Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 12:25 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

Elkin Avenue in New Albany? Surely this whole town will gentrify, along with Clarksville and Jeffersonville, with the progression of the Ohio River Greenway and waterfront development in each area. Prices are already rising.

Last edited by otterhere; 05-17-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 01:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Ekin e of Vincennes mostly good

Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Elkin Avenue in New Albany? Surely this whole town will gentrify, along with Clarksville and Jeffersonville, with the progression of the Ohio River Greenway and waterfront development in each area. Prices are already rising.
New Albany acts more like a city of its size and knows what the word redevelopment actually means. Clarksville and Jeffersonville just do not have the same level of good city planning with far more sprawl and disorganized development. Jeffersonville is out of control with the mayor rubber stamping every single construction project under the sun all at the same time, and has not really figured out what larger-scale redevelopment is as of yet.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:19 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
New Albany acts more like a city of its size and knows what the word redevelopment actually means. Clarksville and Jeffersonville just do not have the same level of good city planning with far more sprawl and disorganized development. Jeffersonville is out of control with the mayor rubber stamping every single construction project under the sun all at the same time, and has not really figured out what larger-scale redevelopment is as of yet.
When they demolish the small homes & industrial properties near Colgate Tower, it'll free up a little space. But that space is already reserved for "luxury" condos like the new ones on River Rd on the Lville side.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
When they demolish the small homes & industrial properties near Colgate Tower, it'll free up a little space. But that space is already reserved for "luxury" condos like the new ones on River Rd on the Lville side.
Speaking of which, a new Aloft hotel was announced for the colgate area today, along with apartments and offices

Old 05-23-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Speaking of which, a new Aloft hotel was announced for the colgate area today, along with apartments and offices
I've known about the development plans for a long while, I'm in the underground utility business among other things. I didn't know it would be an ALOFT Hotel specifically, not a bad choice.

They're in the soil boring testing stages in that area as far as beginning the demo process.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:27 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I like the potential of 'old clarksville' (south of brown station way) with the plans for building a Newport on the Levee like projects area around Colgate and on the other side the building of a large park on former junk yard / industrial sites. The 7 mile bike trail through there is a great addition. Some nice older housing stock there that is still very affordable. New Albany's gentrification is further along and the govt there is very progressive on planning issues.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I like the potential of 'old clarksville' (south of brown station way) with the plans for building a Newport on the Levee like projects area around Colgate and on the other side the building of a large park on former junk yard / industrial sites. The 7 mile bike trail through there is a great addition. Some nice older housing stock there that is still very affordable. New Albany's gentrification is further along and the govt there is very progressive on planning issues.
New Albany has done excellent in "bringing back" the downtown area, keeping the historic homes & buildings maintained, etc... I used to live in a downtown loft above a restaurant in New Albany, it was fun watching things progress first hand.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 AM

115 posts, read 146,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

I hope Clarksville is able to turn it around but that wedge of land between 65 and the railroad is a pretty grim post industrial hellscape at the moment, but I guess they've basically got a blank slate to work with ... and New Albany is great but if for example you grew up on the eastern half of Louisville it's just so far from all the amenities and things you're familiar with ... if only they could just pick it up and trade spaces with Jeffersonville or Clarksville because even with the greenway it's still a pretty solid hour bike ride between downtown Louisville and New Albany ... I've really suspected Jeffersonville will suck the life out of New Albany and kill its momentum given its much better location since the Big 4 opened up ...

Last edited by cubedeathk; 05-25-2019 at 05:09 AM..

Old 05-25-2019, 09:11 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
I hope Clarksville is able to turn it around but that wedge of land between 65 and the railroad is a pretty grim post industrial hellscape at the moment, but I guess they've basically got a blank slate to work with ... and New Albany is great but if for example you grew up on the eastern half of Louisville it's just so far from all the amenities and things you're familiar with ... if only they could just pick it up and trade spaces with Jeffersonville or Clarksville because even with the greenway it's still a pretty solid hour bike ride between downtown Louisville and New Albany ... I've really suspected Jeffersonville will suck the life out of New Albany and kill its momentum given its much better location since the Big 4 opened up ...
Jeffersonville has bad city planning and redevelopment from what I've seen for several years. True, a large-scale new "quantity" of development, but the mayor definitely loves to rubber stamp every single development project thrown at the city regardless of what it is. Combine that with ripping up nearly every single road in the city and doing "construction" on them all at the same time, and it is a complete joke. The Downtown area still does not have the stronger cohesive urban planning that one would expect given the proximity to Louisville, and highway 62 north of the city to River Ridge and Charlestown is very dangerous now given the vehicle traffic count and poor modifications made to the road given the "rubber stamping" any development in River Ridge as fast as they can. I never knew there was such a mad rush to build things as quickly and cheaply as possible. The city better learn what redevelopment is and quickly at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area