Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 AM
 
7 posts, read 8,966 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I spent 4 years in Louisville to attend high school. Parents and some family still live there on the west end. I'm moving back after a long time away. I know the west end is no place to raise a family these days, it wasn't when I was younger and isn't now.

I'm looking at Oldham Co. or Shelby Co. but am wondering what schools are like there. I have gone to a few sites and found that Oldham is ranked (depending on site used) A and Shelby Co. ranked B. I have a young one that will eventually be going to school. I want my child to have every opportunity I didn't have while attending school in Jefferson Co. AP courses, college prep, challenging ciriculum, high graduation rate, high retention, reasonable teacher-student ratios, etc etc.

I'll be commuting in to downtown for work. I am not sure what shift it will be but I can imagine that the traffic has increased 100 fold since I was living there.


Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2017, 02:18 PM
 
7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Reputation: 3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeuno View Post
I spent 4 years in Louisville to attend high school. Parents and some family still live there on the west end. I'm moving back after a long time away. I know the west end is no place to raise a family these days, it wasn't when I was younger and isn't now.

I'm looking at Oldham Co. or Shelby Co. but am wondering what schools are like there. I have gone to a few sites and found that Oldham is ranked (depending on site used) A and Shelby Co. ranked B. I have a young one that will eventually be going to school. I want my child to have every opportunity I didn't have while attending school in Jefferson Co. AP courses, college prep, challenging ciriculum, high graduation rate, high retention, reasonable teacher-student ratios, etc etc.

I'll be commuting in to downtown for work. I am not sure what shift it will be but I can imagine that the traffic has increased 100 fold since I was living there.


Any suggestions?
oldham co ky or floyd county IN are best public school district. Eastern Jefferson also has excellent schools, its just the resides system is convoluted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 06:55 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,096 posts, read 2,329,091 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeuno View Post
I spent 4 years in Louisville to attend high school. Parents and some family still live there on the west end. I'm moving back after a long time away. I know the west end is no place to raise a family these days, it wasn't when I was younger and isn't now.

I'm looking at Oldham Co. or Shelby Co. but am wondering what schools are like there. I have gone to a few sites and found that Oldham is ranked (depending on site used) A and Shelby Co. ranked B. I have a young one that will eventually be going to school. I want my child to have every opportunity I didn't have while attending school in Jefferson Co. AP courses, college prep, challenging ciriculum, high graduation rate, high retention, reasonable teacher-student ratios, etc etc.

I'll be commuting in to downtown for work. I am not sure what shift it will be but I can imagine that the traffic has increased 100 fold since I was living there.


Any suggestions?
Louisville traffic compared to most cities of its size, is very reasonable. I dearly miss the Louisville traffic compared to San Francisco traffic I deal with now.

As Peter said, Oldham Co. and Floyd Co. (Indiana) hands down have the best schools. What is your budget looking like? I ALWAYS recommend So.Indiana to anyone looking to move to the area. It’s super affordable and about as safe as it gets. Look into Floyds Knobs or Georgetown Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 07:53 PM
 
Location: IL/IN/FL/CA/KY/FL/KY/WA
1,265 posts, read 1,424,920 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Louisville traffic compared to most cities of its size, is very reasonable. I dearly miss the Louisville traffic compared to San Francisco traffic I deal with now.

As Peter said, Oldham Co. and Floyd Co. (Indiana) hands down have the best schools. What is your budget looking like? I ALWAYS recommend So.Indiana to anyone looking to move to the area. It’s super affordable and about as safe as it gets. Look into Floyds Knobs or Georgetown Indiana.
I'd agree with Greg. My wife isn't fond of living on the less sexy side of the river, but quite honestly you're going to have a much better experience moving back if you looked in Floyd County. Oldham does have great schools, and anyone with money is looking there first if they have kids (and even if they don't for future resale value). Thus (which is also the problem in Louisville metro too) any decent home in the $175-325k price range is snagged up within days or less. If it's been on the market more than a few weeks it's either got something major wrong with it or it's nowhere near move-in ready for a family with modern taste.

Shelby hasn't gotten that crazy yet, but you're going to be even that much farther from downtown in most of Shelby that's residential. My colleagues commute from Shelbyville to Lyndon and it takes them 45 minutes on good days. Shelby also isn't any better commute-wise if you're headed downtown. In fact, it's probably worse in the evening rush hour due to the horrible I-64, I-265 Gene Snyder interchange that slows down to a crawl every weekday from 3-7pm.

Commuting I-71 to downtown from Oldham is also more annoying because the roads haven't widened to accommodate the increased volume of cars so commute times can get hairy. There also seems to be at least one serious accident on that road every other week which causes plenty of snafus. One great benefit you'd have of being on the Indiana side is a much easier commute to downtown AND I-64 is the only interstate bridge now that doesn't have a toll.

I'm also a product of JCPS and while I am thankful for the bussing program giving me some friends that I never would have met otherwise, JCPS is an absolute mess and I don't blame you for wanting to give your kids something better.

There's not much difference politically, tax-wise or otherwise that would give an advantage to KY over IN. It's just that Indiana has a very boring personality as a state. I lived all over IN for 10 years and it's truthful. But, sometimes boring and good schools that is closer to your family and easier commutes to downtown are worth it. New Albany and Jeffersonville have made huge improvements as well over the years with added amenities, though they still have a ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,974 posts, read 25,492,699 times
Reputation: 12187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post

There's not much difference politically, tax-wise or otherwise that would give an advantage to KY over IN. It's just that Indiana has a very boring personality as a state. I lived all over IN for 10 years and it's truthful. But, sometimes boring and good schools that is closer to your family and easier commutes to downtown are worth it. New Albany and Jeffersonville have made huge improvements as well over the years with added amenities, though they still have a ways to go.
I feel like the IN counties in the metro area are more culturally similar to KY than the rest of Indiana and retain a lot of the charm the KY side has. When I go from New Albany to Frankfort I feel a bit of difference. When I go from New Albany to Columbus IN I feel like I'm in a different state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2017, 03:22 PM
 
7 posts, read 8,966 times
Reputation: 15
Thank you all for your input. I hadn't really considered IN side of the river because I am not as familiar with it. I guess it could work if the schools/neighborhood/house/land is the right price. I'll do some searching there.

Just to update, looks like I will indefinitely be moving since I got the job. I will be working nights so traffic will be not as frantic going in as it would for the average 9-5 commuter. It creates some other challenges but they're something I can overcome.

Something I failed to mention in my OP; I currently live in one of those pop-up "young couple" communities where the houses are within a ladder reach and it is certainly NOT something I want to deal with again. I'd prefer something more established and a diverse community of people (like people who are older than 20-30 and not running their crotch rockets through the neighborhood at 80mph). So it sounds like Oldham Co. / La Grange is where all the young white-collar workers now live and commute from. I think I'll look elsewhere. Shelby and Shelbyville still looks promising. I've also started looking at houses in Taylorsville.

I'm looking for land with my house. Some space between houses. An acre + plot is ideal. Still desire schools that are good to better than average.

Anything else I should consider when searching/buying outside of Jeff Co.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2017, 03:24 PM
 
7 posts, read 8,966 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Shelby hasn't gotten that crazy yet, but you're going to be even that much farther from downtown in most of Shelby that's residential. My colleagues commute from Shelbyville to Lyndon and it takes them 45 minutes on good days. Shelby also isn't any better commute-wise if you're headed downtown. In fact, it's probably worse in the evening rush hour due to the horrible I-64, I-265 Gene Snyder interchange that slows down to a crawl every weekday from 3-7pm.

Commuting I-71 to downtown from Oldham is also more annoying because the roads haven't widened to accommodate the increased volume of cars so commute times can get hairy. There also seems to be at least one serious accident on that road every other week which causes plenty of snafus. One great benefit you'd have of being on the Indiana side is a much easier commute to downtown AND I-64 is the only interstate bridge now that doesn't have a toll.
I currently commute and hour and change between my house and my current post. 60min exact if there is no traffic. 45 min will seem like nothing as long as there isn't gridlock traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 09:54 PM
 
Location: IL/IN/FL/CA/KY/FL/KY/WA
1,265 posts, read 1,424,920 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeuno View Post
I currently commute and hour and change between my house and my current post. 60min exact if there is no traffic. 45 min will seem like nothing as long as there isn't gridlock traffic
You'd be in gridlock for 10-15 mins at least each way at the I-265/I-64 interchange and other hot spots if you lived in Shelby County. Taylorsville would be even longer than Shelby County because you're not near an interstate in T-ville. Also, T-ville really lacks amenities (there's not even a Walmart in Spencer County).

Seriously look at Floyd County Indiana, I think you'll get the best bang for your buck there for everything you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2017, 10:20 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,096 posts, read 2,329,091 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
You'd be in gridlock for 10-15 mins at least each way at the I-265/I-64 interchange and other hot spots if you lived in Shelby County. Taylorsville would be even longer than Shelby County because you're not near an interstate in T-ville. Also, T-ville really lacks amenities (there's not even a Walmart in Spencer County).

Seriously look at Floyd County Indiana, I think you'll get the best bang for your buck there for everything you're looking for.
Agree with this. Take it from someone who lived in Floyds Knobs & Georgetown for years, it’s a great place. Excellent school, super safe area, and yet still only 20 minutes to downtown Louisville, while still being more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top