Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 10:14 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times

Advertisements

Saw a statement by the national weather service that said Louisville had gone 49 weeks without a single solid week of no rainfall. This is why I moved. Just thought CD users who come here should know that it does, in fact, rain all the time in Louisville regardless of what some might tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 02:35 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Saw a statement by the national weather service that said Louisville had gone 49 weeks without a single solid week of no rainfall. This is why I moved. Just thought CD users who come here should know that it does, in fact, rain all the time in Louisville regardless of what some might tell you.
I grew up in Conn and spent a few years in Florida as well and now live in the desert SW. I look forward to living where it rains at least once a week and even several days at time again. I miss it terribly.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Sounds wonderful. In Arizona, you have to waste the precious potable water of the diminishing Colorado, Salt and Verde rivers to allow even the slightest amount of life to survive there at the expense of the riparian habitats that existed and evolved over thousands of years.

Killing Arizona to "live" in a green Arizona.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:33 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Get used to the excessive rain, it's only going to get worse. Wet areas will keep getting wetter over time as a warmer climate means the atmosphere has the ability to hold more moisture. Precipitable water values are increasing, leading to many more extreme rainfall events and flooding. I recorded over 72.00'' of precipitation last year in Clark County, IN. Needless to say, I'm moving way up on the hillside at double the elevation of the Ohio River to at least partially get out of the swampy muck.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
False. This is ALL TIME RECORD material for Louisville. It's far from normal. Louisville has an average to above average rainfall annually historically.

It is NOT one of the rainiest major cities, it is just a two year anomaly due to a pattern of La Nina.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/wettest-pl...he-usa-4135027

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...f-america.html

Even if you take the modern post 1980 era, Louisville is nowhere to be found:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...st-rainy-days/

Now tell me....why are former Louisville residents its biggest critics and literally make up false stats to make it look worse than it is? Louisville is not the desert but it is simply not a top 10 rainy city.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:13 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
False. This is ALL TIME RECORD material for Louisville. It's far from normal. Louisville has an average to above average rainfall annually historically.

It is NOT one of the rainiest major cities, it is just a two year anomaly due to a pattern of La Nina.

Now tell me....why are former Louisville residents its biggest critics and literally make up false stats to make it look worse than it is? Louisville is not the desert but it is simply not a top 10 rainy city.
Past doesn't predict the future, but this AcE study sure makes it seem like this isn't an anomaly anymore

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ort/831135001/

Rain once a week or so is healthy - long droughts and long bouts of rain are not.

The OP moved because they don't like rain apparently. Arizona is the perfect place for them. Maybe when drinking water becomes non-existent in the next 10 years there, they'll rethink their stance on rain.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Past doesn't predict the future, but this AcE study sure makes it seem like this isn't an anomaly anymore

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ort/831135001/

Rain once a week or so is healthy - long droughts and long bouts of rain are not.

The OP moved because they don't like rain apparently. Arizona is the perfect place for them. Maybe when drinking water becomes non-existent in the next 10 years there, they'll rethink their stance on rain.
I'm in Phoenix, where the vast majority of our water comes from the Salt river basin, not the Colorado. Our reservoirs are full and the long term water outlook here is good. It is true that other parts of the state are not in the same situation, but I don't waste much time worrying about it. Vegas will be the first city to go dry long before my hometown.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

Nothing in my statement is false. I didn't claim that this was the norm, I just stated that it rains a lot there. And when you're talking "wettest cities" they are based on total rainfall. The fact is Louisville has 93 days of sun a year. FACT. So if you like cloudy, wet and humid conditions Louisville can be the perfect place for you. As I've said in several posts the city has a lot going for it. I know it's very difficult for you to accept anyone saying anything about Louisville that doesn't coincide with your utopian view of the most perfect city on earth, but some of us disagree with that vision.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:10 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Nothing in my statement is false. I didn't claim that this was the norm, I just stated that it rains a lot there. And when you're talking "wettest cities" they are based on total rainfall. The fact is Louisville has 93 days of sun a year. FACT. So if you like cloudy, wet and humid conditions Louisville can be the perfect place for you. As I've said in several posts the city has a lot going for it. I know it's very difficult for you to accept anyone saying anything about Louisville that doesn't coincide with your utopian view of the most perfect city on earth, but some of us disagree with that vision.
In terms of climatology, ALL of the wettest years in Louisville recorded weather history have been in the last 20-25 years. The trend is your friend, and the trend is that the region is becoming substantially wetter over time, with last year just adding to the insanity. This year it has been more of the same again, with MORE RAIN compared to this same time last year- so I've recorded around 37.00'' as of early July...

Old 07-06-2019, 12:23 PM

16 posts, read 29,852 times
So are you saying climate change isn't going to render Arizona and Phoenix uninhabitable before Kentucky. Okay, I'll take you up on that bet. We really should be climate change's effects on the rainfall and not chalking it up to 'crazy Kentucky weather'. I'm not really advocating one over the other, Arizona is beautiful, but it's completely unsustainable on the emissions path we're on. By the middle to end of the century it will be unbearable to live there, and there will be a water crisis. Many models show that the western half the of the US (west of the Mississippi) is 20% drier in the past decade and the Eastern half is 20% wetter; essentially all the moister is leaving the west half of the continent and dumping on the east half. This is just going to intensify as time wears on.

Last edited by Ry00; 07-06-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: