Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where would you live ?
Louisville 12 57.14%
Jeffersonville 3 14.29%
Clarksville 2 9.52%
New albany 6 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2023, 08:31 PM
 
235 posts, read 247,384 times
Reputation: 178

Advertisements

How good is the bus transportation back-and-forth between Indiana and downtown (business district) of Louisville?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2023, 04:44 AM
 
4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Reputation: 9445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think it was Jeffersonville, on I-65 they had a bunch of cheap motels around there. A couple of them had big signs you could see ftom the interstate in big red numbers the price of a room. I well remember paying 6 dollars for a room back in 1973 or 74. It was kind of a dump but it was clean. I always wondered why the cheap motels always seemed to be on the Indiana side of Louisville. I don"t remember any of the nicer chains on the Indiana side along I-65.. I havent been there in several years so its probably changed alot since then.

Louisville folks could go to cheap places in Indiana for their shenanigans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2023, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Boilermaker Territory
26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Reputation: 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
How good is the bus transportation back-and-forth between Indiana and downtown (business district) of Louisville?
Thanks.
https://www.ridetarc.org/getting-around/routes/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2023, 07:14 AM
 
327 posts, read 221,748 times
Reputation: 779
IMO, the biggest problem with the Indiana side of the metropolitan area is no areas equivalent to Anchorage, Prospect, Riverwood, etc., which makes it seem "low-rent."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2023, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Boilermaker Territory
26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Reputation: 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
IMO, the biggest problem with the Indiana side of the metropolitan area is no areas equivalent to Anchorage, Prospect, Riverwood, etc., which makes it seem "low-rent."
Incorrect, there are plenty of nicer areas in central and western Floyd County with very nice towns and properties. Georgetown Township, Floyds Knobs, Greenville Township, and Lafayette Township. Definitely not as upscale as Anchorage, Prospect, Riverwood, etc. but far nicer than Jeffersonville, Clarksville, or New Albany.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-20-2023 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2023, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Indiana
25 posts, read 51,505 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
IMO, the biggest problem with the Indiana side of the metropolitan area is no areas equivalent to Anchorage, Prospect, Riverwood, etc., which makes it seem "low-rent."
There's parts of Floyds Knobs that are equivalent to Anchorage and Prospect for sure. Chambord is one, just at the top of Paoli Pike Road. Some of those homes have sweeping views of the the entire Louisville area, with a valuation of around $1.5 million. And there's some really nice homes -- some could be considered estates with the acreage -- dotted throughout Galena, Greenville and Georgetown in Floyd County. Take a drive through the backroads, you'll see.

I personally don't want more growth in Floyd -- the rolling countryside look fine the way it is. Georgetown has experienced growth with a couple of subdivisions. In Galena there hasn't been too much development but I figure it'll happen. There's really no "low-rent" places in Georgetown, Galena or Greenville.

Last edited by HoraceDerwent; 05-14-2023 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2023, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Boilermaker Territory
26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Reputation: 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceDerwent View Post
There's parts of Floyds Knobs that are equivalent to Anchorage and Prospect for sure. Chambord is one, just at the top of Paoli Pike Road. Some of those homes have sweeping views of the the entire Louisville area, with a valuation of around $1.5 million. And there's some really nice homes -- some could be considered estates with the acreage -- dotted throughout Galena, Greenville and Georgetown in Floyd County. Take a drive through the backroads, you'll see.

I personally don't want more growth in Floyd -- the rolling countryside look fine the way it is. Georgetown has experienced growth with a couple of subdivisions. In Galena there hasn't been too much development but I figure it'll happen. There's really no "low-rent" places in Georgetown, Galena or Greenville.
Agreed on all accounts, I live in west-central Floyd County in an established older neighborhood, but despise the Floyd County Planning Commission "rubber stamping" the large number of small lot subdivisions without improving any of the road infrastructure at all. The upgrading to city sewer level standards mean the rural character of Georgetown will quickly get destroyed by greedy developers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2023, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Louisville
5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Reputation: 9623
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Agreed on all accounts, I live in west-central Floyd County in an established older neighborhood, but despise the Floyd County Planning Commission "rubber stamping" the large number of small lot subdivisions without improving any of the road infrastructure at all. The upgrading to city sewer level standards mean the rural character of Georgetown will quickly get destroyed by greedy developers.
What would you say are the benefits of living on the IN side over the KY side? I've been tossing around the idea of moving to the IN side when my lease is up, but I'm not sure I want to give up the benefits of my neighborhood in the Highlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2023, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Boilermaker Territory
26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Reputation: 19539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
What would you say are the benefits of living on the IN side over the KY side? I've been tossing around the idea of moving to the IN side when my lease is up, but I'm not sure I want to give up the benefits of my neighborhood in the Highlands.
The advantages for buying real estate in Indiana, are that property taxes are capped at 1% of assessed value (state law), with local school add on items that can be added onto it. Prices for houses were lower, but have increased substantially after 2020 and the pandemic. I much prefer the Floyd County area over Clark County due to the greater tree cover, more elevation/cooler temperatures, and better quality schools. New Albany has been hurt by the poorly thought out Downtown road construction projects, and the Sherman Minton bridge debacles, but is still nicer than Jeffersonville or Clarksville.
It also depends on what you're looking at spending on a house. To get anything decent in Floyd County that isn't in the city of New Albany, it will be $300-400K at a minimum.
New Albany is a real mixed bag of nicer roads in close proximity to really junky areas with a sizable amount of theft/drugs/crime issues.
Median Household income for New Albany is only around $50K.
Most other areas of Floyd County, the Median Household Income ranges between $70-130K.

The main advantages of southern Indiana over Louisville, is much lower crime across the board, lower cost of living (housing), less population density/stress levels, and less traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2023, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Louisville
5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Reputation: 9623
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The advantages for buying real estate in Indiana, are that property taxes are capped at 1% of assessed value (state law), with local school add on items that can be added onto it. Prices for houses were lower, but have increased substantially after 2020 and the pandemic. I much prefer the Floyd County area over Clark County due to the greater tree cover, more elevation/cooler temperatures, and better quality schools. New Albany has been hurt by the poorly thought out Downtown road construction projects, and the Sherman Minton bridge debacles, but is still nicer than Jeffersonville or Clarksville.
It also depends on what you're looking at spending on a house. To get anything decent in Floyd County that isn't in the city of New Albany, it will be $300-400K at a minimum.
New Albany is a real mixed bag of nicer roads in close proximity to really junky areas with a sizable amount of theft/drugs/crime issues.
Median Household income for New Albany is only around $50K.
Most other areas of Floyd County, the Median Household Income ranges between $70-130K.

The main advantages of southern Indiana over Louisville, is much lower crime across the board, lower cost of living (housing), less population density/stress levels, and less traffic.
I'm less curious from a real estate perspective, between home prices and interest rates I've got no motivation to go anywhere near a mortgage right now. It's cheaper to rent until/unless things cool down. What about income taxes and car insurance rates? Kentucky has no-fault (which I've always hated and can't seem to escape). I can't seem to get a clear answer on Indiana income tax rates on the interwebs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top