts or schools would be much appreciated.

We would love to find a church (non-denominational preferably) where we can build community with other young families as well. Any good suggestions are welcomed?

We are both pretty independent in our political views so conservative vs liberal isn't too much of an issue for us.

One big thing is we love the outdoors (hiking, camping, backpacking, etc), and I would love to hear what types of activities outdoorsy people do close to the area.

We also love food, wine and beer and trying new things when it comes to those three categories so suggestions on whether your city has that would be a plus.

I have 5 years experience teaching in Fairfax County and was wondering which school districts are better to teach in and which ones I would be able to get a job in. I have a PA and VA teacher license.

With all that said, we are looking to move to a place where we can raise our family well and enjoy life together and with others. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Oldham County has the best schools in the Louisville area by far. Jefferson County school system pays quite well for experienced teachers, but it's a more challenging environment - how challenging can depend on where you'd be placed.

As for homes, you're going to be fine within your budget here. The only challenge right now is that the Louisville metro RE market is incredibly hot. Anything between $150k and $350k that is decent is being swept up in mere days, some going over the asking price. This is a concern for people who aren't sure whether they'd stay in Louisville longer than 4-6 years, because a dip in the economy or an increased number of homes built that add to inventory bringing the demand more normalized would result in people who bought in the last 2 years being somewhat underwater.

As for where to search, half-acre + lots aren't easy to find within the metro area - so you're probably looking at Oldham County or Shelby County - either of those in the heart of the county are right at your 30 minute limit - though both can be a little higher in the evening rush hour.

Southeast Christian Church is a mega non-denominational church in the...wait for it... Southeastern portion of the city - if you lived in Shelby County, this is probably somewhat convenient - as it's only about a 15-20 minute drive from Shelbyville on Sundays.

TONS of opportunities on the hiking tip - Pope Lick park (aka Floyds Fork Park) offers nature paths as well as true hiking trails and that's just barely south of the outer circular freeway, I-265. Iroquois Park near the airport also has some nice trails. The best part in terms of hiking, caving, etc are all of the great parks within about 90 minutes of the city. Kentucky has some AWESOME state and national parks, and my wife and I personally prefer to get out of the city to visit those over more local hiking options.

Louisville is just as much of a foodie city as a mid-sized city can be. There are so many great food/wine/craft beer options, and don't forget we also invented Bourbon whiskey - you can find TONS of options for any of your eating and imbibing needs.

Neighbors don't hang out anywhere these days. If/where that still exists it's really only in rural towns. The only thing you might enjoy for that would be a planned community - like Norton Commons in Prospect. That would a) be pushing your budget severely, maybe even unlikely and b) would be much smaller plots than half-acre. The trade-off is that they have tons of people out and about walking with pets and kids and they have a community amphitheater and restaurants and shops contained within the community. My co-worker who moved here from DC a few years ago chose Norton Commons because it was the closest thing the city offers to the aspects they liked about DC.

One thing I will say about Louisvillians though - they are super friendly. Strangers will talk to you in the grocery line, if you're struggling with wrangling your kids/dog, someone will offer to help almost always, and most of the city has a great sense of humor. That's really the best part about living here. The worst part is how bad the drivers are here.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:47 PM

16 posts, read 19,317 times
Thank you so much! This was a great amount of info! We truly appreciate you taking the time to give so much detail 😁

Old 10-21-2017, 03:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,343,177 times
ServoMiff definitely provided a great bulk of info, so I’ll add just a tad bit.

Oldham Co.is definitely a great area, with great schools. LaGrange, Crestwood, Pewee Valley, Goshen, and Prospect are just a few towns that you can look into. You can’t go wrong with any of them.

If you’re open to living in Southern Indiana, you can get great bang for your buck. Floyds Knobs, IN gets my vote. Great schools, nice/safe area, and a lot of nice homes. You would also still be around 15-20 minutes to downtown Louisville. You could also look into New Albany, IN which is more “urban”, but still a great variety of homes, stuff to do, etc...and is right across the bridge from Louisville, KY.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:25 PM

25 posts, read 52,140 times
Floyd and Clark County are closer to the Highlands and downtown Louisville than Oldham County, plus a wide range of housing choices. Jeff and New Albany have really been coming up with revitalization by the way of dozens of chef-driven and locally-owned restaurants opening and thriving. The Big Four Bridge is a big draw in Jeff; the Greenway Project will connect a walking/biking path from New Albany's riverfront all the way to Jeff, which goes over Silver Creek and near the Falls of the Ohio, a cool place of million-year old fossil beds you can explore when the river is low, plus some paths in the nearby woods.

Bad thing about Oldham County is how often I-71 is jacked from traffic accidents and commuting in general. You can still get across the bridge for free on the Clark Memorial Bridge and the Sherman Minton Bridge.

In Floyd County, there's Mount Saint Francis, an almost hidden gem that has miles of hiking trails on 400 acres with a lake as well. It's right off the 150 in Floyds Knobs and only about 15 minutes from downtown Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area