Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,541 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I had a friend who needed a place to stay to get back on his feet after hard times. I allowed him to stay with me in my apartment... Well one month turned into two and three etc. etc. It has now been approximately one year and after much discussion and argument he is refusing to leave and claiming squatters rights?

I pay the rent, utilities, and all other expenses to keep up MY apartment which is leased under MY name. The only contribution he has made over this time has been purchasing some food for the apartment and providing minimal funds to help from time to time (no more than $500 - $900 over course of year- which he stated he wanted refunded to him?) while my expenses for total rent and utilities, food etc. have easily surpassed $16,000.

What are in fact his rights? Is a 30 day eviction notice required under these circumstances? How do I get him out???

Any legal advise is much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 11:46 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan108 View Post
Long story short, I had a friend who needed a place to stay to get back on his feet after hard times. I allowed him to stay with me in my apartment... Well one month turned into two and three etc. etc. It has now been approximately one year and after much discussion and argument he is refusing to leave and claiming squatters rights?

I pay the rent, utilities, and all other expenses to keep up MY apartment which is leased under MY name. The only contribution he has made over this time has been purchasing some food for the apartment and providing minimal funds to help from time to time (no more than $500 - $900 over course of year- which he stated he wanted refunded to him?) while my expenses for total rent and utilities, food etc. have easily surpassed $16,000.

What are in fact his rights? Is a 30 day eviction notice required under these circumstances? How do I get him out???

Any legal advise is much appreciated. Thanks!
C-D doesn't and shouldn't be giving legal advice, but informally, yes, you'll probably need to evict him. You gave permission for him to be there. Even though he hasn't paid rent, he's established himself as an occupant of your apartment. He probably has personal property there too, right? Even worse if he's ever used your apartment address for official purposes (received mail, parcels, or had any bills sent there, shown the address on accounts like for a phone, or on other records).

What has your landlord ever been told about this "arrangement"? If he doesn't know anything about it and your lease doesn't permit a "guest" to stay with you longer than some specific length of time you could be evicted yourself for violating your own lease. If your "friend" was never added to the apartment lease he's not your landlord's tenant, he's yours. Up to you to evict.

The "loan" could be a separate issue. If the two of you agreed any money he gave you was a loan, not repayment for anything you could still owe it whether he shared your place or not. Sounds as if he's pulled this sort of thing before and that you need to get a much better handle on financial agreements you make with other people to protect yourself. Get it in writing and have a witness to corroborate your claims! Right now, everything is hearsay including this story.

Here's some tenancy information for KY. Follow the state eviction process:

https://www.hud.gov/states/kentucky/...g/tenantrights

Be aware that Kentucky may have put a moratorium on evictions right now due to Covid-19. Some landlords are offering "cash for keys"; offering cash if the unwanted person moves out by a certain date.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-02-2020 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 12:36 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I would kill him). JK. I don’t understand how someone could take advantage like that. So sorry.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:39 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Next time he leaves put his stuff in the yard and change the locks.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan108 View Post
...he is refusing to leave and claiming squatters rights?
How well do you get along with the Landlord?

Getting him out will require the LL's cooperation.
Done poorly it will mean that YOU will be leaving with him.
The specifics will depend on what the LL:Tenant laws in YOUR county and the lease say.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:22 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Next time he leaves put his stuff in the yard and change the locks.
Nope! This could get the OP sued for illegal eviction...especially now! Sounds as if this "guest" is more than capable of pursuing it. The suit might be tossed out, but not before a lot of inconvenience and more expense.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:12 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
If your lease is up just move without renewing.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:28 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I'd hire an attorney for guidance and help with the paperwork and then begin eviction process. It's worth the money. I sure wouldn't give up an apartment I like and move unless that was a last choice.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:49 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
when your lease ends, move.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:59 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,058 times
When you move, tell the landlord. That squatter will be evicted. Have you told the landlord about this issue yet? I would do so NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area