Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,961 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I am planning on moving back to Lousiville in the next few months. I'd like to gather some information on how the city has changed since I last lived there.

I was wondering how the job market is currently doing? Where I currently live if you want a min. wage service job, we got those in spades. As someone with an MS in Higher Ed., I'm hoping to one day use that degree. There are a few different universities and colleges in the area. If not, I have worked in secondary education for years.

In addition, have the neighborhoods changed or the bad ones still bad and the good ones still good? Is Portland still a no-go area or has that changed, there was always some nice houses in the area? I used to live in the Newburg area and paid 650 a month for a 3 bedroom house. I doubt I'd ever find that again and I know that rent has gone up. I am up to paying 1250 or maybe more a month as I currently pay 1000 for my leaking hurricane-damaged house. As for the area I'm willing to live in, as long as it is safeish and no one minds a hound dog, and somewhat close to downtown, then I really don't care.

I'm on a fact-finding mission as I look and apply for jobs in the area. I want to know what I am getting into if I do land a job there, so I can prepare as best as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:06 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceHubble View Post
Hey,

I am planning on moving back to Lousiville in the next few months. I'd like to gather some information on how the city has changed since I last lived there.

I was wondering how the job market is currently doing? Where I currently live if you want a min. wage service job, we got those in spades. As someone with an MS in Higher Ed., I'm hoping to one day use that degree. There are a few different universities and colleges in the area. If not, I have worked in secondary education for years.

In addition, have the neighborhoods changed or the bad ones still bad and the good ones still good? Is Portland still a no-go area or has that changed, there was always some nice houses in the area? I used to live in the Newburg area and paid 650 a month for a 3 bedroom house. I doubt I'd ever find that again and I know that rent has gone up. I am up to paying 1250 or maybe more a month as I currently pay 1000 for my leaking hurricane-damaged house. As for the area I'm willing to live in, as long as it is safeish and no one minds a hound dog, and somewhat close to downtown, then I really don't care.

I'm on a fact-finding mission as I look and apply for jobs in the area. I want to know what I am getting into if I do land a job there, so I can prepare as best as I can.
Louisville has gotten much better in every way. Yes, there are still issues but with the exception of slightly higher crime and some problems with trash/homeless, the city is light years better than 10 years ago.

More jobs, tons of construction, rapidly gentrified neighborhoods, lots of national buzz, tourists, hotels and apartmet construction.

Portland has improved quite a bit. In the furtherst northeast parts of the area, around 15th and Portland, it isn't too bad.

That said, by far the best affordable areas close to downtown are the corridor from southern Pheonix Hill to Smoketown, eastern Old Louisville, and Shelby Park.

This neighborhood has seen significant gentrification and even finding rents for $650 is getting tough but for a one bed should be ok. PM me for more!

You will be mostly priced out of the nicest city neighborhoods such as Nulu, CBD, Butchertown, Clifton, Crescent Hill, Highlands, and even the nicer parts of Old Louisville like St James Ct.

Other options are downtown Jeffersonville and New Albany IN. There is so much development in those areas it is not recognizable!

Old 02-20-2019, 04:48 AM

115 posts, read 146,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

You will be mostly priced out of the nicest city neighborhoods such as Nulu, CBD, Butchertown, Clifton, Crescent Hill, Highlands, and even the nicer parts of Old Louisville like St James Ct.

I don't know, if the OP is really okay spending up to $1250, Zillow shows a number of rentals in all of those areas, most for quite a bit less, around $800 to $975, especially if you're okay with a one bedroom, which you don't specify. So it's really just a matter of choosing what suits you best; even with everything going up, Louisville isn't that expensive. What things do you value and what kind of neighborhood are you interested in living in? For the most part what was unsafe still is probably uncomfortable to most people, other than Nulu and Phoenix Hill, but by large most of the city is pretty safe. You mention Portland, which is improving, but I probably still wouldn't rent there, and with your budget there's no need to move somewhere up and coming to save money.

Last edited by cubedeathk; 02-20-2019 at 04:57 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,961 times
Thank you for the information.

I really don't mind an up and coming place in which to rent. I'm looking at 3 bedroom places as I live with my sister and mom. I tend to get a lot of crap for that, but it is easier to live with others and share the cost. As for the rent, we can afford more, but I live to save money where I can. I'm cheap. I was unsure of what the average rent prices for the area were so I used a ballpark figure of where I currently live.

I am glad that Louisville is changing for the better. I just remember it being a great place to live and I am glad that it has not changed for the worse for the most part.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:36 PM

115 posts, read 146,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceHubble View Post
Thank you for the information.

I really don't mind an up and coming place in which to rent. I'm looking at 3 bedroom places as I live with my sister and mom. I tend to get a lot of crap for that, but it is easier to live with others and share the cost. As for the rent, we can afford more, but I live to save money where I can. I'm cheap. I was unsure of what the average rent prices for the area were so I used a ballpark figure of where I currently live.

I am glad that Louisville is changing for the better. I just remember it being a great place to live and I am glad that it has not changed for the worse for the most part.

Oh that changes things. I'd definitely recommend Clifton Heights then. Underrated area close to a grocery and retail and fast food and other restaurants, very close to downtown, walking distance to some of the Clifton attractions, and pretty safe, and there's a lot of apartments and condos there so something should always be available. It's a good spot to get a lot of space for not much money, really close to where people are paying a lot more in Clifton, and it's really one of the few places with rents in your price range that meets your close to downtown criteria. Germantown and all neighborhoods west to 65 would be my first or second choice if you can get a house there, since I'm surprised to see there are still several houses in that price range there. I feel like you have to really value what Old Louisville offers to enjoy it there, and without a grocery anymore I'd pass unless you're really interested in Old Louisville itself.

Those are some safe options in the city. As for more edgy but cheaper places, Portland is not gentrified now if that's what you've heard. There's a lot of investment going on but it's probably on the whole pretty similar to how you remember it. Shelby Park has got some great areas now but your experience will vary greatly street by street so be wary. I hear good things about Wilder Park now too, but I don't have any experience.

Last edited by cubedeathk; 02-20-2019 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-23-2019, 07:42 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
OP, when did you last leave? I've lived here on and off since 2002 and there isn't much change at all in the worst / best areas.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZfdNaemwig
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area