Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 01:21 PM

17,260 posts, read 11,074,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
I've been in Publix when I was on vacation in Florida, but never knew it was supposed to be special. I shoulda paid more attention, dangnabit!
Yeah, you should have taken pictures so the rest of us could see what we're missing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 03:03 PM

13,363 posts, read 7,666,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Publix is based here in Florida so the mention about the cult following is very true. The cult following is weird though because most people are not from Florida originally. So they never had dealings with Publix until moving to the state. So the cult crap is ridiculous down here. Its as if Publix was gods gift to Mankind. Publix never operated outside Florida until recent years. There all the way up to Virginia now. Though I'm not one of those in love with the store. Publix controls the grocery industry in Florida. Where I live as far as big Grocery Store's its Publix or its Walmart. The Winn Dixie location closed. Albertson's, Kash & Karry, Piggly Wiggly are all gone, it is one Publix after the other. Some of us only have 2 other options which as far as I'm concerned are not actual big major grocery stores. Sav A Lot and Aldi.

Publix does have clean stores and has a fairly good selection I will give them that. What is wrong is the outrageous cost of their products. Your grocery bill will give you pause for concern with them. Don't let the BOGO free people tell you how great the store is. One has to be buying the get one free product to enjoy that benefit. It's certainly not on all items, and if the product doesn't interest you then what good is BOGO.

When I moved to Florida in recent years I was concerned, that such a populated state was dominated by one major grocer. I felt Politics must play into it at least in Florida, because other states with Publix have multiple chain grocers. They have multiple Kroger stores or something else should Publix decide to open in their location. Not here at least in many areas of Florida. The lack of competition obviously is the reason for the high grocery prices here year after year.

So I hope if Publix is entering Kentucy. I hope your state will never become dominated by one grocer, and therefore the benefit of competition is not there. I never realized how important competition in the grocery industry is until I lived in Florida. Since Publix has been expanding in other southern states. My guess is they are trying to do the same thing they did in Florida. Completely control the grocery industry in any state they move into.
Well, I did grow up in Florida and grew up with Publix. In fact, working at Publix put me through high school and college. I've been in grocery stores all over the Eastern half of the country. A bad Publix location is still better than 80% of every other grocery store I've been to. An average Publix is better than 99% of grocery stores, and a great Publix location simply can't be beat by any other grocer. There is just no other grocery store like Publix, FULL STOP.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:30 PM

14,658 posts, read 7,962,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Well, I did grow up in Florida and grew up with Publix. In fact, working at Publix put me through high school and college. I've been in grocery stores all over the Eastern half of the country. A bad Publix location is still better than 80% of every other grocery store I've been to. An average Publix is better than 99% of grocery stores, and a great Publix location simply can't be beat by any other grocer. There is just no other grocery store like Publix, FULL STOP.

Enlighten us on the difference then please. Never been there. How is it different. What makes it special/

stand out?

Old 09-14-2021, 04:12 PM

13,363 posts, read 7,666,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Enlighten us on the difference then please. Never been there. How is it different. What makes it special/

stand out?
They have a very clever technique of hooking you when you're young. Their top notch bakery gives free cookies to children, so you start out from your childhood days associating a visit to Publix with receiving a cookie.

Have you ever thought to yourself, "Yes! I get to go to the grocery store today, I can't wait!"?

I get that feeling regularly.

What Makes Publix So Great

Old 09-14-2021, 04:47 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,052,888 times
Eh. I find them cleaner and yes customer service wise better than most grocers. Wegman's is up there with them with service and passes most stores on variety (primarily due to footprint design and business model). Kroger may be a tier or step behind depending on market and brand. But all those are way better than Safeway, Albertsons, the Ahold Delhaize conglomerate brands.

Personally, Publix is too expensive for my tastes for the products you get, especially in Florida. I find the loyalty akin to HEB in many Texas markets, but with HEB and Texas, there is typically more competition HEB deals with, so their prices are more competitive. But I know what is meant by limited competition. Kroger has essentially done the same to anyone in the Cincinnati and Southwest Ohio markets. Their biggest competition is Walmart, Aldi, and Meijer in grocery and Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Fresh Thyme in specialty. Then their is everyone's favorite Jungle Jim's (love the international and other variety, but don't get the kitsch appeal of their marketing plan).

My personal opinions based on national travel between 2015 and 2019 around a combo of service, offerings and price:

Grocery Markets (max 60,000 sqft and not discount based - sorry Trader Joe's/Aldi's)
1) Mariano's - Chicagoland grocery chain now owned by Kroger
2) Kroger/Smith's/Ralph's/Harris Teeter/King Soopers
3) Publix
4) Shop Rite
5)HEB

Large format Supercenters or Supermarkets (over 60K and sell groceries and can sell other items - furniture and/or clothing - as well)
1) Wegman's
2) Kroger Marketplace/Fred Meyer/Kings Soopers Marketplace/Smith's Marketplace
3) HEB Plus
4) Giant Eagle Market District
5) Meijer's

Specialty Grocer's (hard because there are LOTS of these and some in just select markets):
1) Lunds & Byerlys in MSP metro market
2) Fresh Thyme Farmer's Market (large Midwest chain)
3) Whole Foods

Old 09-14-2021, 05:29 PM

810 posts, read 871,899 times
Publix is awesome. You pay a little more, but the customer service, cleanliness and selection of products is superb. Publix does reign supreme in Florida...Winn Dixie is trash these days (owned by Southeast Grocers).

I also liked Publix when I lived in Nashville, I frequented the one in Hendersonville and enjoyed shopping in a nice, clean store with friendly staff that I saw weekly. Kroger in Middle TN was nice as well, they seem to really invest.

I am now in Northern Ohio and we are stuck with crappy Giant Eagle. Nearby Erie, PA has Wegman's which is awesome too, sadly they are not in Ohio, yet.

I wish Publix nothing but success in Kentucky and think it will do well in high growth Jefferson County.

Anyone know why Kroger, an Ohio based company is not in Northern Ohio, that is so bizarre to me.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:01 AM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Publix is awesome. You pay a little more, but the customer service, cleanliness and selection of products is superb. Publix does reign supreme in Florida...Winn Dixie is trash these days (owned by Southeast Grocers).

I also liked Publix when I lived in Nashville, I frequented the one in Hendersonville and enjoyed shopping in a nice, clean store with friendly staff that I saw weekly. Kroger in Middle TN was nice as well, they seem to really invest.

I am now in Northern Ohio and we are stuck with crappy Giant Eagle. Nearby Erie, PA has Wegman's which is awesome too, sadly they are not in Ohio, yet.

I wish Publix nothing but success in Kentucky and think it will do well in high growth Jefferson County.

Anyone know why Kroger, an Ohio based company is not in Northern Ohio, that is so bizarre to me.
Easy. NE Ohio is dying. Horrible demographics, metro area population loss, declining GDP growth, and much more. Kroger goes for growth markets. Giant Eagle is AWFUL. Especially the store in downtown Berea. We visit the wife's elderly parents there alot and it is awful.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-15-2021 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Inflammatory

Old 09-15-2021, 04:34 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,410,138 times
I am glad Publix is coming to Louisville. That will be better for the city overall, increasing the competition between Walmart and Kroger. When I first moved to Louisville in the early 80's it was Kroger vs Winn-Dixie, another Florida-based company who has been barely hanging on for what seems like a few decades now.

My wife is a native Floridian, and reveres the Publix brand. The best way I can describe the experience is that it's like going to Chick-Fil-A, but for groceries. Super friendly staff who care about your experience, they try to help people bring groceries out to their cars (even though my wife and I were young and capable, they still asked us if we wanted help - and I appreciate that, because appearances may not be reality for some). Will it be abundantly noticeable on one trip? Perhaps not, but over time you notice differences in your experience versus another option.

I look at Whole Foods and Trader Joes as specialty grocers and not real big competition to Kroger or WM. Publix will definitely be that.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:35 PM

810 posts, read 871,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Easy. NE Ohio is dying. Horrible demographics, metro area population loss, declining GDP growth, and much more. Kroger goes for growth markets. Giant Eagle is AWFUL. Especially the store in downtown Berea. We visit the wife's elderly parents there alot and it is awful. Cleveland leaves alot to be desired despite its homers on these boards.
I agree! I hate it here in NEO. I don’t get the homers defense of it. Well at least Columbus has Kroger…sounds like Publix will be giving Kroger a good competition by encroaching upon their territory. Meijer is also expanding rapidly into the lower Midwest and Upper South.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:47 PM

3,375 posts, read 3,297,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Publix is a very mediocre grocery store chain from the Southeast, Wegman's is MUCH MUCH better in every way possible, Kentucky should be trying to lure them instead.
I have a VERY STRONG disagree on that, and I suspect I'm not the only such person. Publix's fried chicken is so good, that it blows away even the fried chicken at Jewel-Osco. Yes really, I think the chicken at Jewel is fine, but overhyped. Also don't get me started how much I think people overhype Jewel in the Chicago area, on a side note! Any of the other chains (i.e. Heinen's, Woodman's, and even Mariano's), beat Jewel IMO. I even like Tony's better, as well.

Back to Publix and Kentucky. I thought they'd try expanding in say like Bowling Green and Hopkinsville first, then try to jump north and east in KY including Louisville, Lexington, maybe Frankfort and Elizabethtown, etc. Also, wouldn't they have a hard time competing against Meijer and Kroger? I do wonder if Publix built a new central or north KY distribution center, so that they could try building stores in Louisville sooner? Well, I wish Publix luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area