U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Kentucky: Louisville, Austin, Raleigh, singles scene, hotels.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 PM

23 posts, read 70,605 times

Advertisements

I am a single guy in my late 20's who just graduated with a second Bachelor's in high school English Education (first was in PR/Marketing). I'm considering a move out of Champaign, IL, and have Austin, Louisville, and Raleigh on my list. I would know no one moving into Louisville and Raleigh, and have a younger friend and an older cousin in Austin.

I was in Louisville last year for Lebowskifest, and had a blast there. Bardstown Road / Highlands area was great, but I saw nothing else outside of the Executive West. Lynn's Paradise Cafe was great, too. :-)

What would make Louisville a good choice for a single guy looking for a change? How is the market for education jobs? Craigslist has been no help for the latter, and it's hard to get any sort of feel for where to live just based on price alone. I'm looking to meet someone, as well, and am curious to the prospects of singles in the area. Does a new, outgoing person get a chance to assimilate, or the cold shoulder? Looking forward to your repsonses!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,379,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova9 View Post
I am a single guy in my late 20's who just graduated with a second Bachelor's in high school English Education (first was in PR/Marketing). I'm considering a move out of Champaign, IL, and have Austin, Louisville, and Raleigh on my list. I would know no one moving into Louisville and Raleigh, and have a younger friend and an older cousin in Austin.

I was in Louisville last year for Lebowskifest, and had a blast there. Bardstown Road / Highlands area was great, but I saw nothing else outside of the Executive West. Lynn's Paradise Cafe was great, too. :-)

What would make Louisville a good choice for a single guy looking for a change? How is the market for education jobs? Craigslist has been no help for the latter, and it's hard to get any sort of feel for where to live just based on price alone. I'm looking to meet someone, as well, and am curious to the prospects of singles in the area. Does a new, outgoing person get a chance to assimilate, or the cold shoulder? Looking forward to your repsonses!

Hmm. Size wise these three cities are similar. I personally find people in Louisville to be more friendly and it is a bit more Midwestern "red brick" in character although much more southern than even Champaign. Austin is probably the most happening for singles but then again, it is a very yuppie vibe down there, and I found people somewhat cold or fake (blanket statement, yes). There really is not an area as eclectic as the Highlands, which is really what makes Louisville special. I like to think of Louisville as the "new Austin" as it was in the 90's before it started to grow faster than anywhere but Vegas. Raleigh has the most educated singles but then again, I really am not impressed with the arts and restaurants compared to Louisville. All in all, Louisville is the biggest bang for the buck, cheapest, and closest to your current locale. It is also the most Midwestern (although distinctly southern). Louisville also has a pretty nice singles scene, especially compared to where you are now. I think you would fit in in the Highlands, Crescent Hill, or St Matthews.

PS the executive west is a dump...stay here next time:

21c Museum Hotel | Southern-style Luxuries and Contemporary Art in Louisville, Kentucky (http://www.21chotel.com/hotel/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,044,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Hmm. Size wise these three cities are similar. I personally find people in Louisville to be more friendly and it is a bit more Midwestern "red brick" in character although much more southern than even Champaign. Austin is probably the most happening for singles but then again, it is a very yuppie vibe down there, and I found people somewhat cold or fake (blanket statement, yes). There really is not an area as eclectic as the Highlands, which is really what makes Louisville special. I like to think of Louisville as the "new Austin" as it was in the 90's before it started to grow faster than anywhere but Vegas. Raleigh has the most educated singles but then again, I really am not impressed with the arts and restaurants compared to Louisville. All in all, Louisville is the biggest bang for the buck, cheapest, and closest to your current locale. It is also the most Midwestern (although distinctly southern). Louisville also has a pretty nice singles scene, especially compared to where you are now. I think you would fit in in the Highlands, Crescent Hill, or St Matthews.

PS the executive west is a dump...stay here next time:

21c Museum Hotel | Southern-style Luxuries and Contemporary Art in Louisville, Kentucky (http://www.21chotel.com/hotel/default.aspx - broken link)
21C I would guess is much more expensive than Executive west I would imagine

Thank you STX for recognizing Louisville's Southerness. I really truly appreciate it.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM

23 posts, read 70,605 times
Default Exec West...

I only stayed at the Exec West for Lebowskifest. It was like the "Official" hotel or something.

I did notice a very awesome blend of Southern/Midwesterness that I liked when I was in the Highlands.

I am not necessarily concerned with proximity to IL, but mostly how well locals take in newcomers. I am a concert-goer / bar fly / coffeehouse kind of guy... and want some place where I can make new friends quickly. Louisville seemed like that sort of place possibly... but would like to hear from others in their experiences. If nothing else... Underground Sounds was one of the coolest record stores I've ever been to by far!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,379,091 times
Quote:
I only stayed at the Exec West for Lebowskifest. It was like the "Official" hotel or something.

I did notice a very awesome blend of Southern/Midwesterness that I liked when I was in the Highlands.

I am not necessarily concerned with proximity to IL, but mostly how well locals take in newcomers. I am a concert-goer / bar fly / coffeehouse kind of guy... and want some place where I can make new friends quickly. Louisville seemed like that sort of place possibly... but would like to hear from others in their experiences. If nothing else... Underground Sounds was one of the coolest record stores I've ever been to by far!

How about Ear X Tacy? it is very easy to meet friends here.

Backseat Sandbar

Keep Louisville Weird - Buy Local First

Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,044,093 times
Quote:

Honey then the Highlands is for you. You can walk to all of the above. You are an English teacher so I imagine you enjoy reading, you will also find a cool bookstore there too (or is there more than one?)

I am pretty conservative so the Highlands isnt for me but I think it is the place for you.

Oh and one more thing, when you live there get a dog. That is the quickest way to meet people. Highlands people from what I saw when I lived there are definately dog people. Hek, you can even take them into most of the stores and such there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area