Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:20 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
But it is still the home of the Southern Baptist Seminary also, isn't it? That is probably the source of the confusion.

I personally would love to see a map that breaks down the political (and possibly even religious beliefs) by neighborhood. I can guess at the obvious ones but it would be interesting to see for the entire city. After visiting Southeast Christian for a day, I was amazed by the masses of conservative Christians that were in attendance. It was my first experience at a "mega-church", and it was definitely interesting.

Of course, some of my in-laws in Louisville are very conservative Christians,(and to them Southeast is liberal )so I do see a lot of that side of Louisville in addition to the more liberal experiences around the Highlands, etc.
I agree. It depends a great deal on where in the town you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 02:57 AM

12 posts, read 38,105 times
Thank you to those who gave suggestions for places to live. Your kindness is appreciated....a model of true community. Yet, no one commented on the educational issue. In your opinion, are there any general areas we should steer clear of due to a "snobbery" in regards to educational attainment or working class?

It has been quite a journey as we have waited on hearing where my huband's company will be sending him. We have researched the two options that were presented to us....Kansas City and Louisville...until I feel like we know more about both of those areas than we do our own hometown! But reading about a city does not compare to talking with real people who actually live there.

I have another question....
Does anyone have an opinion on if Eastern High or Ballard High would be the better school? I know they both have high test scores. I am more interested in details such as parental involvement, sense of community, and behavior of the teens. So far, my kids have good boundaries, and know how to think and act for themselves...but they are still young. I know it is easier for a teenager to be pulled down from standing in a chair than to pull a friend up into the chair with him. The whole "birds of a feather" thing. So, that is why the "behavior" of the students is important to me. Any insight out there on this one?

By the way, I do know that kids are kids. I have worked as a school teacher, guidance counselor, parenting educator, and counselor in private practice. Many factors contribute in determining how and why a child behaves they way they do. I am just looking for general statements about those two schools in particular if anything stands out as being an issue of concern.

Last edited by springtimegirl; 05-04-2008 at 03:40 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 03:10 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,580,860 times
KC and Louisville hmmm, I would go with Louisville over KC because KC is so landlocked the only other city you'd drive to is St. Louis, from Louisville you can get to Cincy, Indianapolis, Lexington and Nashville on the weekends. Though sporradic weather is also a lot milder, I've been chased by many lightning storms, hail and tornados out in KC, the neighborhoods do change as fast as the weather. Louisville does portray some industrial Midwestern trends as you say liberal, it also portrays Southern trends just depends on the neighborhood.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:27 AM

12 posts, read 38,105 times
Thanks, RangerDuke. After all of the research, we are open to moving both places, but would choose Louisville over KC. We're pretty sure it will be Louisville, and probably within a few months. This will be a huge change for us. Both of our families now live within 10 miles of us. My mother is retiring this year from being an elementary school principal, so she will be able to travel some to visit the grandkids. Change is good, and we are looking forward to what the future holds.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springtimegirl View Post
Thanks, RangerDuke. After all of the research, we are open to moving both places, but would choose Louisville over KC. We're pretty sure it will be Louisville, and probably within a few months. This will be a huge change for us. Both of our families now live within 10 miles of us. My mother is retiring this year from being an elementary school principal, so she will be able to travel some to visit the grandkids. Change is good, and we are looking forward to what the future holds.
In that case welcome to Kentucky!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:04 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
I'll have to say that even Louisville's eastern suburbs are quite working class in mentality compared to a place like Nashville, which is similar culturally to where I moved here from (Lexington KY)

My first job in Louisville was at a retail establishment in Middletown... I was really shocked at how middle class it felt despite being more affluent than many of those very snobby neighborhoods in South Lexington.

In Lexington you didn't just have to wear the name brand clothes, you couldn't buy them on sale! If anyone at school ever saw you going into a discount store like Wal Mart or Goodwill you would be tormented for years. Most of the teens I worked with in Middletown didn't care anything about name brands, and certainly not how much you bought something for.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:15 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,307,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springtimegirl View Post
Thank you to those who gave suggestions for places to live. Your kindness is appreciated....a model of true community. Yet, no one commented on the educational issue. In your opinion, are there any general areas we should steer clear of due to a "snobbery" in regards to educational attainment or working class?

I have another question....
Does anyone have an opinion on if Eastern High or Ballard High would be the better school? I know they both have high test scores. I am more interested in details such as parental involvement, sense of community, and behavior of the teens. So far, my kids have good boundaries, and know how to think and act for themselves...but they are still young. I know it is easier for a teenager to be pulled down from standing in a chair than to pull a friend up into the chair with him. The whole "birds of a feather" thing. So, that is why the "behavior" of the students is important to me. Any insight out there on this one?

By the way, I do know that kids are kids. I have worked as a school teacher, guidance counselor, parenting educator, and counselor in private practice. Many factors contribute in determining how and why a child behaves they way they do. I am just looking for general statements about those two schools in particular if anything stands out as being an issue of concern.
IMO only, Ballard vs Eastern is like Ford vs Chevrolet. While they both offer difference in the options and features, both give you good transportation.

Again, I will only share that you must also include Oldham County Schools into any conversation regarding the Ballard and/or Eastern. The primary difference in Oldham vs JCPS is the OC schools are uniformly solid performers, while JCPS has schools all over the academic standard scales.

As a professional working in the system, I will tell you that based on my conversations with educators, the frustration levels relating to bureaucracy, student behavior, and parental involvement is much better in OC than in JCPS.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
. In Lexington you didn't just have to wear the name brand clothes, you couldn't buy them on sale! If anyone at school ever saw you going into a discount store like Wal Mart or Goodwill you would be tormented for years. Most of the teens I worked with in Middletown didn't care anything about name brands, and certainly not how much you bought something for.
Honey when I was in High school pre-uniform days, it was like that here too. I went to Male at the time as well which back then (I am not sure about now) very affluent.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 PM

209 posts, read 738,906 times
It would be a fascinating study trying to find out why Louisville seems more egalitarian, less stratified than much of the South - and parts of the Northeast. There are snobs here - let's not front - but in the everyday movement of things there is a casteless lubricant at work. Where did that come from?

One key liberal force not yet mentioned is the presence of a fair-sized Jewish community (but not big enough to be able to find real bagels or rye bread here!). When I went to Atherton, most of my friends were Jewish, and they and other local Jews have been a force for change and progressivism.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:02 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
When I went to Atherton, most of my friends were Jewish, and they and other local Jews have been a force for change and progressivism.
Jerry Abramson being the prime example. He's not perfect, but I shutter to think where we would be had he never lived here.

Also, don't forget the presence of the University of Louisville. Plus we have an incredibly active arts program, but I'm not sure if that lead to more liberalism or liberalism lead to the arts program. Maybe a little of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area