Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 PM

257 posts, read 880,036 times

Advertisements

I was talking to my dad a few days ago about Louisville and its future (specifically the arena and support for an NBA team). He mentioned to me that most people in Kentucky aren't too fond of Louisville and probably wouldn't support the arena or many other ventures in Louisville.
I was just wondering what other people in the state thought about Louisville and the areas around it. Do people in Kentucky really hate Louisville that much? I'd rather this remain a rather pleasant thread. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,793,059 times
This thread addressed a lot of those issues.

//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...ouisville.html

Old 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM

70 posts, read 187,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
I was talking to my dad a few days ago about Louisville and its future (specifically the arena and support for an NBA team). He mentioned to me that most people in Kentucky aren't too fond of Louisville and probably wouldn't support the arena or many other ventures in Louisville.
I was just wondering what other people in the state thought about Louisville and the areas around it. Do people in Kentucky really hate Louisville that much? I'd rather this remain a rather pleasant thread. Thanks.
I worked as a reporter in eastern Kentucky for a year and there was some resentment that they had unfunded infrastructure problems while Louisville was building the Muhammad Ali Center.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,785,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
Do people in Kentucky really hate Louisville that much?
Hate is a strong word, but yes.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM

221 posts, read 750,625 times
Why is this?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 PM

70 posts, read 187,758 times
Many folks in rural Kentucky believe Louisville hogs the trough, so to speak. They're wrong, but that is the perception among many.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,782,836 times
Just in a nutshell, Louisville really is a nice city. When I lived there, I had both good and bad experiences. That said, when I moved there, my bad experiences with the people were SO bad that I've never forgotten about them and the good experiences have never quite seemed to outweigh them. It's a shame really. I'm not a mean, impolite, or socially inept guy, and I'm not one to harbor resentment, but I've not forgotten about how hard of a time I had adjusting to Louisville. It is so hard to meet people there. I would describe my relationship with the city as "like-love-hate."

On the flip side, if I stay in Kentucky, it would probably be in Louisville anyway b/c it offers the bulk of the state's arts, cultural, urban recreation, employment, and entertainment options. I'm not a huge fan of our small towns, which seem to be predominantly white trash with a honky tonk attitude (these types of people are generally different from true country people.) But, there are plenty of places in this country I'd MUCH rather live than Louisville and Kentucky.

I hope you like this place better than I did and do!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:39 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,052,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Just in a nutshell, Louisville really is a nice city. When I lived there, I had both good and bad experiences. That said, when I moved there, my bad experiences with the people were SO bad that I've never forgotten about them and the good experiences have never quite seemed to outweigh them. It's a shame really. I'm not a mean, impolite, or socially inept guy, and I'm not one to harbor resentment, but I've not forgotten about how hard of a time I had adjusting to Louisville. It is so hard to meet people there. I would describe my relationship with the city as "like-love-hate."

On the flip side, if I stay in Kentucky, it would probably be in Louisville anyway b/c it offers the bulk of the state's arts, cultural, urban recreation, employment, and entertainment options. I'm not a huge fan of our small towns, which seem to be predominantly white trash with a honky tonk attitude (these types of people are generally different from true country people.) But, there are plenty of places in this country I'd MUCH rather live than Louisville and Kentucky.

I am curious to know where in Louisville you lived and what kind of problems you had aside from meeting people. I am also curious to know where you live now.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad time here.Something I have noticed though is that alot of people who describe things like this have an attitude problem or something about them that puts people off. Have you looked at yourself to see if perhaps you are the problem?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:32 PM

728 posts, read 1,673,864 times
Quote:

I take offense to your notion that most of Kentucky's small towns are "predominantly white trash." I have found that most people in this state are quite nice, and I would put Kentucky up against any other state I have lived in (North Carolina, Texas, Georgia). As for Louisville, I grew up there and went to school at UofL, I love Louisville and spend quite a few weekends there visiting family/friends. I don't know the nature of your bad experiences there, but it does seem you are fairly quick in labeling and stereotyping most everything that is Kentucky or Louisville. As for living here, nobody forces you to stay or come back, there are 49 other options to choose from you know.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:51 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,292,703 times
Default Got a mirror?

Quote:

I have searched and researched for all the possible problems that could have caused your failure to connect in Louisville and Kentucky, and I think I have the answer. All you need to do is look in the mirror and you will find the same answer I discovered.

You may call small towns backwards, and you may accurately describe them as laid-back and even corny, but to call my family and friends "white trash" defines you as someone unable to understand what you see. This generally happens when a nose is turned upwards.

You are probably the kind of person what would defend a foreign country's cultural differences, but condemn our own nations regional cultures.

The people of Kentucky are fine people. You can't barge in demanding respect from them, but if you allow them to know you on their terms, you will be considered a part of them in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area