U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 02:05 PM

11,144 posts, read 23,096,903 times

Advertisements

By this I mean a street/ corridor which has potential to become lined with restaurants and boutiques and filled with young professionals similar to Frankfort Ave or Baxter Ave

Here are my picks
1. Shelby Street/ Preston Hwy (north of I-264) This area is already starting to become a mini Highlands. There has been a concentrated effort to get more sit down restaurants along Preston Highway, along with improved sidewalks and curb trees.

The Shelby Street area north or Eastern Parkway is also starting to revive with 2 new restaurants in the past couple months. There are dozens of unused store fronts along this stretch. Shelby Street is quit safe and runs just east of both the U of L Belknap & Medical campuses.

Areas that have potential, but need a lot of improvements: Portland Ave, Oak Street, and 4th Street from U of L to Central Ave
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:21 PM

153 posts, read 508,396 times
4st or 3rd in old lville will be spectacular in 20 years! If centre city actually happens, it'll happen sooner than 20 years.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,207,076 times
I really think it is fourth street, south of fourth street live. like he said, if center city gets built, this area will explode. It may be at least 5 years though...

Census, the only chance for Portland Ave is when they extend river road west out of downtown and some sort of warehouse district develops around 15th north of main, where all those old 4 story warehouses are. I personally cannot see it happening anytime within the next ten years. However, the only way it has a chance is if Museum Plaza gets built and river road gets extended...if 8664 ever came to fruition that area could explode, along with Butchertown (which already is).

Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 PM

Isn't 4th Street from Chestnut to Broadway ALREADY a major shopping & dining area?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM

31 posts, read 46,837 times
That's a good call on Shelby/Preston. It may well be 10-20 years, but I'd add Logan into the mix.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basinstblues View Post
That's a good call on Shelby/Preston. It may well be 10-20 years, but I'd add Logan into the mix.
10 to 20 years? There has ALREADY been 10 sit down restaurants added from just north of Eastern Parkway to I-264 along Preston Highway/ Street. The RR overpass on Preston was repainted and lamp post were added as well.

You East Enders may be surprised how affluent the Audubon area is and how great the schools are. Audubon Traditional is one of the best elementary schools in KY, with a 107.5 CATS score. (no, it's not a magnet school).

Median Household Income

Audubon Park $60,000
Middletown $53,608
Parkway Village $43,393
Lyndon $42,974
St Matthews $42,219

Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 AM

7,021 posts, read 15,207,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
10 to 20 years? There has ALREADY been 10 sit down restaurants added from just north of Eastern Parkway to I-264 along Preston Highway/ Street. The RR overpass on Preston was repainted and lamp post were added as well.

You East Enders may be surprised how affluent the Audubon area is and how great the schools are. Audubon Traditional is one of the best elementary schools in KY, with a 107.5 CATS score. (no, it's not a magnet school).

Median Household Income

Audubon Park $60,000
Middletown $53,608
Parkway Village $43,393
Lyndon $42,974
St Matthews $42,219

Good point Census but you are comparing much larger suburbs to smaller ones Audubon Park is probably somewhere around 2000 people whereas St Matthews is 17,000. Still, you are right that there is a lot of money off preston north of the Watterson.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 AM

31 posts, read 46,837 times
The 10-20 years was referring to Logan, generally Logan/Shelby from Broadway to Germantown. Ideally, much sooner. There are such great looking brick buildings zoned for businesses all down those streets.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:42 PM

It seems like the general Shelby Street corridor (including Preston St & Logan St) is begining to fill in with new shops and restaurants, it's just a matter of time before is all becomes a Frankfort Ave type place.

East Broadway is quickly becoming a new East Market Street (which itself was quit dead 3 years ago) There is literally construction or renovations on every block from I-65 to Campbell Street - it could be a shopping connector from Baxter Ave to 4th Street.

U of L section (Shelby & Preston fr Eastern Pky to Lynn Street) In the past year a new coffee shop, bakery, pizzaria, & buffalo wings have opened up.

Audubon Park section In past two years a new Penn Station, 2 Itallian restaurants, and a pizzaria have opened along with yet another Subway.

At Poplar Level & Hess Lane a great shopping center has opened up which is a new urbanism gem - on site parking, but also pedestrian malls btw buildings (with outdoor seating) and pedestrian corridors in the parking lot. If you haven't been there check it out!

In between (Shelby/ Logan from Broadway to Lynn Street) In the past few months a new barb-e-q place opened at Logan & Oak, and a new sandwhich shop just opened at Shelby & Burnett, both in formerly abandoned buildings. I counted 15 more abandoned storefronts from Burnett to Broadway, giving the area great potential for new diners and boutiques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area