Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 05:03 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh, no, no, no. It used to be that Derby Day was when you pulled out the whites and Labor Day was when you put them up. The church ladies could be downright militant about it. Men could get away with wearing white shirts with ties, a white t-shirt under another shirt, or as part of a uniform, but otherwise everything was supposed to be off white or cream. We weren’t even allowed to wear white socks unless it was for gym. My mother wouldn’t even wear white earrings after Labor Day.
Fascinating!! Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
I thought that rule was only for shoes. And in the 70's mens belts.

And purses! God forbid you carry a white purse after Labor Day!

Old 09-05-2019, 09:33 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
I thought that rule was only for shoes. And in the 70's mens belts.
That was the short list for men.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,457 times
Wasn't the reason for this because after Labor Day it could start getting cooler, which would mean you'd start heating your house, which usually used a coal furnace? All that airborne soot would be more noticeable if it landed on white clothes.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:55 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Wasn't the reason for this because after Labor Day it could start getting cooler, which would mean you'd start heating your house, which usually used a coal furnace? All that airborne soot would be more noticeable if it landed on white clothes.
Just thinking out loud, I think it may also come from a time where wearing white in winter did not help to keep you warm. Dark colors absorb heat, white is just the opposite. White keeps you cool in the summer. That's just from a practical standpoint. From there it developed into fashion and what was acceptable and what wasn't in a traditional sense.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:09 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Just thinking out loud, I think it may also come from a time where wearing white in winter did not help to keep you warm. Dark colors absorb heat, white is just the opposite. White keeps you cool in the summer. That's just from a practical standpoint. From there it developed into fashion and what was acceptable and what wasn't in a traditional sense.
That's an interesting theory but how does it apply to purses? I would't have been caught dead with a white purse after Labor Day (still wouldn't--it would look strange somehow.)

Anyway, white makes me think of summer resorts and after Labor Day the colors change to fall colors--orange, yellow, darker warmer colors. In winter where I live it's black or other darker colors. Just seems to fit the mood of the seasons. In spring, it goes to pastels like pink or light green. But that's not a "law" anymore, lol.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
I was in Louisville for over a week and only saw 2 people in white. (Except for the bride at a wedding.). Personally, I think ladies are ready for fall to come and like to change out their wardrobes. Not much white clothing around.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:36 AM

38 posts, read 28,741 times
I've always heard this wearing white crap was a rule of the old money northeast "summering" society. Why anyone would care now is perplexing. Who even pays attention? I thought this thread must have been a joke at first.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
You sound mad about it! There are upper classes. They will mostly always dress better. It’s OK. That’s the way life is.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:34 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
You sound mad about it! There are upper classes. They will mostly always dress better. It’s OK. That’s the way life is.

^No reason to be rude and insulting.
That poster had a valid point. And a right to their own opinion.

There are snooty arrogant people who think they are better than other people because they do or do not wear a certain color, or because they belong to a different "class" and think themselves better than other people.

The true sign of someone with "class" is someone who acts with manners, kindness and grace.
Not someone who insults people because they don't follow out dated social practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area