Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 03:11 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times

Advertisements

Louisville has twice the violent crime than the rest of America.
Many people think it is overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 02:07 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
I visited Louisville right before COVID, in March 2020.

Was surprised it was so vibrant at the time downtown, with many restaurants and bars, and lots to do. Loved how friendly folks were too. Also, I met my cousin in the city and he gave me some good Louisville insight.

My cousin lives in Lexington, and said he really prefers Lexington over Louisville. He was saying while Louisville is growing, it oddly feels like a convergence of "many small towns" into a city. Said the crime was bad in some areas, (as in all cities generally at some times) but that there are a lot of really nice neighborhoods with fun and good living.

On the whole, he echoed what I've read on this forum from some folks: that Louisville can be very "clique-oriented." For this reason, it makes the city seem smaller, and the attitudes are smaller.

Many southern cities are like that-and to really grow to that next level, more and more new folks have to keep moving in and the city has to get used to growth and transplants, I think.

I enjoyed my couple days greatly there, but could see how it would be just a city to visit, and not one to move to, for some people.

I want to go back for the Kentucky Derby for sure--and probably will in the next few years.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:59 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I find this thread very informative including the back and forth. The topics discussed and Peter's incredible knowledge about so many areas of the metro make this thread the compelling read it is. I believe everyone is unique and each unique viewpoint has good elements and bad elements. I have found the posters to be very open and transparent with their expectations and experiences with Louisville.

I am in a suburban North Dallas area currently retired with a spouse with serious chronic health issues. We have lived in Pittsburgh for 2 years and I enjoy exploring and moving to new areas from doing so in my work years. So I explore areas from CD and the many other online resources we have today.

The biggest hole I see is any discussion of health care in Louisville. The age of those who might move back or retire near KY need a handle on this aspect of the area whether they now know it or not. Any thoughts on healthcare in Louisville or near it, say an hour or hour and a half drive?

I want to think the Moderators and posters for the level of info here and the open diverse views expressed and kicked around. Job well done all and that in small part attracts me to this part of our country.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:08 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I find this thread very informative including the back and forth. The topics discussed and Peter's incredible knowledge about so many areas of the metro make this thread the compelling read it is. I believe everyone is unique and each unique viewpoint has good elements and bad elements. I have found the posters to be very open and transparent with their expectations and experiences with Louisville.

I am in a suburban North Dallas area currently retired with a spouse with serious chronic health issues. We have lived in Pittsburgh for 2 years and I enjoy exploring and moving to new areas from doing so in my work years. So I explore areas from CD and the many other online resources we have today.

The biggest hole I see is any discussion of health care in Louisville. The age of those who might move back or retire near KY need a handle on this aspect of the area whether they now know it or not. Any thoughts on healthcare in Louisville or near it, say an hour or hour and a half drive?

I want to think the Moderators and posters for the level of info here and the open diverse views expressed and kicked around. Job well done all and that in small part attracts me to this part of our country.
I work in healthcare and travel for it, along with real estate. Healthcare in Louisville, NKY, and Lexington is excellent.

I cannot say the same for most the rest of the state. There are decent hospitals in Owensboro, Pikeville, and Bowling Green. I am not impressed with healthcare in the rest of the state at all.

The Norton and Baptist systems in Louisville are WONDERFUL. I think living near Norton Brownsboro hospitals in the Prospect or Oldham Co area is ideal for your age group.

Louisville was historically one of the safest large US cities. It will get better with a new mayor and has already started to get better in the last couple months. Louisville has so much exciting development planned with many cranes about to go up in the Nulu section uptown from the CBD. Louisville is extremely cultured.

I'd say it feels similar to Pittsburgh in many regards but growing much faster with more jobs and opportunity long term. The main difference is smaller suburbs and lack of pro teams. We do have a tier one pro women's soccer club and the highest level tier 1b men's soccer team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area