Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,996,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Yeah, from a pseudo-outsider, I don't find Louisville all that liberal. There are neighborhoods that are very liberal, but the overall metro is moderate, maybe even slightly conservative.

In 2004:
Jefferson Co, KY voted 50% for Kerry, 49% for Bush
San Francisco, CA voted 83% for Kerry, 15% for Bush

A "mini-San Fran" it is not (and I'm not saying that is a bad thing).
I do believe that Census Data who is the OP lives in Old Louisville which is one of the liberal neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM

688 posts, read 3,027,640 times
I found this interesting - the Bay Area Center for Voting Research ranked cities as liberal and conservative based on their voting trends from that election. Louisville was ranked #86 for conservative cities and #151 for liberal cities!

Since almost every other place that I have ever lived was ranked in the top 20 of liberal cities, I suppose that is why I am much more likely to feel a more conservative vibe across the city than some others. This study also focused on political liberalism, as opposed to a broader definition of liberalism, but since that was the title of the thread I thought it was appropriate. It made a lot of connections between racial backgrounds, for example.

The study is pretty interesting if you want to read more: http://votingresearch.org/USAstudy.pdf

or just skip to the list of most liberal cities:
http://votingresearch.org/USAliberalcities.doc

Old 05-07-2008, 08:21 PM

31 posts, read 51,668 times
I have to disagree with the basic premise of this thread. Louisville does not seem to be anywhere near politically liberal. I guess my gut feeling is confirmed by some of the stats presented. There are a certain amount of Democrats, yes, but a Louisville Democrat is akin to a New York/New Orleans/Philadelphia/Seattle/Chicago/San Francisco/Austin/etc. Republican.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:23 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,772,891 times
I think Louisville is liberal in comparison to the rest of Kentucky. I don't think we're that liberal compared to most big cities outside of the south.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,129,267 times
My part of Louisville certainly couldn't be liberal. Of statistics presented by censusdata in another thread I live in a city section of less education and lower income. Currently, the local grocery store's parking lot has a huge billboard proudly announcing "Acres of guns".
My section is certainly not the place to display anything other than conservative and religious symbols, posters, bumper stickers, etc.
Like one previous poster mentioned Louisville liberal may be more comparable to northern big city Republican.
I find it refreshing to spend a few hours in the Highlands area, just to see that Louisville does have some liberal traces.
In many ways I find it hard to find much things liberal about Louisville. Maybe the Courier-Journal at times. The radio dial doesn't offer anything liberal. At certain hours of the day the conservatives must be torn between making choices of which conservative talk show to listen to.
Not long ago many cities across the nation marked the 5th anniversary of Bush's war on Iraq. According to the Courier-Journal, about 36 people showed up to demonstrate at the Louisville courthouse. The upcoming demonstration was not previously announced anywhere.
I've learned (the hard way) that a liberal in Louisville had better keep his opinions to himself.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
My part of Louisville certainly couldn't be liberal. Of statistics presented by censusdata in another thread I live in a city section of less education and lower income. Currently, the local grocery store's parking lot has a huge billboard proudly announcing "Acres of guns".
My section is certainly not the place to display anything other than conservative and religious symbols, posters, bumper stickers, etc.
Like one previous poster mentioned Louisville liberal may be more comparable to northern big city Republican.
I find it refreshing to spend a few hours in the Highlands area, just to see that Louisville does have some liberal traces.
In many ways I find it hard to find much things liberal about Louisville. Maybe the Courier-Journal at times. The radio dial doesn't offer anything liberal. At certain hours of the day the conservatives must be torn between making choices of which conservative talk show to listen to.
Not long ago many cities across the nation marked the 5th anniversary of Bush's war on Iraq. According to the Courier-Journal, about 36 people showed up to demonstrate at the Louisville courthouse. The upcoming demonstration was not previously announced anywhere.
I've learned (the hard way) that a liberal in Louisville had better keep his opinions to himself.
Can you not move to the Highlands so you can feel more comfortable?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 PM

27 posts, read 80,760 times
Well, if Kerry won Jefferson County there should have been more than 36 people at a anti-Bush rally. Maybe there are liberals but they're apathetic. Vote totals are a better gauge than rally attendance.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:50 AM

8 posts, read 23,283 times
The beauty of Louisville, to me, has always been that there really is no dominant political, religious, or social group. There is diversity in the city and for the most part, we coexist without much rancor. You have to love a city that will elect a gay, Jewish man, "Mayor For Life". A city that went for Kerry/Edwards in 04 and still votes Mitch McConnell back to Washington every six years. So I wouldn't label Louisville "liberal". But I would just about promise you that you can be as liberal as you want and most of the city wouldn't give you a hard time. Except on forum threads...

Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwithani View Post
The beauty of Louisville, to me, has always been that there really is no dominant political, religious, or social group. There is diversity in the city and for the most part, we coexist without much rancor. You have to love a city that will elect a gay, Jewish man, "Mayor For Life". A city that went for Kerry/Edwards in 04 and still votes Mitch McConnell back to Washington every six years. So I wouldn't label Louisville "liberal". But I would just about promise you that you can be as liberal as you want and most of the city wouldn't give you a hard time. Except on forum threads...
Jerry Abramson is not gay for the love of God. Where do y'all get this?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,772,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Jerry Abramson is not gay for the love of God. Where do y'all get this?
It's a rumor that was floating around when he was single for so long. My brother is a police officer and he swears the police dept started it when they were mad at him over a contract negotiation. Can't say if that's true or not.

You heard it a lot 15 years ago, but not so much since he got married.

Anyway, not that there's anything wrong with that, to quote Jerry Seinfeld!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area