Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM

13 posts, read 50,502 times

Advertisements

I noted that too but how can this leaving Resident be wrong.?????The review is based on past experience.Has it been renovated really as in the advert?

"Under Going Multi-Million $$ Renovation!! Leave the city behind without leaving town! River Oak Apartments uniquely combines rural ambiance, urban convenience and cosmopolitan atmosphere, while providing a country club lifestyle. At River Oak Apartments, you are surrounded by luxury inside and the serenity of a country setting outside. Our outstanding services and extraordinary clubhouse will spoil you for sure. Come in and discover a new lifestyle at River Oak Apartments today! "

Is the River Oak in the Clifton area?

Last edited by fountainpenpen; 04-28-2008 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
It is one of a bunch of apartments on a bluff overlooking the Ohio River in Clifton Heights (which is immediately north of Clifton) I know nothing beyond that.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:08 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It is one of a bunch of apartments on a bluff overlooking the Ohio River in Clifton Heights (which is immediately north of Clifton) I know nothing beyond that.
People like it because it is secluded but it screams BORING, and it is some what retro and 70's looking, even though it is nice and clean. If your daughter is used to big city living, she will like the areas around Cherokee Road and Bardstown Road the best. Seriously, break out a map, and follow Cherokee Road around Cherokee Park. Look at Willow Avenue. Look at any road crossing Bardstown around there. That is the most walkable, urban, vibrant part of the city, and it is very vibrant and on a bus line that is very reliable that UL medical residents can ride for FREE that will drop them off one block from the downtown medical center!

Check the Craigslist.org listings religiously, get an address, and match it to these locales. I also responded to you in another thread. I am an urban expert here and familiar with the medical community of course.

Let me get you started. Here are great properties with great locations I can vouch for based on the most recent Craigslist listings, and 20 listings come daily. These are areas the realtors and big apartment rental pepole do NOT want you to know about, so it is up to urbanites like me to expose them. In the same way, Carraba's is NOT (by a long shot) the best Italian in the city:

(effectively) Downtown (actual location a highrise in Jeffersonville, IN, and less than 5 minutes to medical center)

Luxury Riverfront Condo in The Harbours of Jeffersonville (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/660539821.html - broken link)
Butchertown

Great Efficiency Apt all bills paid. (broken link)

Old Louisville

1891 Italianate Victorian Penthouse Flat In Exclusive Park View Lo (broken link)

1899 Richardson Romanesque Victorian Penthouse Studio Flat (broken link)

Germantown:

House for Rent (broken link)

Highlands:

MODERN LUXURYCONDO 2br/ 2ba (1/2 off first month)!!!!! (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/656555266.html - broken link)

Crescent Hill

Large Historic Apartment in Crescent Hill (broken link)

Well, you get the idea. I have highlighted the most rewarding urban areas close to the medical center. In general, the areas around and east of Baxter avenue are still a little safer than downtown and Old Louisviille, but these areas are still very safe and becoming more vibrant. Explore the city...it is a gem if you know where to look.

Last edited by Peter1948; 04-29-2008 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM

189 posts, read 628,767 times
His daughter will be too busy to care what the outside of the apartments look like. She will be so busy she will WISH she were bored!! What she needs to look for is a place close to the hospitals so when she is post call... she can go home and crash and not have far to drive. Trust me.... I know what she is in for and it is not an easy road. I am not trying to scare her or her dad.... but I am also being realistic and to the point.

We have a good friend that lives there right now (who is a 2nd year surgery resident) and he has been happy with the place at River Oaks. He just recommended a new surgery resident to look there and he too will soon live there. She just really needs to look for a place close to the hospitals that is in a safe area. Plus... it might be nice to have 2 other residents living in the same complex if she ever needed something. If I were her dad.... that might give me some comfort.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2TX View Post
His daughter will be too busy to care what the outside of the apartments look like. She will be so busy she will WISH she were bored!! What she needs to look for is a place close to the hospitals so when she is post call... she can go home and crash and not have far to drive. Trust me.... I know what she is in for and it is not an easy road. I am not trying to scare her or her dad.... but I am also being realistic and to the point.

We have a good friend that lives there right now (who is a 2nd year surgery resident) and he has been happy with the place at River Oaks. He just recommended a new surgery resident to look there and he too will soon live there. She just really needs to look for a place close to the hospitals that is in a safe area. Plus... it might be nice to have 2 other residents living in the same complex if she ever needed something. If I were her dad.... that might give me some comfort.
Most the places I listed are as close to or CLOSER than River Oak. I rest my case. River Oak is so boring, and it is not even that nice.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:56 PM

153 posts, read 538,100 times
it's a dump and overpriced for what you get.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:58 PM

42 posts, read 137,286 times
I am learning so much from this forum, and especially this thread. Thank you all for posting your thoughts and links to information and experiences. I'm continuing to check craigslist for 'affordable' listings.

Fountainpenpen ~ I have a Rand McNally laminated street map of Louisville, and from many of the threads in this wonderful forum, I've blocked out an area I would rather my daughter not consider for her first apartment. From what I can tell on the Google satellite maps (the smoke stack is obvious), The Lofts of Broadway actually front on Finzer St., which is right in the center of the area I've blocked out. Never having been to Louisville myself, I'm relying on what I've read here about where it would be safe for a blond, blue-eyed 20-something young lady to live alone, not too far from the hospital, and still enjoy what Louisville has to offer for someone her age.

Incidentally, thanks to bigbluedevotion's post, my daughter has checked her credit rating and score, spoken to a bank in Louisville, and found out the limit of the property she can afford to purchase. This, of course, is for future reference, but it has heartened her to know she may only have to be in an apartment for a few months while she gets her bearings. So, first the apartment, then we research areas for more permanent roots. This is quite an adventure!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightFlight View Post
I am learning so much from this forum, and especially this thread. Thank you all for posting your thoughts and links to information and experiences. I'm continuing to check craigslist for 'affordable' listings.

Fountainpenpen ~ I have a Rand McNally laminated street map of Louisville, and from many of the threads in this wonderful forum, I've blocked out an area I would rather my daughter not consider for her first apartment. From what I can tell on the Google satellite maps (the smoke stack is obvious), The Lofts of Broadway actually front on Finzer St., which is right in the center of the area I've blocked out. Never having been to Louisville myself, I'm relying on what I've read here about where it would be safe for a blond, blue-eyed 20-something young lady to live alone, not too far from the hospital, and still enjoy what Louisville has to offer for someone her age.

Incidentally, thanks to bigbluedevotion's post, my daughter has checked her credit rating and score, spoken to a bank in Louisville, and found out the limit of the property she can afford to purchase. This, of course, is for future reference, but it has heartened her to know she may only have to be in an apartment for a few months while she gets her bearings. So, first the apartment, then we research areas for more permanent roots. This is quite an adventure!

I wouldn't "block out" downtown. The area bounded by 9th on the west, Broadway on the south, shelby on the east, and the river on the north are by and large very safe areas, albeit gentrifying in parts. The reason the Lofts of Broadway are a little sketchy is because there is a large housing project behind them. Other than that, those lofts are absolutely so cool! The only area east of 9th/7th street worth blacking out is the area bounded by Broadway/Finzer on the north, Logan street on the east, Oak on the south, and Brook on the west. This neighbrorhood, known as Smoketown, is somewhat dangerous but rapidly gentrifying in parts, especially around the beautiful Shelby Park. Still, there is a lot of urban decay and urban "prairie" in this zone.

As far as downtown, I would focus on the following: Kentucky Towers, Barrington Place, The St Francis, Crescent Center, the Henry Clay, and Phoenix Hill apartments.

Censusdata has some wonderful maps from the city and Lojic should your daughter wish to rent in those areas. Again, the Bardstown road corridor is the most vibrant urban area, from Barret avenue on east. again, private message me if any more questions

Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 PM

42 posts, read 137,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
The only area east of 9th/7th street worth blacking out is the area bounded by Broadway/Finzer on the north, Logan street on the east, Oak on the south, and Brook on the west.
Stx ~ That is almost exactly the area I blocked out. From Broadway, I extended the area just a little east to Swan, then SW along the tracks to I-65, south to Belnap Campus. I extended it to S. 1st St. on the west, just to have a little distance from I-65.

Downtown is definitely a possibility. In the long run, it'll be up to my daughter as to where she feels comfortable.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Cathedral Commons is a really safe looking apartment complex that opened on 2nd Street in 2006... it might be worth looking into as well

Cathedral Commons Apartments Louisville, KY - Apartments for Rent in Louisville Kentucky (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area