Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:56 PM

153 posts, read 535,874 times

Advertisements

You've got it! Really, if i was an interested outsider i'd be very inclined to look in the Knobs. For us that have lived in the metro area for our entire lives, the east side of Lville is perfect. My sister and her family live choose to live on the Indiana side because of the tax burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:07 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,259,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkeating View Post
Can you elaborate about taxes? I saw some data showing that IN taxes were slightly lower than KY (much lower than my current state of OH) on average. Just bringing our cars to KY will cost me 6% of the total value (~$2,000). That's an entire year of state income tax for me now.

From what I gathered, the state + local tax burden for the following states is:
IN: 10.7%
KY: 10.9%
OH: 12.4%

Data is from a group called "the Tax Foundation." I don't know anything about them other than that they publish these numbers.

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens Compared to Other U.S. States, 1970-2007
First of all, Kentucky property taxes are all over the board. You will find some areas where total tax is less the .75 and others with 1.5%

You will need to contact (if you haven't already) the County Clerk of the county where you are moving to get the exact cost of your move to Kentucky. Do not, I repeat, do not assume what a non-official person will tell you about any kind of property taxes whether real estate or chattel.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:31 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,151,549 times
PM Keating, that Tax Foundation website you found is good info. Still makes us happy with KY or IN since both are way lower than us here in CA! Thanks for that.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 AM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
PM Keating, that Tax Foundation website you found is good info. Still makes us happy with KY or IN since both are way lower than us here in CA! Thanks for that.
You need to check out S. Skyline Drive in Floyds Knobs, IN. Specifically, there is a very upscale subdivision called Plum Hill which has sweeping views of the city. Floyds Knobs is much more hilly than Oldham, with very steep slopes and bucolic vistas. I call it Beverly Hills, Indiana. LOL. Take I-64 west out of downtown to US 150 exit (Greenville exit). There are nice subdivsions along US 150 from the I-64 interchange all the way about 7 miles out to Greeneville. Between there, you can take a right onto Paoli Pike and go up into the hills. There are some new subdivisions back there with large homes that are priced at about 1/3 cheaper than comparable homes in Oldham. Floyd Central is a wonderful HS and Providence is a coed Catholic HS nearby that is excellent. All this and you are only minutes from the downtown of a midmajor city, and trust me there is virtually never traffic on I-64 coming from Indiana. All the traffic is on I-65 or I-71 and I64 heading North and East out of downtown. New Albany and Clarksville have all the shopping you could want. Check out Veterans Parkway and also Charlestown Road north of I-265 for shopping and more subdivisions.

Just a taste of what is out there:

Floyds Knobs Homes for Sale. Real Estate in Floyds Knobs, Indiana

Also, at the bext exit past the Greenville exit is the Georgetown exit of I-64. This is also a very nice and cheap area with some nice little subdivisions and kind of a country/bedroom suburban feel as you head into the old town of Georgetown.

This is coming from your city slicker moderator who decided if he were to live in the burbs, he would have to be close to city attractions, and believe it or not Floyds Knobs allows you easier access to urban attractions: museums, theatre, restaurants, and even Bardstown Rd, than does Oldham.

There are lots of other interesting options in the Indiana burbs. On the otherside of Indiana burbs, a good 30 minutes from Floyds Knobs is this:

Quarry Bluff Estates - A Unique Residential Development in Utica Indiana (http://www.quarrybluff.com/gallery.php - broken link)

Last edited by Peter1948; 04-21-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,151,549 times
As always STYX your a wealth of information! Thanks for all that, you too Tomocox, thanks again! I'm sure we would be happy in either place.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:19 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,534,858 times
Oldham County is nicer in my opinion.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 AM

27 posts, read 80,771 times
Thanks to everyone for the very helpful input. I've got an offer in-hand for the new job. If I can get a few tweaks we'll be heading south as soon as we can.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 AM

27 posts, read 80,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
You need to check out S. Skyline Drive in Floyds Knobs, IN. Specifically, there is a very upscale subdivision called Plum Hill which has sweeping views of the city. Floyds Knobs is much more hilly than Oldham, with very steep slopes and bucolic vistas. I call it Beverly Hills, Indiana. LOL. Take I-64 west out of downtown to US 150 exit (Greenville exit). There are nice subdivsions along US 150 from the I-64 interchange all the way about 7 miles out to Greeneville. Between there, you can take a right onto Paoli Pike and go up into the hills. There are some new subdivisions back there with large homes that are priced at about 1/3 cheaper than comparable homes in Oldham. Floyd Central is a wonderful HS and Providence is a coed Catholic HS nearby that is excellent. All this and you are only minutes from the downtown of a midmajor city, and trust me there is virtually never traffic on I-64 coming from Indiana. All the traffic is on I-65 or I-71 and I64 heading North and East out of downtown. New Albany and Clarksville have all the shopping you could want. Check out Veterans Parkway and also Charlestown Road north of I-265 for shopping and more subdivisions.

Just a taste of what is out there:

Floyds Knobs Homes for Sale. Real Estate in Floyds Knobs, Indiana

Also, at the bext exit past the Greenville exit is the Georgetown exit of I-64. This is also a very nice and cheap area with some nice little subdivisions and kind of a country/bedroom suburban feel as you head into the old town of Georgetown.

This is coming from your city slicker moderator who decided if he were to live in the burbs, he would have to be close to city attractions, and believe it or not Floyds Knobs allows you easier access to urban attractions: museums, theatre, restaurants, and even Bardstown Rd, than does Oldham.

There are lots of other interesting options in the Indiana burbs. On the otherside of Indiana burbs, a good 30 minutes from Floyds Knobs is this:

Quarry Bluff Estates - A Unique Residential Development in Utica Indiana (http://www.quarrybluff.com/gallery.php - broken link)

Thanks STX. I checked out Plum Hill - it looks nice but steep in more ways than one! We'll definitely check out Georgetown. Are the schools there as good as in Floyd's Knobs?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:07 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,259,562 times
Default I can't see why any one would be negative...

I don't understand it. Oldham County is a wonderful place to raise a child, it doesn't mean that other places are bad. Yet, I see people who seem bound to row upstream almost in a effort to discount excellence.

In my opinion, for all it does, Oldham County will win the match. Lay out 18 points of criteria. Challenge other parts of our country, our area, etc and score the 18 points objectively on a 1-5 basis. Then add up the golf-type scorecard, and while Oldham County won't win every hole, I am staking my career that we'll win the matches as often as Tiger Woods wins tournaments.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkeating View Post
Thanks STX. I checked out Plum Hill - it looks nice but steep in more ways than one! We'll definitely check out Georgetown. Are the schools there as good as in Floyd's Knobs?
Yes, it is all Floyd County schools. The Woods of Lafayette is another nice subdivision in the Knobs. Up and down US 150 are nice little subdivisions. Georgetown has a few developments right off the interstate and a nice little town as you head north on IN 64. It really looks like sleepy bedroom community not all too different than Crestwood, KY, just much closer to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area