Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 7,554 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am visiting for the first time in late March/early April with my husband for a mini vacay. We are both in our 30's with no kids. We like to drink and have fun but are at the point in our lives where we typically are in bed by 1. We will be staying 4 nights in Germantown near Charles street. The first night we are going to the Waverly Sanatorium for a 2hr guided tour and will probably eat dinner somewhere close by in Germantown. Also maybe go to Zanzabar. The next morning, I definitely want to get some chicken and waffles at brunch and have read that Germantown as a goodplace for that too-4 Pegs? I know I want to visit downtown to check out the museums as well as go to the Highlands neighborhood. What other neighborhoods should I focus on or have I covered enough? Are there any other neighborhoods that I HAVE to visit? We only have 3 fulls days and I want to get the most out of our visit. Also are there any culinary dishes I should try specific to Louisville or Kentucky? I like antique stores, boutique shops, bookstores, coffee shops, record stores, pubs, and historic homes. (also want to drive around Old Louisville). My husband loves retro videogame stores so if anyone has a recommendation, that would be great. I've never had bourbon, so I doubt I will go on a tour. However, I might try some at a bar. Anyways, very excited to explore this city!

Last edited by Kharb85; 01-07-2018 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Waverly is an awesome place, I’ve done many tours and always enjoy it.

If you’re into Victorian era homes, you must visit Old Louisville, it’s one of the largest Victorian neighborhoods in America. Also, the Melwod Arts Center is pretty neat (Located on Melwood Ave).

Comfy Cow is a local (and my favorite) place for your dessert needs. My favorite ice cream by far! Ramsis Cafe on the World is another great restaurant, in The Highlands. They have a large and delicious menu.

Enjoy your time in Louisville!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
March/April is generally a good time to visit, unless you're highly allergic to pollen - Louisville is one of the worst cities for allergies in the country.

Old Louisville is a great area to drive around for the old architecture (drive 3rd St south of downtown until you hit the University of Louisville) - as well as St James Court.

For retro video games, the Recbar in Jeffersontown is where its at. J-town is well on its way to becoming one of the first/only hipster suburbs in the country.

The most Kentucky food is Fried Chicken, because duh.

The most Louisville food is called the Hot Brown. https://www.brownhotel.com/dining-hot-brown

The most Kentucky/Louisville dessert is Derby Pie.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:44 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharb85 View Post
Hello,

I am visiting for the first time in late March/early April with my husband for a mini vacay. We are both in our 30's with no kids. We like to drink and have fun but are at the point in our lives where we typically are in bed by 1. We will be staying 4 nights in Germantown near Charles street. The first night we are going to the Waverly Sanatorium for a 2hr guided tour and will probably eat dinner somewhere close by in Germantown. Also maybe go to Zanzabar. The next morning, I definitely want to get some chicken and waffles at brunch and have read that Germantown as a goodplace for that too-4 Pegs? I know I want to visit downtown to check out the museums as well as go to the Highlands neighborhood. What other neighborhoods should I focus on or have I covered enough? Are there any other neighborhoods that I HAVE to visit? We only have 3 fulls days and I want to get the most out of our visit. Also are there any culinary dishes I should try specific to Louisville or Kentucky? I like antique stores, boutique shops, bookstores, coffee shops, record stores, pubs, and historic homes. (also want to drive around Old Louisville). My husband loves retro videogame stores so if anyone has a recommendation, that would be great. I've never had bourbon, so I doubt I will go on a tour. However, I might try some at a bar. Anyways, very excited to explore this city!
Have to see Nulu and Butchertown... Coffee at Quills or Red Hot Roasters (Louisville has dozens of local coffee shops) Mayan Cafe is amazing food and the basement at Decca or Garage or Nouvelle for drinks (Galaxie to dance)

Take a tour of Copper and Kings...nearby Play has the best drag shows between Chicago and Atlanta.

Butchertown Grocery and the Lola speakeasy above it give you an idea. The best food in Germantown is also most uniquely Louisville: Hammerheads. Mr. Lee’s is my favorite cocktail lounge.

In the Highlands I’d recommend Holy Grale and Seviche.

Don’t forget Clifton and Crescent Hill : Silver Dollar has great amazing chicken and waffles and Guestroom records rocks.

If you have time don’t forget to see the depth of Louisville ‘s urban neighborhoods...New Albany IN has two amazing clothes boutiques, Dress and Dwell and him. Hull and Highwater feels like a seafood place in Tampa.

Even if it’s cold, walk the Big Four Bridge...it gives you an idea of the renaissance only beginning here.In jeffersonville across the Big Four walk Spring St and try some food at Parlour, Portage House, or smoke cigars at Match.

If you have time in Butchertown, stop at Sergio’s. One of strangest dive bars with more world beers than anywhere in the US, or close!

Old 01-08-2018, 01:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Check out the Falls of the Ohio State Park over on the Indiana side, if the weather is nice - it's a huge, exposed prehistoric fossilized coral reef which you can explore, located right beside and extending into the Ohio River. Some of the marine fossils still retain their original colors, amazingly! Might be a good outdoors activity to stretch your legs and get some fresh air after all those restaurants and bars and nightspots.

Louisville also has beautiful city parks - Cherokee and Iroquois Parks are favorites with many. The museum scene is outstanding, too. And don't forget to visit Churchill Downs, even if you're too early for racing.

Enjoy your visit to the Derby City. And don't forget the Hot Brown!

Old 01-08-2018, 02:07 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
You would probably enjoy a visit to historic and beautifully restored Locust Grove, the last home of George Rogers Clark. Farmington, built in 1815, is also worth a visit.

Shelbyville is just down the road, and includes both historic houses and good antique shops and malls. Pretty drive, too!

Old 01-09-2018, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 7,554 times
These are all awesome!! Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area