Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 09:29 AM

10 posts, read 7,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You'd LOVE the Highlands in Louisville. Yes it's smaller than DC but VERY comfortable to an urban person like you. Those areas of Louisville are extremely liberal like DC and you will not notice much cultural difference except a bit more southern flair. Highlands are walkable, urban, residential and commercial, and there are walkable groceries, movie theatre, and tons of retail and restaurants from most ethnicities. The people are open, and accepting, and the schools historic and good. The front porches are great, and the architecture, like DC, is beautiful.

Old Louisville is great but it is pretty lacking in retail and only probably 30 restaurants. The Highlands has more like 300 businesses.

Why aren't people flocking to Louisville? Largely, weak local leadership is to blame. If they'd get out of the way and let the city grow, it would. It already is, and the trajectory post pandemic is promising.

https://www.instagram.com/liveinlou/?hl=en

https://www.gotolouisville.com/neigh...the-highlands/

Louisville is not great at marketing itself. The city is not flashy and the downtown, while it was growing fast pre pandemic, leaves a little to be desired after riots destroyed large sections. That said, it is already bouncing back with probably a half dozen large hotel and residential projects starting soon.

A trip to Louisville is NOT complete without a trip to New Albany and Jeffersonville, IN. Those towns have urban neighborhoods very much a part of Louisville. Spring street in both towns is a good starting point.

This website got taken out by the pandemic but here are some of my favorite hoods:

Neighborhoods | New2Lou
I can dig everythig except for the last link (i.e -. St. Matthews a neighborhood? It's s still a city with with its own neighborhoods! And the Highlands is made up of several official neighborhoods!)

The only way for the Highlands to meet the demand for all the ppl who want to live there is for those hundred foot driveways along Newburg Road to lined with tiny houses. There are already a number of condo and apartment towers in the Highlands, some of them close to a century old... how many more would it take to meet the aforementioned demand for places to live in that area, and where might they be built?

Another thing the 'ville has going for it is that it has one of the largest Cuban populations outside of Florida. We should be going to the Miami (and Jersey City) area(s) and distributing copies of El Kentubano!

And having grown up in the hills of 40214, it reminds me of movies filmed around similar hills in the Los Angeles area. I'd love to see angelinos move there as a place which reminds them of home *somewhat* (minus the Mediterranean climate of course.) Take the Parkridge and Candlelight neighborhoods for example. It would improve the character and reputation of the area IMHO.

And the areas in Indiana accessible to the east end bridge, such as the River Ridge area, are full of potential for demand will only increase as time goes on.

Last edited by Waiting to Leave; 08-08-2021 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 06:36 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting to Leave View Post
I can dig everythig except for the last link (i.e -. St. Matthews a neighborhood? It's s still a city with with its own neighborhoods! And the Highlands is made up of several official neighborhoods!)

The only way for the Highlands to meet the demand for all the ppl who want to live there is for those hundred foot driveways along Newburg Road to lined with tiny houses. There are already a number of condo and apartment towers in the Highlands, some of them close to a century old... how many more would it take to meet the aforementioned demand for places to live in that area, and where might they be built?

Another thing the 'ville has going for it is that it has one of the largest Cuban populations outside of Florida. We should be going to the Miami (and Jersey City) area(s) and distributing copies of El Kentubano!

And having grown up in the hills of 40214, it reminds me of movies filmed around similar hills in the Los Angeles area. I'd love to see angelinos move there as a place which reminds them of home *somewhat* (minus the Mediterranean climate of course.) Take the Parkridge and Candlelight neighborhoods for example. It would improve the character and reputation of the area IMHO.

And the areas in Indiana accessible to the east end bridge, such as the River Ridge area, are full of potential for demand will only increase as time goes on.
All great assessments! I grew up in Chicago, lived all over, and came back here TWICE. It really is a great place. We just need a good mayor!

Old 08-12-2021, 05:10 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
All great assessments! I grew up in Chicago, lived all over, and came back here TWICE. It really is a great place. We just need a good mayor!
And removing the mayor, who has been the mayor for over 10 years, will suddenly change the crime wave in Louisville.

When mayor Fischer started in 2011, the number of murders in early august were 29. Now there have been 119 murders in the first 7 months of 2021. And mayor Fischer is still mayor and even denies he’s part of the problem. That’s nearly 5x the murder rate in last 10 years.

Great breakdown of murders, shootings, stabbings and overdoses in Louisville reported by the police:
https://louisville-police.org/Docume...ide-Statistics

Good recap of the record breaking murders in 2020;
https://spectrumnews1.com/ky/louisvi...r-of-homicides

It’s not just increased shootings but the spreading of crime in Louisville. McNeely lake park just had a shooting. That’s next door to an elementary school and Quail Chase golf (city owned gold course). Louisville has changed and it’s fun to imagine what new demographic wants to move to Louisville but reducing crime needs to be at the TOP of the list.

As the OP said, tell why not to move to Louisville and ten years ago; that answer would be different than today. Ignoring the surging crime won’t help fix it. And the mayor is FINALLY leaving next year but ONLY because of term limits.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
And removing the mayor, who has been the mayor for over 10 years, will suddenly change the crime wave in Louisville.

When mayor Fischer started in 2011, the number of murders in early august were 29. Now there have been 119 murders in the first 7 months of 2021. And mayor Fischer is still mayor and even denies he’s part of the problem. That’s nearly 5x the murder rate in last 10 years.

Great breakdown of murders, shootings, stabbings and overdoses in Louisville reported by the police:
https://louisville-police.org/Docume...ide-Statistics

Good recap of the record breaking murders in 2020;
https://spectrumnews1.com/ky/louisvi...r-of-homicides

It’s not just increased shootings but the spreading of crime in Louisville. McNeely lake park just had a shooting. That’s next door to an elementary school and Quail Chase golf (city owned gold course). Louisville has changed and it’s fun to imagine what new demographic wants to move to Louisville but reducing crime needs to be at the TOP of the list.

As the OP said, tell why not to move to Louisville and ten years ago; that answer would be different than today. Ignoring the surging crime won’t help fix it. And the mayor is FINALLY leaving next year but ONLY because of term limits.
Dude...the mayor is the CLEAR problem. Crime surged the moment he was sworn in and has risen steadily. I am friends with two in metro council. They all hate Greg. He is SOLELY responsible. He swore until recently Louisville had no gangs. He left a lame duck police chief and dismantled the LMPD crime reduction, narcotics, and gang units. Will it ever get back to 2009 when Louisville was probably the safest large city? Maybe not, but I do think a new mayor who police feel support them, we pay more, beef up force, and crime will go down by 50%. Louisville will be back to 80-100 homicides in 3 years. Not great but will be better than average. At the end of the day Louisville has a massive population included in stats and is thus a top 30 city.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:50 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
Dude...the mayor is the CLEAR problem. Crime surged the moment he was sworn in and has risen steadily. I am friends with two in metro council. They all hate Greg. He is SOLELY responsible. He swore until recently Louisville had no gangs. He left a lame duck police chief and dismantled the LMPD crime reduction, narcotics, and gang units. Will it ever get back to 2009 when Louisville was probably the safest large city? Maybe not, but I do think a new mayor who police feel support them, we pay more, beef up force, and crime will go down by 50%. Louisville will be back to 80-100 homicides in 3 years. Not great but will be better than average. At the end of the day Louisville has a massive population included in stats and is thus a top 30 city.
Does the Louisville City Council even want more cops? They have no budget for the cops they have. It's not exactly the Mayor's fault that the state can't budget for their pension program properly. The Seattle city council has reduced funding by 50% for police and not surprisingly crime has skyrocketed and basic theft and other lower level calls aren't even being answered, as the cops remaining only have staff to cover major emergencies. Thus, the city has a huge problem with catalytic converter theft and other such issues, not to mention a worsening by the day homeless problem.

Louisville's chance to improve may have passed them by, but we can cross our fingers that a new mayor will be the answer - but if they're a progressive mayor, you can forget it ever changing for the better. (I say this as someone who is not Republican either)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area