U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 AM

15 posts, read 61,619 times

Advertisements

My husband has been asked to transfer to Louisville within his company. We have always lived in Michigan, but, we are getting very tired of the weather here, and hope that Kentucky weather will be a little more pleasant then what were used to! My husband will be working out of Louisville, and are wondering about the best areas to live in with the best school systems. We have 1 in college, 1 in Community College, one in High School (Who is a GREAT Basketball player!) and one in middle school. ANY help in these areas would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 AM

11,144 posts, read 23,094,302 times
The best public schools in Louisville are in the NE part of the city. There are a large number of private/ Catholic schools throughout. IOldham County has the best public school system in the metro area and entire state. It is still quite rural feeling, but is only 10 minutes or less from the large shopping areas in NE Louisville.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 11,770 times
You can't beat Oldham County public schools. They are opening brand new schools across the county. East Oldham Middle School is only two years old and a new high school is planned for the same campus. Building lots start around $80,000 and homes can range from $250,000 to $750,000.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Perfect! Are there suburbs in Oldham Cty? Or should I just search Oldham County as far as housing? Any subdivisions I should look into?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 AM

11,144 posts, read 23,094,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesflipped! View Post
Perfect! Are there suburbs in Oldham Cty? Or should I just search Oldham County as far as housing? Any subdivisions I should look into?
Oldham doesn't have any big towns- LaGrange is the largest with barely over 5,000. There are only 55,000 people in the entire county. Most of Oldham Co is rural subdivisions. I don't think there are any areas better or worse than any others

Old 03-28-2008, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 11,770 times
Like many places, it all depends on what type of home fits your needs. If your husband is working in downtown Louisville, your best commuting option from Oldham may be in Prospect. If he is working in the Shelbyville road / I-64 area and you want easy access to shopping, there are some nice subdivisions outside of Crestwood.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,549,114 times
I live in Briar Hill which is 5 miles from the intersection of I-265 and KY 22. My wife works near I-64 and Hurstbourne Lane and typically drives to and from her office in 20-25 minutes during heavy traffic hours.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 PM

I just looked at homes for sale in Briar Hill online. Beautiful! This is exactly the type of neighborhood we would be interested in. Is this in the Oldham County school district? Also, is there shopping, movie theaters, etc. close by? What is the weather like? Is it fairly mild in the winter

Old 03-28-2008, 03:42 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,549,114 times
Yes, everything you and the kids will like and/or need. 5 min to Tinsletown (I think they have 16 theaters, but I could be wrong), 5min to Kroger, Meijer, Target, Walmart, Costco for groceries. 15-20 min to downtown with light traffic. New hospital in 5 min. The Summit is a decent outdoor sc. 20 min to 2 indoor malls. Food from DQ to Stoney River (Mitchells Fish House is my fav), and all inside Oldham County's school system. Elementary goes to Kenwood Station, 6,7,8 to South Middle, and 9-12 South High. Lots of denominations of faith from Muslim to Mormon, Jewish, and Christian churches, too.

Weather is always Kentucky at its finest... well, depends on how you define fine. We see four completely separate seasons with moderate to mild winters (seldom below 5) beautiful lush springs, hot hazy humid summers, and gorgeous autumns of colors everywhere.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:36 AM

Thank you so much! Anything else we need to know/suggestions would be of great help. Any other opinions on places to live with a family would be greatly appreciated. Do Oldham County schools have good athletic programs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area