U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM

9 posts, read 6,682 times

Advertisements

Our new job offer is in the 264 & 31W area of Louisville (think it may be referred to as the Shively area?). We're looking at buying in the outskirts (would like an acre or more, we are big time gardeners, have chickens, etc.). Our insurance agent suggested buying in the IN side of the river due to auto insurance being so much cheaper in IN, but it seems like the toll expense to drive over the bridge 2+ times a day would eat up any savings?
We have a smaller budget of $175k maximum. Need 3 bedrooms, an acre or so. As long as the bones are good we're not afraid to take on cosmetic work.
We're looking for an area with a strong sense of community that is friendly to newcomers (community gatherings, parades, farmers markets, parks). We have four kids but we home school so the school systems themselves are not a high concern. The kids do like to be involved in the sports, scouting, FHA, the local fair, etc.
We're not big on stores/shopping/restaurants etc. We spend most of our time enjoying the outdoors cheaply (biking, hiking, swimming, picnics, fishing, gardening, and so on)

Where would y'all suggest we look within 30 minutes commute of the area mentioned? Or 45 minutes if we need to in order to afford what we're looking for.
Thank you for your time
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 01:53 PM

11,034 posts, read 22,569,970 times
There are 3 toll bridges (Future 265 and both I-65 bridges), the I-64 bridge at New Albany and downtown US 31 bridges are free. NA to Shively is generally a backup free commute. On the KY side western Bullitt maybe rural far south Jefferson Co would be best areas to look.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:25 AM

6,886 posts, read 14,774,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeRoamer View Post
Our new job offer is in the 264 & 31W area of Louisville (think it may be referred to as the Shively area?). We're looking at buying in the outskirts (would like an acre or more, we are big time gardeners, have chickens, etc.). Our insurance agent suggested buying in the IN side of the river due to auto insurance being so much cheaper in IN, but it seems like the toll expense to drive over the bridge 2+ times a day would eat up any savings?
We have a smaller budget of $175k maximum. Need 3 bedrooms, an acre or so. As long as the bones are good we're not afraid to take on cosmetic work.
We're looking for an area with a strong sense of community that is friendly to newcomers (community gatherings, parades, farmers markets, parks). We have four kids but we home school so the school systems themselves are not a high concern. The kids do like to be involved in the sports, scouting, FHA, the local fair, etc.
We're not big on stores/shopping/restaurants etc. We spend most of our time enjoying the outdoors cheaply (biking, hiking, swimming, picnics, fishing, gardening, and so on)

Where would y'all suggest we look within 30 minutes commute of the area mentioned? Or 45 minutes if we need to in order to afford what we're looking for.
Thank you for your time
The western bridge in Indiana does not have tolls (for now). I anticipate that could change in 3 years and in 2021 the Sherman Minton Bridge will be under construction (ie disaster).

Areas to look would be around Georgetown or Edwardsville, IN, close to I-64 exits. Floyds Knobs, IN too pricey, and New Albany too urban. Same with Shively and PRP in KY, too urban.

In KY, look to the outskirts of Valley Station, Hollyvilla, Fairdale in Louisville.
Most people are moving further out on the south side though for better schools in Bullitt county. If you look around Brooks, KY west of I-65, it feels very rural even though if you travel east of I-65 it is very suburban with all the shopping you need.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,820,480 times
The 64 bridge is still toll-free, and is relatively traffic free. They're doing/will be doing surveys and they will cause some delay time-time. This is coming from someone who does this daily, first hand from Georgetown.

@Peter1948 is correct, and I agree to look into Georgetown, Floyds Knobs and Lanesville. Floyd Co.has great schools as well (so georgetown & floyds knobs).

I've always lived in So.Indiana instead of Louisville, and love it.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:40 AM

15 posts, read 20,868 times
I'd also look at Downtown New Albany to significantly reduce your commuting time. Some parts are transitioning to more family friendly from down trodden, but there's a real sense of community down here and a lot of local ammenities you aren't going to get in the Floyd's Knobs (breweries, good local coffee, walkable neighborhoods, the river and interesting parks, the YMCA is pretty great here, etc). I have a co-worker who lives in the city and has chickens and a garden and has no problems.

Many times on my commute I'd see traffic backed up all the way to 265 or even 150 and I'd get directly on the bridge from Spring St and be out of traffic in a couple minutes while they had to sit on the expressway lord knows how long. I get that you're not really into city living, but there's even a huge fair that takes place downtown called Harvest Homecoming, and is really the best around. I'd just give it some thought. As a person who's lived downtown I'd personally never look at those other sleepier bedroom communities now.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 5,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry00 View Post
I'd also look at Downtown New Albany to significantly reduce your commuting time. Some parts are transitioning to more family friendly from down trodden, but there's a real sense of community down here and a lot of local ammenities you aren't going to get in the Floyd's Knobs (breweries, good local coffee, walkable neighborhoods, the river and interesting parks, the YMCA is pretty great here, etc). I have a co-worker who lives in the city and has chickens and a garden and has no problems.

Many times on my commute I'd see traffic backed up all the way to 265 or even 150 and I'd get directly on the bridge from Spring St and be out of traffic in a couple minutes while they had to sit on the expressway lord knows how long. I get that you're not really into city living, but there's even a huge fair that takes place downtown called Harvest Homecoming, and is really the best around. I'd just give it some thought. As a person who's lived downtown I'd personally never look at those other sleepier bedroom communities now.

it's true, it's called "downtown" but downtown new albany is hardly manhattan, and not to criticize new albany, but it aslo hardly qualifies as city living ... more like Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls ... anyways there's much more of a "community" to tap into and more chances to know and see your neighbors on a regular basis than any car-oriented suburb ... which is probably where I'd head if I didn't want a community or to have anyone bother me ever

Last edited by MrFlatworm; 05-01-2019 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 04:37 PM

3,365 posts, read 4,055,804 times
"I'd also look at Downtown New Albany"....perhaps you overlooked the 1 acre plus for gardens and chickens ?
OP, find a real estate agent and give him/her your wish list....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-02-2019, 03:07 AM

10 posts, read 5,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I'd also look at Downtown New Albany"....perhaps you overlooked the 1 acre plus for gardens and chickens ?
OP, find a real estate agent and give him/her your wish list....

Regards
Gemstone1
Perhaps you over looked looking for "community"? I'm sitting in a strange woman's bed right now downtown New Albany listening to roosters, btw.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:28 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,820,480 times
The 1 acre will be hard to come by in New Albany, you could find it more out past IUS, and random "outskirt" areas but probably won't be anything within your price range.

I still say Floyd Co. like Georgetown or Lanesville would be ideal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area