Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Why? Is this a sign of gang activity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 05:47 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Mostly not at all. Lots of hipster, grunge types doing it mostly. One major area in the Highlands on some new luxury apartments reads "Gentrification." Some of the perpetrators are on heroin. Louisville does have a few gangs but nothing like the big cities.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:
Every city has graffiti, it’s that simple. Graffiti doesn’t automatically mean gang activity or that a place is dangerous.

Does Louisville have Gangs, yes it does. But compared to cities of its size, it has far less and is less dangerous. Plus they are all in the West End

Old 02-25-2018, 10:25 AM

Well, all the graffiti (or increasingly a lot of it) seems to be in the Highlands, where they want $350k for a crappy shotgun and where, perhaps not incoincidentally, there was recently an armed robbery/murder. Makes one disinclined to pay that.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Well, all the graffiti (or increasingly a lot of it) seems to be in the Highlands, where they want $350k for a crappy shotgun and where, perhaps not incoincidentally, there was recently an armed robbery/murder. Makes one disinclined to pay that.
The same can be said for anywhere. The Highlands is safe, without a doubt. Bad things will happen from time to time regardless of where you are.

Condos in San Francisco start at $1 million plus, stuff happens everyday there. Crappy houses in Oakland start around $600K, and that’s in the hood where murders happen frequently.

You cant use that kind of logic, and apply one bad incident to deem a place “unsafe”.

Also keep in mind, The Highlands is the hipster capital of Louisville, a lot of it is “hipster” related.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,066 times
No, No,...that's just teenagers and young adults displaying their artistic abilities.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:59 AM

The section of the Highlands that is absolutely safe is pretty concentrated; basically, Cherokee Triangle. The outlying "gentrifying" areas are still pretty sketchy, if you ask me. AND overpriced.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
The section of the Highlands that is absolutely safe is pretty concentrated; basically, Cherokee Triangle. The outlying "gentrifying" areas are still pretty sketchy, if you ask me. AND overpriced.
Sketchy is determined by each individual, I’d say it’s not too bad. But I also live in the Bay Area currently, where the crime & homeless is a severe issue everywhere you go.

Whenever everyone flicks to one particular area, it’s going to drive the price up, and also experience “growing pains”. The Highlands is a great area overall, and will continue to grow & flourish due to the urbanity it offers.

Are you new to the Louisville area? Judging by the threads you’ve been posting, I’m assuming so?

Old 02-25-2018, 12:53 PM

Not at all. I've watched prices in the "desirable" area rise for many years, while the cleanliness and safety hasn't really improved; it's actually declined, IMHO. Won't surprise me if it becomes another SF -- or even Chicago. It's all about the leadership.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I've watched prices in the "desirable" area rise for many years, while the cleanliness and safety hasn't really improved; it's actually declined, IMHO. Won't surprise me if it becomes another SF -- or even Chicago. It's all about the leadership.
If it becomes SF, that’s a very sad thing. Housing crisis & shortage, housing too expensive, homeless population that can’t be controlled, needles, trash, and poop covering the sidewalks...

I don’t think it’ll get to that level honestly. I think every major city, especially a city on the rise will have some growing pains and I think Louisville definitely will. Hopefully they can straighten it out though. There’s a lot of good happening in Louisville as well, can’t focus on the negative only.

I love Louisville but have always been more of a fan of So.Indiana (specially Floyds Knobs & Corydon). That’s where I loved growing up and until I moved to the Bay Area two years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area