Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 07:05 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Agree....that homicide is kind of scary, as to my knowledge, it is pretty much the only one to occur in an upscale area on someone that the assailant presumably didn't know (however .

But it also says there was an altercation, etc. I am sure the wife can give a good eye witness account.

These little thugs are in every city, and an occasional random crime by them is not uncommon, nor surprising. But yes, overall Louisville is a very safe city.
While Louisville, given its size, is not a dangerous city and I wouldn't go to great lengths to avoid walking with my husband in most parts of it after dark, or even by myself in some parts of it, I would never classify it as a very safe city.

Cities With Similar Population
City, State..................Population......Violent crime/100k.....Property crime/100k........Total crime/100k
Portland, OR................602,568.................493..... .......................5,153...................... ...5,645
Oklahoma City, OK........600,729................783.............. ..............3,901..........................4,684
Milwaukee, WI..............598,078..............1,533........ ...................4,064.......................... 5,597
Las Vegas, NV...............597,353................849....... .....................2,889........................ ..3,738
Baltimore, MD...............622,271..............1,780....... ....................4,778......................... .6,559
Louisville, KY.................605,762................676..... .......................4,424...................... ....5,100
Source: FBI's uniform crime reports for the year of 2016

Old 11-10-2017, 05:58 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceDerwent View Post
I never said that. You are simply inferring it. I never said shootings were common in the Highlands.

Tragedy for those affected, for sure.
You “hinted” at it.

Basically people said “hey this area is safe”, and something happened, which lead to you saying “well, this happened”. You implied that since this happened, it wasn’t safe. If you didn’t have any intent, why post the reply in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
While Louisville, given its size, is not a dangerous city and I wouldn't go to great lengths to avoid walking with my husband in most parts of it after dark, or even by myself in some parts of it, I would never classify it as a very safe city.

Cities With Similar Population
City, State..................Population......Violent crime/100k.....Property crime/100k........Total crime/100k
Portland, OR................602,568.................493..... .......................5,153...................... ...5,645
Oklahoma City, OK........600,729................783.............. ..............3,901..........................4,684
Milwaukee, WI..............598,078..............1,533........ ...................4,064.......................... 5,597
Las Vegas, NV...............597,353................849....... .....................2,889........................ ..3,738
Baltimore, MD...............622,271..............1,780....... ....................4,778......................... .6,559
Louisville, KY.................605,762................676..... .......................4,424...................... ....5,100
Source: FBI's uniform crime reports for the year of 2016
Oldhag, it’s simply not true. Louisville is an extremely safe large city and the data you posted bear that out. Furthermore, crime in Louisville is almost universally segregated, particularly violent crime. The Cherokee Triangle murder was just about the only murder of a normal looking citizen in years. The rest are thug on thug, and if not, a debt/bad drug deal or domestic.

If you don’t think Louisville is a safe large city, you haven’t traveled to enough large cities. As pf a few years ago it was on Morgan Quinto’s safest top 10 largest.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:51 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Oldhag, it’s simply not true. Louisville is an extremely safe large city and the data you posted bear that out. Furthermore, crime in Louisville is almost universally segregated, particularly violent crime. The Cherokee Triangle murder was just about the only murder of a normal looking citizen in years. The rest are thug on thug, and if not, a debt/bad drug deal or domestic.

If you don’t think Louisville is a safe large city, you haven’t traveled to enough large cities. As pf a few years ago it was on Morgan Quinto’s safest top 10 largest.
I have traveled in plenty of large cities. I don't think Louisville is dangerous but it is not very safe (it is the adjective "very" I take umbrage with). It is safe enough and you are right, by avoiding certain areas, not engaging in drug transactions, and not hooking up with some whack-a-doodle you can avoid being a victim of violent crime. Property crimes are a different story, though.

I live in an area right now with a far greater population density than Louisville, there is noticeably less crime here. Louisville does, however, have less crime than I would encounter if I crossed the Potomac into D.C. or many parts of the southern Maryland counties.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:38 PM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
So you’re saying that if one incident occurs it means the area is unsafe? It’s definitely unusual for something for something like this to occur in this area.

If this is your logic, then most towns/cities in America would be unsafe. While it’s unfortunate, it’s not common.
The assailants were from (you guessed it) the west end. Actually came here deliberately to rob rich people.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The assailants were from (you guessed it) the west end. Actually came here deliberately to rob rich people.
Of course. Avoid the West End and a couple other pockets, and it’s safe.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Of course. Avoid the West End and a couple other pockets, and it’s safe.
As the safe Highlands becomes more and more desirable because of crime in other areas (and let's just hope it doesn't eventually go the way of formerly upscale Old Louisville), other "marginal" neighborhoods lying just outside the Highlands - some uncomfortably close to downtown - begin to gentrify. People are forced to buy there because there's simply nothing else that available or affordable. Germantown, Phoenix Hill, Schitzelburg, Butchertown... What about those areas? In other words, what are the "couple other pockets" to which you refer above?

Last edited by otterhere; 02-07-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As the safe Highlands becomes more and more desirable because of crime in other areas (and let's just hope it doesn't eventually go the way of formerly upscale Old Louisville), other "marginal" neighborhoods lying just outside the Highlands - some uncomfortably close to downtown - begin to gentrify. People are forced to buy there because there's simply nothing else that available or affordable. Germantown, Phoenix Hill, Schitzelburg, Butchertown... What about those areas? In other words, what are the "couple other pockets" to which you refer above?
There are some areas around Southern Parkway, Iroquois Park, etc...that have some potential “hot spots”. As well as Germantown as you mentioned. Old Louisville is mostly “petty crime”, like car break-ins.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
There are some areas around Southern Parkway, Iroquois Park, etc...that have some potential “hot spots”. As well as Germantown as you mentioned. Old Louisville is mostly “petty crime”, like car break-ins.
Except for the occasional murder (mostly gang violence/drug related), although that's largely downtown.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 11,631 times
"Thug on thug"; "normal looking citizen" Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-14-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: