Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 30,002 times

Advertisements

I am on disability income ($1,000 per month). I have had issues with subsidized apartment buildings. I am allergic to second hand cigar smoke coming into my apartment from tenant who's apartment borders mine. In the apartment I am about to move out of, I did put plastic outlet and light switch covers under ouside screw on covers, and then taped a plastic sheet over the outlets I dont use, but it didnt help to block odor . I have moved out of 5 apartments because of tenants violating their lease by smoking in their unit. I also have experienced this problem at 4 friends subsidized apartments, all at different addresses, even though smoking is a lease violation. After 9 times of dealing with this, I have had enough. I decided to move out of state and give Louisville a try. I have no place to sleep once I get there so I may have to go to a homeless shelter. I will have to apply and wait a long time for a mobile section 8 voucher. What I am looking for is a low cost apartment over a business with no other apartments in building, or a small house to rent that is 1 level only. I am also open to renting a room inside a church, which would give the church a liitle incone and would be overnight security for the church building. I need a location that is close to or in downtown section within walking distance to laundry, supermarket, library, bank, church, post office, barber. I am poor, and will have to take buses to get around doing errands and appointments that I cannot get to by walking. I am a caucasian male in his 60's. What are the safest neighborhoods or section of downtown Louisville that may be best for me. I will also need to be close to a storage facility to put my belongings and a UPS store to rent a mailbox both temporary until I find somewhere to live. Thank you for any help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagonga View Post
I am on disability income ($1,000 per month). I have had issues with subsidized apartment buildings. I am allergic to second hand cigar smoke coming into my apartment from tenant who's apartment borders mine. In the apartment I am about to move out of, I did put plastic outlet and light switch covers under ouside screw on covers, and then taped a plastic sheet over the outlets I dont use, but it didnt help to block odor . I have moved out of 5 apartments because of tenants violating their lease by smoking in their unit. I also have experienced this problem at 4 friends subsidized apartments, all at different addresses, even though smoking is a lease violation. After 9 times of dealing with this, I have had enough. I decided to move out of state and give Louisville a try. I have no place to sleep once I get there so I may have to go to a homeless shelter. I will have to apply and wait a long time for a mobile section 8 voucher. What I am looking for is a low cost apartment over a business with no other apartments in building, or a small house to rent that is 1 level only. I am also open to renting a room inside a church, which would give the church a liitle incone and would be overnight security for the church building. I need a location that is close to or in downtown section within walking distance to laundry, supermarket, library, bank, church, post office, barber. I am poor, and will have to take buses to get around doing errands and appointments that I cannot get to by walking. I am a caucasian male in his 60's. What are the safest neighborhoods or section of downtown Louisville that may be best for me. I will also need to be close to a storage facility to put my belongings and a UPS store to rent a mailbox both temporary until I find somewhere to live. Thank you for any help and advice.
You will do best to live in Phoenix Hill, east of downtown. There are at least two homeless shelters and some soup kitchens. The problem for you is this neighborhood is gentrifying and I am not sure there is any affordable housing. North of there it's downright upscale and extremely $$$, just like Boston.

But at 1000 a month, you need to get on craigslist and find a roommate. You can find something for under 300 a month and still have a few dollars to eat. You can utilize soup kitchens during the day, and perhaps you can do minor clean up work for someone for spare change. Can you cut grass? Anything? I am sure if you can walk, you might be able to do something for a few dollars. I wish I could help you more. The homeless shelters I can think of off hand are Wayside Mission, St John's day Center, and I think St Vincent's? Soup Kitchen. The Catholic cathedral also hosts meals on the weekend. To be honest, get on craigslist and find a roommate, and maybe offer a service. For example, if you can cook, maybe someone will buy the groceries and split them with you if you cool and clean and chip in on rent and utilities...I think you could easily find a setup like this for under 500/month, which would still give you 500 to spare for clothes, essentials, etc.

Louisville is nice, especially since fresh food at groceries has no tax and groceries are cheap.

Also, Louisville has a free bus downtown along main and market and along 4th street which circulates around downtown. Pretty much any errand can be accomplished using this bus. The problem will really be groceries, but you can probably take the bus (line 23 I think, it is 2 dollars each way) once or twice a week to the ValuMarket on Baxter Avenue.

https://www.ridetarc.org/zerobus-and-hops

Louisville is substantially better than Boston to live on 1000 a month, but if I was in your situation I'd head to a small town in Florida...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area