Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 12,465 times

Advertisements

My wife, two children (6 and 11mo.), and I are going to be spending a weekend in Louisville for recreation, and possibly scoping the area for relocation, as we hate our current area.

I've looked up some things to do, and came across the tripadvisor site that had some not so glowing reviews of some places we wanted to go - science museum, and zoo which would probably be the main attractions for my 6yo other than six flags. How are these two places, I know a lot of those reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt, but I just don't want my son to end up having a terrible time. I'm especially curious about the science museum, as my son is really into weather and meteorological stuff and it looked like the museum had an area dedicate to atmospheric science.

Also, I seem to be having trouble finding some family oriented things to do (esp. dining out)...any suggestions? I really like the vibe I've been reading about on here about the friendliness an "keep Louisville Weird" attitude so I'd really like to support local business, especially the restaurants. Lastly, it looks like there is a vibrant art community, are there any other galleries other than speed, maybe some small local ones or possibly any printmakers/print shops?

Sorry for the long winded post - I appreciate any help.
Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times
It's been over 10 years since I've been to the science museum (when I was in 6th grade), but I remembered it being really nice. The Slugger Museum is very neat and even features a $1 batting cage. I went there a few weeks ago and there were lots of kids on the tour. You also get a free miniature bat with admission.

I don't eat out that often, so I can't help much about a kid friendly local restaurant.
If you want to see the real Louisville for desert stop by the Dairy Kastle at Bradley Ave and Eastern Parkway.

If you enjoy cycling you should consider renting some bikes to go on the Levee Trail in SW Louisville. This is a very easy trail as it is paved and very flat.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll have to check out the Dairy Kastle.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:29 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,996,471 times
For a fun place to go eat, go to Gattiland. It is a pizza/arcade that is alot of fun for kids and won't break the bank by any means. Here's a link:
Gatti's Pizza: Louisville: Home (http://www.mrgattis.com/location/louisvilleouterloop/index - broken link)

As far as the rest the zoo is wonderful and the museum is good too.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,631,263 times
Louisville is an art gallery and restaurant mecca. When are you coming? Try these two gallery hops:

F.A.T. Friday Hop

First Friday Trolley Hop

Louisville has over 20 art galleries downtown and dozens more throughout the city. The main concentrations are east market, main, frankfort ave and bardstown road.

As for food, your best bet is the Bardstown road corridor...Louisville has thousands of independent eateries and an extremely strong foodie community like I have never seen in a city this size. While in this area, take your family for a walk in Cherokee Park, It is beautiful and so are the homes on Cherokee Road and Willow Avenue. It is always lively on a nice day around there:

LouisvilleKy.gov - Cherokee - Cherokee Park

After that, go have ice cream here:

LouisvilleHotBytes.com

And you will get introduced to another beautiful urban corridor.

Sign up here and ask these very knowledgable foodies where to go that is unique for a family. Honestly, alot of it depends on how much you want to spend and how adventuresome (and behaved) your kids are when they eat out:

www.louisvillehotbytes.com/forum (broken link)

The zoo is very good. It is no St Louis or San Diego zoo, but it is for sure worth seeing and is in a nice area. The science museum is smaller than you'd expect for a city our size, but still fun for kids, and worth seeing, especially if you take them to one of the other museums within two blocks of there: the Slugger Museum, Frazier Historical Museum (where thhey have live jousting matches sometimes) and the Muhammad Ali Center (probably more for the adults).

There's lots more to do than that, but try that for starters.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:05 PM

Dairy Kastle is just down Eastern Parkway from Bardstown Road about 3 miles. They have HUGE ice cream cones for just $1 and lots of other stuff. The only seats are outside, so don't go in the rain.

As for bike rentals, there is a Schwinn shop near Greenwood Park (where the levee trail begins) that would **probably** have rentals. Here is its address and number. All the other bike shops are on the other side of town

Dixie Schwinn Cyclery
1803 Rockford Lane
448-3448

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Waterfront Park, or the Falls of the Ohio Fossil Bed and Museum - it is the world's largest exposed fossil bed!.

Here are some pictures of places that have been mentioned.

Levee Trail in the winter

The Belvedere

Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM

I don't know that I would take an 11 month old to art galleries and such but that is just me. Another place you may consider is Huber's farm in Starlight Indiana where they make their own ice cream :Joe Hubers Family Farm and Restaurant (812) 923-5255 (http://www.joehubers.com/barn_yard.html - broken link)

Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 AM

Hey - Thanks for all the great suggestions!

stx: we're coming from Hamilton, Oh. A backwards city about 30-35 miles north of Downtown Cincinnati. We're coming in around the 20th. Sadly it looks like we'll miss the trolley hops, but it does look exciting. Good to know also there won't be a shortage of good restaurants. And I'm sure my son will love the park.

Census: Thanks for that tip on the waterfront park. We might bring our own cycles down, but we're still undecided if our youngest is ready for our bike trailer or not, but the path looks like it has some great views.

Missy: Yeah, I'm not sure if she'll make it in the art galleries, but she's pretty quite and content most of the time, but I guess we'll have to see what the wife wants to do. As an artist myself though, I just can't pass up the galleries. And the farm doesn't look to bad either, sure my son would love to see all the animals.

Again, thanks for all the wonderful ideas - looking forward to visiting.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikyoto View Post
Hey - Thanks for all the great suggestions!

stx: we're coming from Hamilton, Oh. A backwards city about 30-35 miles north of Downtown Cincinnati. We're coming in around the 20th. Sadly it looks like we'll miss the trolley hops, but it does look exciting. Good to know also there won't be a shortage of good restaurants. And I'm sure my son will love the park.

Census: Thanks for that tip on the waterfront park. We might bring our own cycles down, but we're still undecided if our youngest is ready for our bike trailer or not, but the path looks like it has some great views.

Missy: Yeah, I'm not sure if she'll make it in the art galleries, but she's pretty quite and content most of the time, but I guess we'll have to see what the wife wants to do. As an artist myself though, I just can't pass up the galleries. And the farm doesn't look to bad either, sure my son would love to see all the animals.

Again, thanks for all the wonderful ideas - looking forward to visiting.

The speed art museum actually has a children's area so that would keep the children entertained. Hope you have fun!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:50 PM

The Planetarium at U of L is really cool

Gheens Science Hall and Rauch Planetarium: Tickets (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area