U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2008, 04:43 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,653 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello!!

Just accepted a job in downtown Louisville...moving from Texas. I am so nervous!!!

Will you please recommend housing/apartment/neighborhood areas close to downtown near good schools?

I have a 12 year old son who loves football and singing (weird combo, I know) and a chihuahua who thinks she is human.

It's just us so looking to stay under $900 for rent. Also, is there an area of town that I should not even consider?

Thanks in advance!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,156 posts, read 23,119,587 times
Reputation: 11142
The best areas near Downtown with good public schools are Clifton/ Crescent Hill/ St Matthews (along Frankfort Ave), The Highlands (along Bardstown Rd inside I-264), and Audubon Park/ Schnitzelburg (along Preston Hwy & Poplar Level Rd inside I-264)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 13,556,993 times
Reputation: 2145
Why downtown to live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 07:17 PM
 
7,021 posts, read 15,223,283 times
Reputation: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Why downtown to live?
It's sure better than Oldham IMO...Tom, Lake Louisvillia road in Oldham is as scary to me as west Broadway is to you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,653 times
Reputation: 10
It's close to work. To be honest, I really have no idea where to look! I'm searching online and haven't found a good site that answers all of my questions about living in louisville. SOOOO...if you guys would name your favorite neighborhoods or suggestions for apartments I would really appreciate it. We want an area that's alive..but pre-teen friendly in the same breath..if there is such a thing LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 20,943,069 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnewsgirl View Post
Hello!!

Just accepted a job in downtown Louisville...moving from Texas. I am so nervous!!!

Will you please recommend housing/apartment/neighborhood areas close to downtown near good schools?

I have a 12 year old son who loves football and singing (weird combo, I know) and a chihuahua who thinks she is human.

It's just us so looking to stay under $900 for rent. Also, is there an area of town that I should not even consider?

Thanks in advance!!

Honey here's some school information. Parents (http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/Parent/Index.shtml - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 05:02 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 20,943,069 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnewsgirl View Post
It's close to work. To be honest, I really have no idea where to look! I'm searching online and haven't found a good site that answers all of my questions about living in louisville. SOOOO...if you guys would name your favorite neighborhoods or suggestions for apartments I would really appreciate it. We want an area that's alive..but pre-teen friendly in the same breath..if there is such a thing LOL
I wish you luck on your search. What is the area like that you are in now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 13,556,993 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
It's sure better than Oldham IMO...Tom, Lake Louisvillia road in Oldham is as scary to me as west Broadway is to you.
STX, someday, you will understand. The lady asked for a downtown location. If there was a reason for downtown, we should help her with that reason and make it best for her. What you don't understand, is simply the 12 year old.

One will also recognize that I responded by asking a question, not by suggesting a fix without understanding the need. The assumption that I will automatically recommend Oldham County is a highly foolish and inaccurate misrepresentation.

A single mom working anywhere with a 12 yrs old child "home alone" is a real issue that I not only understand, but lived as Mr. Mom to a 10 yrs old daughter. To have a 12 yrs old child "home alone" living in downtown, or near downtown, automatically adds issues and concerns for any parent, single or not.

So based on the OP's last response, I would suggest looking at housing in Lyndon or Middletown. The problem will be with her $ 900.00 cap which may not exist in those areas. Another area would be J-town, but that is complicated by the distance/time factor.

I might look at Jeffersonville, Indiana, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 20,943,069 times
Reputation: 2169
I agree with Tom. I don't normally plug Southern Indiana but Jeffersonville would be good. They have neighborhood schools so you have to be careful what area you in since you don't have a choice like you do here. You will also be pretty darn close to downtown. My sister lives over there and there are TONS of kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 05:46 PM
 
7,021 posts, read 15,223,283 times
Reputation: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I agree with Tom. I don't normally plug Southern Indiana but Jeffersonville would be good. They have neighborhood schools so you have to be careful what area you in since you don't have a choice like you do here. You will also be pretty darn close to downtown. My sister lives over there and there are TONS of kids.
I am constantly touting the underrated Indiana suburbs. It feels like you are in a safe small town yet you are on the doorstep of major cultural amenities and lots of jobs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top