Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't know you from Adam and have no axe to grind but you are really coming off as a homer now. The OP asked for opinions, you gave yours, and no matter how many longwinded diatribes you give, yours is only one opinion. Repeating yours six times and shouting down others that differ doesn't make yours count for more. No need for you to rebut anyone else's opinion.

You seem to have overlooked my statement up front that I am not really speaking as to how it is today. Put me down as one of the "Louisville expats who left the city when it really wasn't much to write home about" as you put it. I don't need to justify anything. I just haven't seen since anything that made me want to move back. It will take more than a park or museum or stadium that I already enjoy a dozen of where I am.

The OP specifically asked if it was the kind of town where people ask what HS you attended and the fact is, as seen from multiple people here, it is. If so many people from Louisville who left have negative things to say (more "than any other place I have EVER seen") you might ask yourself why? You think God is in on a conspiracy against Louisville? You want to arbitrarily exclude much of the population (East end, J-town, Middletown). I doubt you'd like the views of the West end PRP crowd either. You want to cherry-pick a middle-class segment living in a gentrified urban neighborhood and project that as the typical Louisvillian.

When a city has to brag about parks and museums and soccer stadiums, that's telling. Don't forget the zoo, Louisvillians love to brag on their zoo. Nothing wrong with Destin, I just found it amusing that others mentioned it of all places, and it typifies how Louisvillians have a limited world experience and stick to the same tried-and-true.

I think someone said you are in real estate? Maybe it is you who has the skewed perspective. You probably meet a dozen people a month from all parts of the country looking to move here and think that is a typical experience when in reality you are meeting 20x as many outsiders as the average person. Because you are enamored with Louisville you try to sell it to someone who obviously won't be. Louisville may seem like the big leagues to people moving there from Bowling Green but the OP has spent most of her life in Dallas and Chicago. And she is not looking for a quaint small town experience but wanting urban life.

And once again, exceptions do not change the rule. We are talking about an overall atmosphere. Some could make lots of friends in the most hostile area and some would be loners in the friendliest zone. If the OP was the former she wouldn't be concerned enough to ask about it.

Of course Louisville can't compare to the big city experience in Chicago. I think it DOES compare to Dallas in many ways, albeit on a smaller scale. Being in downtown Dallas and its surrounding urban nabes doesn't frankly feel like a big city. Literally nothing impressive about Dallas....a bland collection of sprawling small towns with nothing more to offer than Louisville, just more of it repeated in congested suburb after suburb.

So if you aren't impressed with a cities zoo, museums, history, art, architecture, or stadiums....what is left to impress? I like to make it very clear that Louisville offers a nice slice of everything in these major cities except for major pro teams and a few ultra luxury retailers no one can afford anyways.

Louisville is like alot of the best of the city without the worst (crime, traffic, prices, congestion, rudeness, etc).

I simply made an observation that Louisville's biggest adversaries are people like you...often aged 35-55, who left in the 80s and 90s, well before the city's recent boom in the last 10 years. Is Louisville booming like the sunbelt? Not quite, but I have already demonstrated 13 BILLION in construction in the last few years. Call me a homer or whatever you want, but Louisville offers many of the opportunities of a larger city with the charm of a smaller one....it just doesn't THINK like a city, particularly Louisville expats!

And there's a reason alot of people don't leave Louisville, or the ones that do, almost always come back...it's a great kept secret! I think if it had a more robust tech economy it would be booming like Austin or Nashville. It's growing at a nice average clip the last decade, but the potential to really hit it's stride is there. But people running around the country bashing it, supposedly "from there" but couldn't tell me the last 5 restaurants to open in nulu vs norton commons, vs the resurgence in southpoints, PRP, even the Dixie transit improvements....that gives Louisville a bad name. They've never once set foot to see the resurgence in downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville, IN. Out of all the cities in the southeast, and I have traveled extensively, the two with the biggest "Detroit effect" are Louisville and Birmingham. They and their former residents are their own worst enemies!

Also, to the OP, for what it is worth, *some* views of Louisville are stuck of it from the persepective of the south end as viewed as a teenager in the 1980s looking to get out. Unless you lived here in any nicer neighborhood as an adult for any number of years, you honestly wouldn't really get what makes the city special....or at least why others can view it that way when you don't, just using old trite stereotypes. Your argument doesn't make sense either ocean....do you think I ignore the negative perception the entire HALF the Chicago metro area has from the south side? You betcha, because I know downtown, north, and the suburbs make it among the greatest large cities in America (Chi, that is). The worst neighborhoods don't hold the same weight as the best anywhere.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-09-2019 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the subject, not other posters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 12:55 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,720 times
I feel like this forum is a place for people to give their honest opinions of places. The first post by oceangaia very much reflects my feelings and perspective about a large portion of people in Louisville and I'm far from the only one who feels that way. I'm glad you love Louisville Peter1948 but I feel as a moderator on this board you should allow people to express their opinions and experiences without responding in a combative way. EVERY time someone says ANYTHING slightly negative in any way it seems that you take it way too personal. It actually just might be that Louisville isn't right for everyone and it's OK for people to disagree? Not trying to attack you just posing a thought.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I feel like this forum is a place for people to give their honest opinions of places. The first post by oceangaia very much reflects my feelings and perspective about a large portion of people in Louisville and I'm far from the only one who feels that way. I'm glad you love Louisville Peter1948 but I feel as a moderator on this board you should allow people to express their opinions and experiences without responding in a combative way. EVERY time someone says ANYTHING slightly negative in any way it seems that you take it way too personal. It actually just might be that Louisville isn't right for everyone and it's OK for people to disagree? Not trying to attack you just posing a thought.
I am not a moderator anymore, and have not been for years. Moderator cut: -.

If someone hasn't spent a solid year of their ADULT life in a place, especially in the last decade, I really cannot see how they can fairly and accurately judge it. So yes, I am stating I am more of an expert on Louisville and my opinions hold more weight in 2019, particularly when I have posted facts to refute what is being said. I'd be happy to prove stats that show Louisville's in migration and international growth. Moderator cut: -.

For what it is worth, I actually appreciate seeing both negative and positive comments about a place, but facts and context are important.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-09-2019 at 06:19 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 08:05 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,720 times
Fair enough.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:11 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Please stick to ONLY discussing the topic. Far too many personal attacks and accusations are being flung about. Louisville is a lovely city, the largest in a state that only has a few metropolitan areas. Like any place it has aspects that are awesome and aspects that are awful. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on where it falls on that continuum in the factors that matter to them.

Please stop the bickering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I am not a moderator anymore, and have not been for years. . Moderator cut: -

If someone hasn't spent a solid year of their ADULT life in a place, especially in the last decade, I really cannot see how they can fairly and accurately judge it. So yes, I am stating I am more of an expert on Louisville and my opinions hold more weight in 2019, particularly when I have posted facts to refute what is being said. I'd be happy to prove stats that show Louisville's in migration and international growth. Moderator cut: -.

For what it is worth, I actually appreciate seeing both negative and positive comments about a place, but facts and context are important.
Correct. I am the moderator of this board. All opinions are allowed and no one should be responding in a combative way.

And, yes, Peter1948 is a bit of an expert on Louisville. His wealth of knowledge when it relates to the city is impressive.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-10-2019 at 05:31 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 05:47 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Most of what I would haft say is here; https://link.medium.com/hDlnj1sJdU

Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I'm bumping this thread because I wanted to thank you all for your insight (bickering aside, anyways).

We'll be spending one night in Louisville (Saturday, June 15, 2019 - Sunday, June 16, 2019) as we travel between Pittsburgh (home) and Southwestern MO (partner's hometown). As such I poked my head in here looking for some suggestions.

We currently live in a historic urban walkable neighborhood, and I was hoping to find an AirBNB in a similar area of Louisville. I initially considered spending our limited time there split between Downtown Louisville and Old Louisville; however, thanks to this thread I'm now thinking of skipping both of those places entirely and just focusing in on Highlands/Bardstown Road Corridor.

Would it be feasible/enjoyable to book an AirBNB in Highlands and just explore to get a good "feel" of Louisville? We aren't looking to do museums, sporting events, theater, concerts, zoos, etc. Due to our limited time I'd just like to see some old houses (exterior only); patronize some independent businesses (coffee shop or two; restaurant or two; gallery/boutique or two); and maybe grab a drink or two. Walking/mobility is not an issue---I currently have a 5-mile round-trip walking commute to and from my office in Pittsburgh.

Does anybody have any comparisons between Louisville and Pittsburgh? I envision Old Louisville to be sort of like our Mexican War Streets (beautiful historic old homes but not much in the way of businesses to enjoy). Downtown Louisville seems lively but not really a "must-see". Highlands seems more like our Squirrel Hill or Shadyside---young professional/yuppie vibe with mature trees, older homes, lots of nightlife, etc. Is this correct? If so, then I'd rather just do the Highlands and skip Old Louisville/Downtown Louisville.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm bumping this thread because I wanted to thank you all for your insight (bickering aside, anyways).

We'll be spending one night in Louisville (Saturday, June 15, 2019 - Sunday, June 16, 2019) as we travel between Pittsburgh (home) and Southwestern MO (partner's hometown). As such I poked my head in here looking for some suggestions.

We currently live in a historic urban walkable neighborhood, and I was hoping to find an AirBNB in a similar area of Louisville. I initially considered spending our limited time there split between Downtown Louisville and Old Louisville; however, thanks to this thread I'm now thinking of skipping both of those places entirely and just focusing in on Highlands/Bardstown Road Corridor.

Would it be feasible/enjoyable to book an AirBNB in Highlands and just explore to get a good "feel" of Louisville? We aren't looking to do museums, sporting events, theater, concerts, zoos, etc. Due to our limited time I'd just like to see some old houses (exterior only); patronize some independent businesses (coffee shop or two; restaurant or two; gallery/boutique or two); and maybe grab a drink or two. Walking/mobility is not an issue---I currently have a 5-mile round-trip walking commute to and from my office in Pittsburgh.

Does anybody have any comparisons between Louisville and Pittsburgh? I envision Old Louisville to be sort of like our Mexican War Streets (beautiful historic old homes but not much in the way of businesses to enjoy). Downtown Louisville seems lively but not really a "must-see". Highlands seems more like our Squirrel Hill or Shadyside---young professional/yuppie vibe with mature trees, older homes, lots of nightlife, etc. Is this correct? If so, then I'd rather just do the Highlands and skip Old Louisville/Downtown Louisville.

You are correct....do the Highlands. But you will be missing way too many cool areas and Louisville has more impressive urban walkable areas than you can imagine, although the built form is "less dense" and a bit more "southern." I would stay as close to Cherokee Road as possible. The Cherokee Triangle Section is ideal.

Don't miss Frankfort Ave as well, from Story Ave to St Matthews (Tin Roof is the big nightlife spot there on a big strip of bars.)

I wouldn't walk Old Louisville but I'd drive by....the largest Victorian neighborhood in the USA. St James Court is the heart. Walk along Belgravia Ct to get an idea of what a pedestrian court is...Louisville has among the most in the USA. Drive East along Oak street to see some of the gentrification in Shelby Park. Full Stop is a good local coffee shop to get an idea of the gentrification in Germantown, and Nachbar will remind you of Pittsburgh along with any number of other corner places in Germantown.

Downtown is what it is but I'd at least check Main Street....check out Michter's distillery and Whiskey Row with Old Forester.

Please don't miss Nulu and Butchertown. This will remind you of a southern Strip District. The cookies and coffee at Please and Thank You are great....Play Nightclub, Butchertown Grocery, and Washington and Franklin Street show you where Louisville's past meet its future. I love the retail in Scout, and if it's nice, don't miss a drink on the patio at Garage Bar.

Finally, don't sleep on downtown Jeffersonville and New Albany, IN. Both must be seen. I'd recommend walking across the Big Four Bridge and exploring Pearl, Spring, and the Riverside drive in Jeffersonville. Cute area. Schimpff's candy is famous there.

Likewise, Market and Pearl in New Albany is a really surprising area. Drive east on Main Street in New Albany for antebellum riverboat mansions.

Do all that and tell me Louisville is not the most underrated under 2 M metro in America. I have traveled all over and sure know it is

Louisville is a great and compact walking city....to speed up your trip, I'd walk the areas along east Market, Washington, Bardstown Rd Cherokee Rd, and Frankfort Ave.

To see downtown and Old Louisville, I'd recommend Louvelo, Bird or Lime Scooters. Buy a monthly Louvelo bike share pass for $15 and ride from downtown south on 4th street to Churchill downs, the ride north on 2nd and 3rd street....this will give you an idea of the former wealth and grandeur of the city....think big city Savannah, maybe with a bit more grit in spots.

Louisville has a huge gay nightlife...there are about a dozen good spots. The Vu is one of the only gay hotels in the entire middle America, and C2 is a bathhouse. Big Bar is very popular for an upscale lounge/gay dive. Play is the big Saturday dance/drag club. Butchertown Grocery nearby and its lounge Lola are also nice.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You are correct....do the Highlands. But you will be missing way too many cool areas and Louisville has more impressive urban walkable areas than you can imagine, although the built form is "less dense" and a bit more "southern." I would stay as close to Cherokee Road as possible. The Cherokee Triangle Section is ideal.

Don't miss Frankfort Ave as well, from Story Ave to St Matthews (Tin Roof is the big nightlife spot there on a big strip of bars.)

I wouldn't walk Old Louisville but I'd drive by....the largest Victorian neighborhood in the USA. St James Court is the heart. Walk along Belgravia Ct to get an idea of what a pedestrian court is...Louisville has among the most in the USA. Drive East along Oak street to see some of the gentrification in Shelby Park. Full Stop is a good local coffee shop to get an idea of the gentrification in Germantown, and Nachbar will remind you of Pittsburgh along with any number of other corner places in Germantown.

Downtown is what it is but I'd at least check Main Street....check out Michter's distillery and Whiskey Row with Old Forester.

Please don't miss Nulu and Butchertown. This will remind you of a southern Strip District. The cookies and coffee at Please and Thank You are great....Play Nightclub, Butchertown Grocery, and Washington and Franklin Street show you where Louisville's past meet its future. I love the retail in Scout, and if it's nice, don't miss a drink on the patio at Garage Bar.

Finally, don't sleep on downtown Jeffersonville and New Albany, IN. Both must be seen. I'd recommend walking across the Big Four Bridge and exploring Pearl, Spring, and the Riverside drive in Jeffersonville. Cute area. Schimpff's candy is famous there.

Likewise, Market and Pearl in New Albany is a really surprising area. Drive east on Main Street in New Albany for antebellum riverboat mansions.

Do all that and tell me Louisville is not the most underrated under 2 M metro in America. I have traveled all over and sure know it is

Louisville is a great and compact walking city....to speed up your trip, I'd walk the areas along east Market, Washington, Bardstown Rd Cherokee Rd, and Frankfort Ave.

To see downtown and Old Louisville, I'd recommend Louvelo, Bird or Lime Scooters. Buy a monthly Louvelo bike share pass for $15 and ride from downtown south on 4th street to Churchill downs, the ride north on 2nd and 3rd street....this will give you an idea of the former wealth and grandeur of the city....think big city Savannah, maybe with a bit more grit in spots.

Louisville has a huge gay nightlife...there are about a dozen good spots. The Vu is one of the only gay hotels in the entire middle America, and C2 is a bathhouse. Big Bar is very popular for an upscale lounge/gay dive. Play is the big Saturday dance/drag club. Butchertown Grocery nearby and its lounge Lola are also nice.
Thank you for this impressive rundown, Peter! You're an asset to Louisville!

We have booked a place near the corner of Baxter & Morton (near Flanagan's, Quills Coffee, and Molly Malone's as a point of reference).

From here we can easily access Baxter/Bardstown on foot. It also seems like Germantown is accessible on foot. We'll probably drive around Old Louisville and park/walk around a bit.

If we like what we see we'll be back, possibly for Labor Day weekend, to explore more of the city. I'll report back here with my experience!

Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you for this impressive rundown, Peter! You're an asset to Louisville!

We have booked a place near the corner of Baxter & Morton (near Flanagan's, Quills Coffee, and Molly Malone's as a point of reference).

From here we can easily access Baxter/Bardstown on foot. It also seems like Germantown is accessible on foot. We'll probably drive around Old Louisville and park/walk around a bit.

If we like what we see we'll be back, possibly for Labor Day weekend, to explore more of the city. I'll report back here with my experience!
be sure you walk down bardstown Road southeast towards the Douglass Loop. Drive along Everett Ave, Cherokee Road along Cherokee Park, and Willow Ave. If you go to Germantown, the best way to do it is head southeast on Bardstown Rd, then west on Eastern Parkway....this will give a small glimpse of Louisville's famous Olmstead Parkways. Germantown is really hard to see if without a tour guide. To get an idea of the massive hipster gentrification in Germantown, visit places like Monnik, 21st Amendment Lounge, and especially, Full Stop....all of these neighborhoods have several boutique breweries embedded in them. My favorite newish brewery is close to your Airbnb...Gravely Brewing has a rooftop patio with expansive city views from a hill...very Pittsburghesque.

The main commercial strip in Germantown is Goss Avenue, heading north towards the new Germantown Mills Lofts. Mr. Lee's is one of the coolest speakeasies in the Midwest outside Chicago. To get an idea about the massive gentrification occurring here, I'd recommend renting a Bird or Lime Scooter and going north on Logan Street past the new Logan Street market (google it) to open in July, then head east on Mary (Oak) back into the Highlands. The Highlands is EXPANSIVE. Areas like Lakeside and Bellarmine University are why locals love it so.

Old Louisville is hit or miss. The heart is St James and Belgravia courts. There is corner restaurants here and there, but commercially not impressive. In Old Louisville, focus in the box defined by UofL on the south, 6th st on the west, Oak on the north, Floyd on the east (You will notice gentrification all around there, even a very large tower crane just south of UofL on 4th street)

even doing all this you will only see 25% of the premiere urban neighborhoods. East of 65, the area known as Smoketown is still a bit rough in parts, but rapidly gentrifying as a tenth place urban nabe.

Also nearby, seeing nulu and Butchertown at least superficially is a MUST. Start at Market street and I-65 and walk east until the road ends. Then head north and check out Butchertown Market, Copper and Kings, and eat at Butchertown Grocery or Naïve....lots of very hip corner spots like this.

Downtown proper and Old Louisville are best explored on Louvelo. Keep in mind if you download the Transit app (that's a way you can use louvelo.com), that helps a lot! Also download Tarc app and utilize the free Loulift buses downtown

Do all that and you may THINK you have seen Louisville but you woundnt have even seen a fraction of the premiere urban nabes! If you like all that you will be shocked at the activity in Clifton and Crescent Hill along Frankfort Ave and the cross density there. Then the development on the waterfront in downtown Jeffersonville near Big Four Station Park, and even downtown New Albany. You will have missed the massive marina project and the new soccer stadium and more. Don't forget heart of St Matthews! That is where all the young professionals hang, centered around Tin Roof bar. It's an inner ring subub "downtown area."

In the suburbs, Norton Commons is worth seeing. I am not exaggerating when I tell you its the nicest new urbanist community in America. That's why the Congress on New Urbanism has their international conference here in June.

At the end of the day, if you are expecting Dayton OH or even Syracuse or Greeneville SC, your jaw is going to drop at what's going on in Louisville. You just have to know where to go. I'd be happy to show you around, just message me!

Last edited by Peter1948; 05-16-2019 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area