Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,721 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am hoping somebody can offer some information on the Louisville, Ky. area. My DH is transferring with his job, and we are required to live within certain zip codes - 40214, 40258, 40216, 40215, 40211, 40219, 40212, 40228, 40218, 40213, 40217, 40204, 40210, 40245. I am not familiar with the area at all, but I've been reading so much online. So far the zip code that looks like it might interest us is 40245. However, I know nothing.

I am a special education teacher and have been working with young children with autism and intellectual disabilities for 15 years. I am currently in the state of Illinois. Does anyone have any thoughts on schools or teaching in Louisville?

My DD is 16 and will be a sophomore in high school. She struggles with learning and is diagnosed with a language/learning disability. She attends our public school system, but I'm concerned by some of the information I have read about Jefferson County schools. It's all online so I'm taking the information with a grain of salt and hoping to get more information from others. Would she be better served in a private school that offers support? Are students guaranteed attendance in their neighborhood high school? I thought I read that they didn't have to do the lottery system or ride the bus across town for high school. I could be completely wrong though since I have read so much. How is Eastern High School?

I truly appreciate any help that is offered. I'm kind of a mess over this whole thing and I'm struggling with the change. I'm looking for the positive, but my overactive mind does not always allow for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 05:02 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
JCPS will be thrilled to hire you. Absolutely thrilled. They pay well and have excellent benefits. In a study done not long ago comparing teacher salaries to cost-of-living in large metropolitan areas JCPS paid the 6th highest out of the 150 studied. You teach a special population, one not impacted by the areas sky high private school attendance rates, so some of the concerns about teaching for JCPS will not be quite the concern for you.

JCPS has finally been released from its devastating federal 25+ year busing oversight and is still healing. It is going to take time, hopefully less time than the federal government spent destroying the public faith in it. One very positive result is they are now able to better predict school attendance and the extraordinarily obnoxious long bus rides are mostly over. Attendance to an assigned high school is pretty reliable, which is a positive for you since Eastern is one of the systems better schools. As educators, you and I both know special education students, unless the problem is very minor or very severe, are almost always better served in public schools - this is true in Louisville, regardless of the issues over the years with regular education.

One thing you might want to make sure you are well aware of is that Kentucky teachers are not eligible for SS and the WEP means if you become vested in KTRS your future SS will be negatively impacted, even though you paid into the system while employed in other states.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
JCPS will be thrilled to hire you. Absolutely thrilled. They pay well and have excellent benefits. In a study done not long ago comparing teacher salaries to cost-of-living in large metropolitan areas JCPS paid the 6th highest out of the 150 studied. You teach a special population, one not impacted by the areas sky high private school attendance rates, so some of the concerns about teaching for JCPS will not be quite the concern for you.

JCPS has finally been released from its devastating federal 25+ year busing oversight and is still healing. It is going to take time, hopefully less time than the federal government spent destroying the public faith in it. One very positive result is they are now able to better predict school attendance and the extraordinarily obnoxious long bus rides are mostly over. Attendance to an assigned high school is pretty reliable, which is a positive for you since Eastern is one of the systems better schools. As educators, you and I both know special education students, unless the problem is very minor or very severe, are almost always better served in public schools - this is true in Louisville, regardless of the issues over the years with regular education.

One thing you might want to make sure you are well aware of is that Kentucky teachers are not eligible for SS and the WEP means if you become vested in KTRS your future SS will be negatively impacted, even though you paid into the system while employed in other states.

Hello! Thank you so much for this information. I really appreciate it. I absolutely love where I teach, and I hope to love it in Louisville as well. Our timeline is not set totally yet, so I might miss some prime jobs if we arrive after the school year has started. Time will tell how this all works out.

Illinois also does not allow teachers to receive SS benefits. Our pension is in crisis and what some of the legislatures want to do is unconstitutional. Illinois definitely has its share with educational funding and mandates that are almost impossible to carry out.

Thank you again for responding. If you don't mind, I will continue to reach out as questions arise. I'm very thankful for this forum.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:17 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmiller16 View Post
Hello! Thank you so much for this information. I really appreciate it. I absolutely love where I teach, and I hope to love it in Louisville as well. Our timeline is not set totally yet, so I might miss some prime jobs if we arrive after the school year has started. Time will tell how this all works out.

Illinois also does not allow teachers to receive SS benefits. Our pension is in crisis and what some of the legislatures want to do is unconstitutional. Illinois definitely has its share with educational funding and mandates that are almost impossible to carry out.

Thank you again for responding. If you don't mind, I will continue to reach out as questions arise. I'm very thankful for this forum.
Oldhag is going to know more than me, but I think that Kentucky's pension plans for teachers aren't a whole lot better.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...lle/622164001/

Last edited by ServoMiff; 06-19-2018 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: